overall
RATINGS: 2704   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

2016 vintage - 12.4% abv 2017 vintage - 11.9% abv

emeinz (224) - Minnesota, USA - APR 2, 2012
2012 bottle poured into snifter. Nice aroma with lots of barrel on the nose. LOTS of bourbon barrel. Notes of coffee and vanilla. Black pour with a moderate tan head. Has a nice underlying sweetness that I appreciate. It was a little too hot with the barrel, but some age should mellow that out. Really liked the beer, but not easy to get a hold of. I wont chase bottles of this, but its too darn good of a beer to pass up if it falls into your lap (like this year)!

PGHbeer77 (571) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 2, 2012
Bottle. A boozy treat, but not worth the hoops I had to jump through here in Pittsburgh to get it. If it’s more readily available in the future, I might pick it up, but otherwise, I’ll pass. The scent and taste was just as promised: bourbon, oat, malt, coffee, and a hint of vanilla (mainly in the finish once warmed). I also picked up a lot of chocolate as it warmed. The appearance was a typical stout, black with a tan head, but the palate really stood out, big old chunky thick body with a silky texture. Wonderful.

CaraCurtis (117) - Nevada, USA - APR 1, 2012
I count myself lucky I get to have such great beer. Bourbon presence. Dry, oatmeal. Creamy, smooth. Balance is beautiful. It’s all over good in your mouth and the palate is very nice. Hues of vanilla, alcohol, espresso. Cheers to a beautiful mouth full experience. It’s awesome to read that so many agree this beer lives up!

jweite70 (1) - Michigan, USA - APR 1, 2012 does not count
This is without a doubt one of the best examples of the style that I’ve ever had. The key to this beer is it’s complexity. It manages to transition seamlessly from notes of vanilla, to coffee, and bourbon without any of them getting muddled. The balance is very impressive, especially considering the strong flavors being dealt with in this one. This is one of the few beers that actually has no trouble living up to the hype. Go get this one if you can.

bhiner41 (194) - Darien, Illinois, USA - MAR 31, 2012
What a great beer. Not as strong as I thought for an 11.2% beer. Excellent bourbon back note but the vanilla really shows and makes this a smooth sipping beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Rrauth (1196) - North Carolina, USA - MAR 31, 2012
Bottle. Pouts black with brown minimal head. Served at 57 degrees. Head disappears quickly. Smells like bourbon. Tastes like a smooth creamy bourbon drink. I think this is awesome. I could drink this almost every weekend day. Full body creamy body and texture. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

falco242 (398) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 30, 2012
Everything you heard about this beer is true, but I just prefer the breakfast stout bc the Bourbon isnt my thing. But go for it!

demmbonz (784) - Erin, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 30, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2012 Going in to this, I didn’t think it could possibly live up to the hype, but it does. Tastes just like it sounds. Breakfast stout that sat in a barrel for a year. Amazing.

hollardustin (330) - Indiana, USA - MAR 30, 2012
Pours black with a thin brown head. The aroma is boozy, bourbon, oak, coffee, chocolate, and vanilla. The taste is much like the nose, sweet, malty, boozy, and bitter on the finish. Overall, one of the of the best beers out there regardless of style. It’s damn hard to get, so buy your max if you see it.

rdixon77 (3106) - Georgia, USA - MAR 30, 2012
UPDATED: APR 24, 2016 Wow, closet to sipping a smooth whiskey that I imagine a beer can get. Nice deep burnt brownish-black color. The taste while definitely having the boozy, whiskey feel is very smooth. After the bourbon heat, you can get vanilla, coffee, chocolate, more bourbon, wood. Oily, thick mouthfeel...that, again, is still somehow nice and smooth. Great for some porch sipping’ while watching the sunrise.