overall
RATINGS: 2634   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

2016 vintage - 12.4% abv 2017 vintage - 11.9% abv

wrx72 (2) - Kent, Ohio, USA - OCT 23, 2011 does not count
One of the best beers produced by Founders. Had on draft during Cleveland Beer week at La Cav du Vin in Cleveland Heights. Smooth bourbon characteristic with coffee and cholocate presence. The alcohol is very well masked. I would describe it as having a beer milkshake. I could easily drink this beer all day.

DeputyAndy (636) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 22, 2011
Draft at Capones. Pitch black pour. Brown head with staying power. Aroma is roasted chocolate. Taste is much more stout that bourbon barrel. Oak imparts a subtle caramel and vanilla taste that compliments the roasted stout flavor. Nicely balanced and a completely awesome brew.

KingCecil (2086) - DENMARK - OCT 22, 2011
Bottle provided by FullObs...Thanks a bunch!..... It pours pitch black with a creamy brown head..... the aroma is coffee, chocolate, oak, bitter coffee and bourbon...... the flavor is bourbon, oak, coffee, vanilla, caramel, chocolate...... Roasty coffee and bourbon finish ! :) ......top Imperial Stout...... Love this ! ....

nsquishee (641) - Richfield, Minnesota, USA - OCT 21, 2011
Tap from Stub and Herbs "Darkness Eve". I love the bourbon presence and it’s thick, sweet body. Very chocolaty with coffee, molasses, and licorice flavors. Second only to Fulton War and Peace.

rickycore (5) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - OCT 19, 2011 does not count
If somehow I was stuck in some weird paradox and I could only have one beer for the rest of my life this would be it. Amazingly balanced yet extremely complex. Moth feel is soft with very little alcohol heat. Tastes of chocolate, woody bourbon and coffee throughout each sip.

orangesol (987) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 15, 2011
2010 Bottle poured into a New Belgium globe. A - Pours jet black with a nice one finger tall khaki head, dissipating down to a thin film, leaving S - Smells of coffee grounds, warm bourbon, light chocolate sweetness, dark roasted malts, and some dulled heat. A bit of dry oak and rubbing alcohol comes thru as it comes to room temp. Not too bad. T - Starts off with some dark roasted coffee giving way slowly to a mix of dulled chocolaty sweetness and some dry wood tannins. Finish is a mix of dark roast and muted bourbon heat. About a year in the bottle now and it seems to have dulled the coffee and bourbon heat a bit but that is to be expected. I like the direction it is headed in. Can’t wait to try this one again in a year. M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Big, full, feel with a mix of coffee grounds and dulled bourbon heat in the finish. D - Pretty good. Even with the high ABV. it is still very drinkable. The dark flavors can wear on you over the course of multiple servings but it is worth it. I look forward to this release every year and while I like this beer out of the bottle, I love it on-tap. Can’t wait to sit down with a draft and see how it shapes up.

eugenecat (13) - Nebraska, USA - OCT 7, 2011
Man do I ever love this stuff. The coffee on the nose, the body on the tongue, the fact that I can’t drink it slowly enough or quickly enough ... it’s just a fantastic and well-developed beer. Anyone who loves both coffee and stout must try this. One of the best combinations yet brewed. Another to seek out would be Mikkeler’s Beer Geek Brunch, which is one of the only beers of the style I’d place on par with Founders KBS.

Daytonbeer (730) - Ohio, USA - OCT 7, 2011
Ok....I thought I was acquanted with the best beers in the world. I’m ashamed that I haven’t have this one before. Wow. Aroma is amazing. Bouban with malts. Taste is coffee and bourbon. Vanilla lingers. Awesome.

TheHopster (1111) - Netcong, New Jersey, USA - OCT 6, 2011
On draft at the Cloverleaf during Founders takeover night. An extremely complex Imperial Stout with coconut, alcohol, coffee, bourbon & oak flavors and aroma. This is what we were all here for. The 1/4 barrel was tapped promptly a 5’oclock and kicked within 18 minutes! This beer enigma barely lived up to the hype, but what really could?

QuezXLV (423) - Virginia, USA - OCT 4, 2011
Vanilla and coconut in the aroma and a hint of alcohol. Very dark, almost black, with a tan thick head. The burbon is very strong but very pleasant; hints of vanilla and the alcohol is well hidden. Heavy on the palate and foamy; enjoyable. Only thing I’ve had better is Goose Island Vanilla Bourbon Stout.