overall
RATINGS: 2145   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Pours silky black with a creamy tan head. The nose is sweet with strong chocolate and caramel malt presence. No absence of hops gives Founders’ robust porter the full flavor you deserve and expect. Cozy like velvet. It’s a lover, not a fighter.

JDBaker11058 (2348) - Maryland, USA - MAY 1, 2011
Appearance: very dark brown, nearly opaque, tiny mocha head with a little lace. Aroma: almost completely chocolate, with some coffee notes. Taste: blast of acidic coffee up front, then bitter melted baker’s chocolate. Finish: chalky dry, with roasty burnt coffee and bittersweet dark chocolate lingering. Notes: Pretty good porter, obviously. I only had two bones to pick: the blast of almost lactic acidity before the good roasty coffee and chocolate flavors kicked it, and the overly prickly palate. Still a good porter, but I probably did it no favors by having a Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald immediately before.

Veldrid (120) - Canton, Ohio, USA - MAY 1, 2011
Almost black pour with tan head. Aroma is chocolate and roasted coffee. The flavor is a smoky roast note complemented by a sweet chocolate character. Solid porter and something that I keep in my fridge regularly.

XmnwildX12 (2079) - Farmington, Minnesota, USA - MAY 1, 2011
Tried this beer at the Casanova Beer Cave Festival (2011), had a potent coffee flavor.

hirigalzkar (3258) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - APR 26, 2011
Bottle. Pours black with a small beige head. Coffee beans and milk chocolate notes in the aroma. Coffee, a touch of chocolate, lots of caramel and a little smoke in the taste. Most of all coffee. Medium dry. Quite smooth and creamy texture. Well balanced. Elegant.

Nickls (2607) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - APR 25, 2011
Tap. Darker tan head with curtains of lacing, dark mahogany color. Lots of roasted malt in the aroma along with dark chocolate. Roasty qualities really dominate the flavor, bit of smoke, dark chocolate, and some dark fruits to round it out with a tiny bit of hop coming in. Drier finish, on a medium to heavier body. Nice.

Abio (1868) - BERMUDA - APR 25, 2011
Pitch black. A hughe light brown head that keeps growing and growing,... Roasted taste, lightly some sweetness. A bit hard to smell a thing. Roasted coffee, slight chocolate. Good porter for sure. Could use a small boost, specially at the smell.

TheGent (657) - , Massachusetts, USA - APR 24, 2011
WOW. Got a 6 pack of this because I have had some good founders expereinces and I love porters. Super deep brown color to being black with a capachino tan head that lasts well with good lacing. Aroma is a great cocoa nibs with roasted malt, great for malt lover like me. The taste is a little bitter up front and roast coffee, ending with maybe some bitter berries. Even smooth texture with a full head on top and lighter body underneath with medium carbination. A top tier porter

andyhwcinc (1886) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 17, 2011
Purchased at Archer Liquors in Chicago, IL; enjoyed on a cool spring Sunday after a 5K run while watching the White Sox. Appearance is beautiful, very rich dark brown with a prominent tan head. Aroma has a strong chocolate presence with hints of cocoa, roasted malts, pretty sweet in nose, and with all those notes I would expect some sort of creaminess/lactose in the nose but it’s not there, which to me is somewhat interesting as I was expecting it. But then again, this is a porter and not a stout, and I’m glad that the lactose isn’t present. Taste is extremely good, not too heavy and not really that thin, finds a nice balance with good carbonation. Hints of obvious chocolate but not dominant, along with a bit of roasted malts and (to me) a small hint of coffee in the mix. It rounds those things very well where each ingredient can be detected but not dominant. Has an outstanding drink ability to it as well, I feel like I can easily drink multiple in a row, next time I’ve got to get a 6 pack instead of a single bottle. For a traditional ’true’ porter that isn’t enhanced by additional ingredients (i.e. coconut, smoked malts, etc) I can’t think of a better one. Very very good stuff.

kjc51478 (441) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - APR 16, 2011
12 oz Bottle. Pours a solid black color with medium, beige head. Aroma is sweet and roasted malts with coffee and some toffee. Taste is amazingly delicate and complex with dark chocolate and coffee dominant but notes of roasted grains. The real strength of this beer is its hop profile - perfectly balanced with the malty sweetness. Pleasant hop grassy and spicy hop notes that’s not overly bitter. Great on the palate with a nice medium body and creamy texture. Amazing beer.

JFURYCAT (1078) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 16, 2011
This has to be my favorite porter and one of my favorite Founders beers and I was drawn to their IPAs. In fact I’m not a huge fan of porters but think thats wrong! Roasted malts with some chocolate tones and a sweetness which is well balanced by a bitter backdrop. In that backdrop is that slightly smoky rich ashy flavor which I dig in porters but usually they don’t seem to pack enough flavor in. This one delivers!