overall
RATINGS: 1653   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%
Pours a spectacular crimson red with a creamy tan head. Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts imparting a sweet richness. Reds Rye is impressively balanced with its hop bitterness and floral bouquet achieved from the dry hop. In the finish, the generous amount of malted rye used accentuates a spicy crisp finish.

Bottled - winter seasonal. On tap - year-round.

Note: Formerly Red’s Rye P.A.

zug4abby (287) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 1, 2005
Pours a red/amber color with a small head and a little bit of lacing. Aroma is slightly hoppy and floral with just a hint of rye. Flavor is refreshing and enjoyable with hints of hops and slight floral tones. Nice and smooth on the palate. Overall a very enjoyable beer.

barleyPops (1142) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - NOV 30, 2005
12 oz. bottle. wow the fluffy head on this one is like a 3" whipped cream topping on a ice cream sundae. powerful nose of citrus and floral notes. fizzy medium body with some malt and more citrus hops. if it smells like an IPA and tastes like an IPA then,,,,,well you know what I mean.

FlacoAlto (4182) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 30, 2005
Pours an almost clear, ruby-amber color that shows rich copper-orange highlights when held up to the light. The head is frothy, rocky, initially a finger thick and a full tan color with a bit of an amber tinge. The aroma is quit hoppy; a mix of herbal notes, pine and citrus. I get aromatic notes of candied orange peel, and grapefruit; both of which come to dominate the aroma after a bit.

The taste has a sharp hoppiness to it that carries through almost to the end, but actually mellows and becomes a lingering, smooth, sweet citrus note and a bright bitterness. This is definitely hop dominated, but there is a malt character here, which, through its caramel notes, helps to accentuate the fruity citrus character of the hops. As the beer warms up it begins to pick up some minty menthol like notes in the finish. I can’t say that the rye is really noticeable here; perhaps it adds a bit to the body of the beer and it seems to make it have a head with more staying power. As with many of the so called "rye" beers this is a hop bomb; don’t get me wrong, I definitely am enjoying this beer, but I am curious as to what the rye is really adding.

Frank (4188) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 26, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2005 Man, I wish I had a camera to take a picture of this head. Huge and rocky, like something out of a Coors commercial only thankfully not topping anything close to as lowly as Coors. The color is not so brilliant but is an altogether attractive hazy orange.

Really, I think it’s about time we admit that an IPA made w/ rye is an IPA rather than this "American Strong Ale" gibberish. The nose on this thing is huge, likely due to dry hopping but damned if I know their techniques--nice and citric but w/ sort of an earthy or green vegetal twinge. Still, very nice. The flavor is more of the same. That nice rye spiciness does come through in both the aroma and the flavor but, as is often the case in commercial rye beers, is overshadowed by the hop attack. Medium bodied w/ gentle but spunky carbonation. The green, earthy element comes out again in the finish. Overall, a very tasty IPA w/ a nice rye character as well.

Ughsmash (7508) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 22, 2005
Bottled. Hazy amber/ruby pour with a well-retained beige head and great lacing. Powerfully-hoppy aroma of fresh grapefruit, a hint of pine, and a huge dose of floral... but there was also a caramel base with great spiciness. Centennial hops abound at first sip, followed by a dose of Cascadey grapefruit... with just enough caramel to back it up. Finish was long and full of bittering hops, with flavors of grapefruit and a bunch of spices. This was an excellent treat!

iowaherkeye (2703) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - NOV 9, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 9, 2007 Never did get around to rerating this. 601 ratings later. Pours a hazy yellowish red with a one finger yellowish beige head. Aroma of spicy pine and citrus hops, also some sweet caramel malts. I will admit I’m drinking this way too cold, so I may need a third rerate. Flavor is much the same with some fresh resiny pine up front, all the while being quite spicy with a nice caramel malt backbone. Light to moderate carbonation, medium to full bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. Very tasty. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . All right, my first rating, so bear with me. Bottle. Pours a nice red with a moderate-sized head, which dissipates quickly, slightly cloudy. I smell hops--pine and grapefruit, which I love. Aroma kinda reminds me of Three Floyds Alpha King. I’m unable to pick out the rye , maybe due to the strong hops. Nice bitter aftertaste. I’m glad I got this one. Will have to try some other Founders brews. 7-4-7-3-17--3.8

Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - NOV 5, 2005
Bottle. Tasty stuff for such a low price. One of my go-to strong ales from one of my favorite breweries. There is a great malt backbone to the biting hop finish, and the rye takes one off-guard, its a like having a drink you’re used to and then something funky added to it, but not enough to entirely change it. A deep crimson hue to the dark brown color makes this one of the better looking strong ales. Solid notes of pine and citrus, and just a hint of soap on the nose and palate that I’ve never tasted before, so I’m hoping there wasn’t a batch problem. Given I’ve had this one so many times from the bottle and on tap, and this is the first time I’ve picked up the note, I’m ignoring the soap in the score.

kramer (6682) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 5, 2005
12 ox bottle, via trade w/ atpayne. Poured a light brown/orange color, slightly cloudy, with a small but firm off-white head. Good floral hop aroma, lightly fruity with a definate contribution from the rye. Slightly sweet base of caramel malt and rye. Subdued hop bitterness balances nicely with the more earthy character imparted from the rye. Medium bodied, soft carbonation due to bottle conditioning yields a great creamy mouthfeel. Good overall beer, and especially good job of accentuating the rye character. These guys make solid beer.

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - OCT 27, 2005
Cloudy red color,small off white head that left a decent lace behind.Hoppy grapefruit aroma with a hint of malt in the background.Nice malty hop flavor with a decent grapefruit side but there is no real harsh bitterness like you might think you’d get from so much hop flavor.It actually is quite mild in the hop bite and fairly smooth.I have to say i like it alot it’s not over powering at all and quite smooth and easy to drink which is what i like in a brew with all these hops.More then worth while having a few more of these around for later.

jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 27, 2005
Gotts be one of the reddest beers I’ve ever seen. The slightest of haze, with a bit of brown. The beige head lingers wery well and leaves some lace. Aroma is heavy pine/citrus from US hops. The heavy-handed hops pretty much mask the rye. I really don’t appreciate such an unbalanced beer. Not rue to style by a mile.