Fuller’s Anniversary Ale / Special Edition ESB

Formerly brewed at Fuller’s
Style: Premium Bitter/ESB
London, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 54   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
Cask: Special. Brewed to mark the 160th anniversary of the brewery. Originally released as Red Diamond. Bottle Conditioned for Fuller’s Fine Ale Club, and as Special Edition ESB for Michael Jackson’s Rare Beer Club.

Ingredients: 91.5% Optic Malt, 3.5% Crystal Malt and 5% Flaked Maize; Goldings. Dry hopped with Goldings and matured for 3 months.

Eyedrinkale (3214) - Astoria, New York, USA - MAR 27, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 18, 2005 Bottle 00396. Burnt amber color with a nice sized white head. More hoppy in the aroma than the regular ESB with some caramel. I found this version to be more drinkable. Perhaps a bit sweeter and maltier. Perhaps a different hop was used, I’m really not sure. I do know I could drink this shit all day long, no problem. Taste and mouthfeel are silky smooth without the usual taste I get in my mouth from regular Fullers ESB (like I want to brush my teeth). Thanks to Brenda (Beandip) for this beer.

TAR (2761) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - FEB 25, 2005
bottle conditioned: Shiny copper. Loose head formation slowly condenses to a rocky patch. Just a hint of airy phenols and candied apples beneath richly nutty malts and fragrantly earthy hops. Weightless, but heavily active, carbonation. Creamy malt structure of baking bread and caramel-glazed nut nuances balance the initial earthy hop sting. Hoppy acidity goes unmasked due to the fuzzy texture. Sharp mineral notes simultaneously exaggerate the appetizing dryness and brash Goldings bitterness while combating the body-bolstering nuttiness which progressively strengthens. Malts eventually lose their intensity to the dry, perfumey hop finish as a mere dab of toasty huskiness lingers. Well made, but it’s a touch too clean, flavorwise, and the fruitiness (apple) is a hindrance to the aromatic malt.

duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - OCT 24, 2004
[email protected] BF. Had it under the name ’Red Diamond’. Quite bitter stuff. Quite dry and grainy. There is a touch of sticky toffee, but quickly dries out with a woody, earthy hops bitterness. Slightly burnt, tea-like flavours. A bit salty. Pretty nice.

Joeh (2049) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - OCT 23, 2004
Cask conditioned at Twickenham beer festival 2004, day 2. The beer I was most eager to try. I travelled on the first day to Twickenham, meeting up with Chris_o and Duff. Despite promises of no beers being kept back and being told when we got there it would be on later that night, it did not materialise. So I returned with Duff the following day, to try a few more beers. This is the one I wanted to try the most.

Poured brown, with not too much in the way of a head. Aroma is typical Fuller’s and typical cask Fuller’s ESB, very nice. The beer itself is different to the regular ESB, still a strong, fruity and sweetish bitter, but this is hoppier & drier. The alcohol is more apparent also, but it’s not anywhere close to being overpowering.