Fullerís Vintage Ale 1998

overall
Formerly brewed at Fullerís
Style: English Strong Ale
London, England

RATINGS: 99   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle Conditioned.
The second in the series, this Vintage Ale was based on a Champion theme with the addition of Champion Alexis malt and Champion Northdown aroma hops. The result is a sweet, warming, creamy ale that is beautifully balanced.

egajdzis (6502) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 11, 2004
Hazy brown color with a small off white head and nice lacing on the glass. Aroma was fruity, scipy, sweet and malty. Taste also was sweet and fruity, some cinnamon and toffee, with very light alcohol present.

Eyedrinkale (3214) - Astoria, New York, USA - OCT 11, 2004
Cloudy brown with more head than Iíd expect from something of this vintage. Aromas of dried fruits and mostly sticky sweet malts. First impression was Iím glad we drank this when we did, as itís either right at itís prime or a few months past. Taste is mostly malt with some esters that keep this still drinkable. Mild hop bitterness, mellow orange peel, and toffee.

hopdog (12451) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 10, 2004
Tasted as part of a vertical tasting that included the í98, í99, í00, í01 and í03 (thanks Eyedrinkale!). Bottle # 38772. Poured a darker, cloudy amber color with a small tan head. Aromas and tastes of caramel, toffee, raisins and plums. Very light spices. Smell was also a little musty. This one seemed past it prime and on the decline.

jonas (7549) - Garching b. MŁnchen, GERMANY - SEP 9, 2004
Sampled at the RBESP 2004
Aroma has raisins, oranges, chocolate, a bit roast and noticable alcohol Cloudy amber, low creamy head. Quite spicy, wood, cognac roast, a bit chocolate , alcohol burn. Oily mouthfeel, low carbonation. Not that harmonic overall.

madsberg (11762) - SÝborg, DENMARK - AUG 5, 2004
Bottled: Clear amber coloured. Beige medium sized head. Vineous, fruity and light alcaholic aroma. Almonds, sweetness and some light port notes in the flavour. Has a light alcaholsweetness in the end. Quite like this.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUL 29, 2004
In the bottle at the 2004 Crescent Moon Vintage Beer Tasting. Amber to pink in color. So buttery. High in esters. Fruity and bulbus. I should start buying these up and aging them. They get graceful.

omhper (24977) - TyresŲ, SWEDEN - JUL 28, 2004
Bottled. Clear dark amber. Very sweet and really toffeeish. Caramelly and overly sugary. Mature salty finish with sugar and hoppy bitterness. Some beautiful flavours lures beneath the sea of sweetness.

JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - JUN 25, 2004
Cloudy, amber body with eggshell colored head. Smells english hops, dates, plums and squash big, sweet, complex and malty flavors. Yeast, grapes, alcohol, butterscotch, toffee all melding nicely on the tongue. Sampled from bottle# 53695 purchased at Toronado in San Francisco, CA. I just wish the Redskins would hurry up and make it into the playoffs so that I can next crack my '99 vintage I've been aging for over a year.

haddon90 (1634) - Newport Beach, California, USA - JUN 11, 2004
Bottle at Toronado in San Francisco. I was pleased to see this on the bottle menu. Nice hazy orange pour with a little creamy head. Raisons, apples, and some dark fruits dominate the aroma. Crisp taste. Caramel, some hops, and malt in the flavor. Definitely a treat to have for sure! Aged very well.

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - MAR 19, 2004
Since it winds up being the case - just putting in a repitition of my rating for the 1997 - I'm sure that I haven't done anything to be noted here for my intelligence and now to add to it all I have to say that I could have put more of these away rather than having had most of them when they came off the shelf. I suppose there was a slight reason - One, that I liked it despite being able to tell that it could easily improve with age, and the other was simply the price - I spent money that I really didn't have at he time and wanted immediate satisfaction. Now I'm paying for it in another way by seeing how this has improved. Yes, all the comments about plums, dates, figs ... there's just so much there. Damn!