Fuller's Vintage Ale 1999

Style: English Strong Ale
London, England

RATINGS: 389   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle Conditioned.
The Champion theme was used once again for this classic Vintage Ale with Champion Fuggles and Champion Optic malt. Slightly redder in appearance, this ale is full of body with a sherry-like flavour.

JPDIPSO (6257) - Wauwatosa, USA - MAR 13, 2002
Just a pleasant ale. A lots of malt flavors with a good hops balance. Not particularly complex, but age may help.

Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAR 9, 2002
The parts were all there...most definitely. Aroma was so subtle and fantastic and full. The presentation of this thing, from the packaging to the beautiful thin wispy head that remains after the pour, is wonderful. Delightfully complex flavors that others have mentioned, and it is very well balanced. But I echo at least one other comment that it seems barleywineish to me, and seems far stronger than the label's 8.5% indicates. In fact, my major beef is the big alcohol presence throughout beginning, middle and end of this syrupy, silky, full-bodied experience. It just wasn't for me. Aging might soften that?

Raytailgater (105) - Rockledge, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 7, 2002
Vintage ALE JUST ABOUT GOES ALL THE WAY FOR ME.dAMN GOOD BEER! pROBABLY BETTER IF YOU LET IT AGE. wHO WANTS TO WAIT?

clove99 (1) - Texas, USA - FEB 23, 2002 does not count
..................................................

jazell99 (1) - New Strawn, Kansas, USA - FEB 23, 2002 does not count
..................................................

Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 20, 2002
I have tried the 1999, 2000, and 2001 vintages. I have not noticed that much difference between them, but the 1999 seems to get the best ratings. I can't add much to the tasting notes, it was good. However, I was not expecting the barley wine-type flavor and sweetness. This beer is more of a barley wine and less a strong ale in my book. Still good, though.

VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - FEB 18, 2002
Bottled brilliance. Nose of port, sherry, plums, raisins with a Fuggle background is absolutely mouth watering. Deep bronze color is breathtaking. Deep malty start with notes of port and plums in the middle. Finishes with a pleasant mixture of malt and bitterness. The flavors just blend perfectly, as do the different aromas. This is just perfect in place of a B&B or a port after dinner.

MOboy (504) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - FEB 17, 2002
Man, this beer is a gift from the Lord. I am glad I know where to buy about 4 more boxes of this terrific brew.

Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 10, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2004 1999 vintage, bottle #62666: A wonderful blend of contradictions: Bitter, yet sweet, light, yet bold, complex, yet easy to drink, expensive, yet cheap.

TAR (2776) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - FEB 5, 2002
I picked up some candied yams?, heavy malts with hints of alcohol (rummy notes) and dried fruit. Off-tan teeny bubbled head with excellently retained ring whisp. A little lighter than I would prefer on the palate. I like a syrupy feel which some barleywines offer. I noticed a marshmallowy texture as well which made this truly quaffable. Are those plums I detect? Anything is possible in a beer this complex. Yes, it is loaded with fuggles, as the beer expert Venom nicely put it. Oh momma, holy moly. The champion hops and malted barley are so exquisitely used in this fine ale. Next up...2000, in the cellar for a much later date.