Fuller's Vintage Ale 2007

overall
Formerly brewed at Fuller's
Style: English Strong Ale
Chiswick, England

RATINGS: 337   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A classic Vintage Ale with an aroma which incorporates spicy hop notes with rich fruit character and leads on to a very full malty, fruity, sweet palate which has a surprisingly clean finish coupled with a matching bitterness.
I have handcrafted this beer from the finest Fuggles, Target and Super Styrian hops, Maris Otter malted barley and of course, our unique yeast to create a truly extraordinary unique brew. - John Keeling, Brewmaster

Cirrhosis (1283) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 11, 2009
"Bottle #30941 Clear copper body with an off white cap that is quickly disappearing, this is not the look a was expecting I was hoping for something darker more thick looking maybe I’m slightly disappointed. Aroma is very yummy, wood, mild pine, some alcohol, a cherry/grape (I can’t decide which it is)smell is over all very sweet but on deep long inhales a bitter coffee is noticeable. Flavor is nice and rich, oak, some tasty alcohol, lots of cherry and just the slightest hint of pine. There seems to be a mild hint of chocolate in the finish. Its tasty and of high quality it maybe didn’t live up to my expectations of it but I would gladly drink again.

Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 19, 2010
In short: A pleasant basic boozy and fruity strong English golden ale with spicy hops. Good brew.
How: Bottle 500ml. Consumed when about 2 year old. Bottle from tupalev… I think?
The look: Almost clear golden body topped by a medium off-white head
In long: The light nose is unfocussed, this is not an aromatic beer. Aroma is a bit fruity, and a bit, well, beer. Taste of dried fruits, grainy malts, construction wood, apricots, spicy hops, tangerines, some caramel. Alcohol a little apparent despite the not-so-high 8.5%. The leafy hops are more assertive than the typical English ales, by English standards that probably was a hop bomb when fresh. Smooth carbonation. Those Fullers Vintage Ale are never bad, yet they never excite me either. 2007, yet another year during which Nirvana did not reunite with Elton John on vocals and piano.

MartinT (10036) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 17, 2011
My Bottom Line:
Madeira, oranges and caramel converge over spicy hop bitterness in this tame strong ale.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A ring of foam circles the hazy, dull orange.
-The lightly maderized nose worked harmoniously with the residual sugars.
-Tame tartness peeked through the finish.
-The hop finish was still potent enough to balance out each sip with spicy, leafy bitterness.

4-year-old bottle.

VertBaconStrips (2402) - Blerkablerka, VENEZUELA - JAN 19, 2012
Still not sure why I’ve waited this long to even drink one of these... strange. Poured out a clear light orange amber brew with a decent sized bubbly light tan head that settles as a cover and leaves nice ropy lacing that slowly slides back down. 13 mins in to the Oilers v Blues game the oil are being outshot 18-1.... go oil. The nose is quite citrusy for this type of brew with oranges sticking out the most. Caramel is there and a bit of a herbal scent, a hint of biscuit maybe.. not sure. There is not a lot of complexity but some good depth for sure. I’m still impressed with the candy orange aroma. Tasty stuff with a good citrus bite and solid fruit taste with a surge of bitterness that fades quickly from its full strength but lingers for a while. Good spices that border on pepper, a bit of alcohol.. I’ve picked up a background earthy aroma.... more taste: tiniest of chocolate, plum, random fruit mix, you know... I think my taste buds have gotten bored and quit. It’s definitely not an exciting beer but it does taste good... just wish there was a more going on. Orange at the very front of the flavour set. OK carbonation, medium bodied, light dulling spice finish and a light coating on the mouth. If I have another bottle I’m going to let it sit for about 3 yrs before I get to it.

omhper (25753) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - SEP 28, 2007
Cask at Stockholm Beer Festival. Hazy amber. Sweet with syrupy malt. Salty and vinous with near full bodied. Thick but quite soft mouthfeel, notes of molasses and a lot of caramel. Fruity and appley with a long resiny finish. Intense and warming, yet a bit young.

Arayaga2 (2221) - portland, Oregon, USA - NOV 12, 2007
Sedimented amber with medium white head. Aroma is sweet with a hint of wet dog. Taste is biscuity with a bitter and alcoholic finish. Not quite what I was expecting. Looking at the ratings, it would seem this annual special brew peaked around 1999, and declined steadily thereafter. Comes in a nice little box, though. $7/17 oz

ABUSEDGOAT (2852) - California, USA - NOV 28, 2007
Hazy amber, moderate head with good lacing and retention. Aroma is earth, caramel, moderate to light hops. Medium bodied, some alcohol in the finish, somewhat sweet.

Heathen (1500) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - DEC 10, 2007
THOUGHTS: Very Brittish, but very subdued. I like Brittish when done right. I’m just not skilled enough to explain some of them. This was OK but I think it would be better after aging. I might have to buy another of these. Somewhat whiskey like. I guess it’s the burn. TECHNICAL: Bottle. Poured a clear, medium orangey amber with a very small, white head that mostly diminished. The aroma was light malt and moderate herb and flower hops. The initial flavor was lighlty sweet, while the finish was moderately sweet and moderately to heavily bitter with a long duration. The flavor had some caramel malt to it, but was mostly flower and herb hops. The medium body was syrupy and a little oily with fizzy carbonation and a moderate alcoholic finish.

BBB63 (6567) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - DEC 12, 2007
Bottle #121805 and served in Fullers Pint glass: Deep amber hue with lasting frothy head and good lace. Surprisingly hoppy nose for the genre, very grassy and herbal with an apple and strawberry esters, biscuity Maris Otter and a hint of dusty yeast. The taste is mildly fruit and malty with a balance of bitter and a note of bready finish. The mouth feel is soft and dry. I am not sure what to think of this beer for it seems not deep enough with malt and too hop forward but then that could be interesting in a few years. I just dunno... overproduced? Get back to me in 2010.

Brix (660) - DENMARK - FEB 1, 2008
Tasted 2008-02-01. Pours clear amber with an off-white head. Burned sugar dominates. There is a slight hoppyness to it - very slight! Also I get wood, port, and alcohol. It’s OK. Not as compex as I’d hoped!