Gänstaller Bräu Europa-Bier Elevator

Formerly brewed at Gänstaller Bräu
Style: Doppelbock
Hallerndorf, Germany

RATINGS: 112   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Europa-Bier. Collaboration between De Molen, Närke Kulturbrygeri and Jacobus-Bräu. Note: first batch was brewed in the kettles of Beck-Bräu Trabelsdorf. Hopped with Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo. Hops provided by De Molen. Recipe designed by Narke. Brewed by Gänstaller-Bräu in Schnaid.

olsvammel's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
olsvammel (7256) - Örebro, - SEP 25, 2010
On tap at Akkurat. Appearance: 4/5 It poured a hazy dark golden-orange liquid with a medium sized creamy white head. My brother said it shimmered but I just say it looked damn nice. Smell: 8/10 Even before sticking my nose in the glas I felt the hops. Lots of amarillo hops, fresh and fruity. Taste: 9/10 The first that struck me was the sweet and malty body, but then I got allot of Amarillo hops. It felt very fresh with lots of fruity hops. But this beer also had a palete of interesting flavours like bread, vanilla, fresh fudge, creamy caramel and some kind of candy that I couldn’t quite put in place. Mouthfeel: 5/5 Smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a thick body and low carbonation. Just the way I like it. Comment: This is one of those beers that I just love. It has a very nice balance between the hoppy bitterness and thick malty body. The Amarillo hops is breaking through but it isn’t overwhelming and works great with the other flavours of the beer. It was also very fresh and the fantastic mouthfeel made it dangerously easy to drink. If I would have had more time I would have had several glasses of this beer. The dangerous part is that this beer is 9,5% but the only thing I noticed from that was an alcoholic warmth at the finish. It had a complex flavour and there was something in particular that I couldn’t quite place. The best way I can describe it is some kind of fresh fudge, creamy caramel, home made candy combination. There is definitely allot of left over sweetness from the malt in this beer. Something that makes me think of Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter. This is a fantastic beer, it’s definitely the best Double Bock I have ever had and I would rate it as one of the top 15 beers I have ever tried. I might have to try it again a couple of times to give it a more correct judgement. But my first impression is very positive.

PotjeBier (3505) - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - JUL 8, 2017
7 3 8 3 16
Bottle, shared at July THT, in front of Kwartje. I had this before, way back when...Hazy brown color. Off white head. Aroma’s: bready malts, caramel, a bit raisins/dried fruit. Retronasal it’s caramel, light bitter, dark fruit. Flavor is moderate sweet, moderate bitter. Medium bodied. Long finish, caramellish and bitter. Held up really well.

mariuspoenari (2850) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - JUL 7, 2017
Bottle shared at the July THT. Hazy caramel pour with no head. Notes of caramel, spices, rosemary, light pine resin. Has that De Molen strong beer feel.

Svartvit (875) - NETHERLANDS - JUL 7, 2017
Bottle shared at the July THT. Pours caramel with a slight haze, small off-white head. Caramel, dried fruits, raisins, quite herbal. This is marked as best before 2011, still pretty good actually.

Maakun (6128) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - JUL 7, 2017
Bottle shared at THT July. A few years past best before date. Amber with soft stuff floating around and small off white head. Caramel, toffee, light roasted malts, grassy, light bready, dried fruits and herbal hops. Quite sweet and under medium bitter. Full bodied. Still quite good actually.

sjogro (4526) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - JUL 7, 2017
THT July, outside of Kwartje. Hazy amber, thin cream head. Sweet toasted malts. Honey, resin, chestnut, oak, vanilla, booze. Big sweet and light bitter. Medium body and soft and low carbonation. Pretty nice.

anstei (2450) - Zurich, SWITZERLAND - APR 14, 2016
Bottle, courtesy of Koelschtrinker, BB 13.02.11. Oh boy, this one’s unusual. Wood, vanilla, some resin, some almond, hazelnut. Very very bitter. Slightly off balance on the palate, probably from the age as well. Almost flat.

Beerhunter111 (21784) - P´Castle, GERMANY - JAN 26, 2016
33cl bottle. Pours almost clear deep amber colour with a small beige head. aroma of riped fruits, vanilla, wood, strong malt. Taste of sweet strong malt, vanilla, sweet riped fruits, wood, alcoholic finish.

rouhlas (3665) - GREECE - JUL 4, 2015
30ml bottle. Light hazy orange amber color with off white head. Malty aroma, caramel, bready, light hoppy. Sweet and light bitter taste. Medium oily body with soft carbonation.

PriorL (3068) - Gent, BELGIUM - JUL 13, 2014
At Hoppy Loft Brussels, with S&G Tasting group, first day trip. APPEARANCE: clear dark blond beer, small unstable off white head. NOSE: slight hoppy, grains, sweet. TASTE: hoppy, sweet, but expired I think...

Lilja (3305) - Malmö, SWEDEN - MAY 7, 2013
Smak och doft av fishermans friend, söt, oljig konsistens med en kärv beska. Vet inte vad jag ska tro om denna.