overall
Brewed by Gänstaller Bräu
Style: Smoked
Hallerndorf, Germany

RATINGS: 188   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
24.5° Plato. Affumicata: Italian for "smoked". Made with 95% smoked malt.

Brewed for Ma Che Siete in Roma. Note: physically brewed at Trabelsdorf until Dec 2010.

3fourths (9367) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 26, 2011
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2016 oh fuck. fatty meaty smoked ham nose instantly a 10, instantly one of the best smoked beers, best beers, best things i’ve smelled in my life. chewy, hearty, meaty ffuuuuuuuuu smokey sweet malt up front, tangy peppery late, 30 minute lingering finish. decadent, rich, toasty malt perfect balance of sweetness, toast, smoke and bitterness. fruit pith and rind, light herbal notes, some black pepper, caramel / toffee richness throughout. this is a malt showcase. hearty, salty honey glazed ham skin cracklins, incredibly chewy and smooth and full. this is what i want Schlenkerla to be to me again, but it’s not. I had oak barrel Urbock the night before and found it the poorest batch I’ve ever had, which made me uneasy at the time, because either my tastes have changed or the brew had. regardless, this was a magical moment and I don’t think any Schlenkerla has matched, if you can believe that. I couldn’t either. and I’m doing Bavaria for kellerbier and pilsner and not in the mood for rauchbier or anything high gravity on this day, but Andreas insists I try his rauchdoppelbock and brings me a glass from the back and my mind fucking melted.

obirt2000 (9) - Notaresco, ITALY - FEB 8, 2015 does not count
Un altro capolavoro del maestro ! Inutile commentare le sue birre ! Sono tutte perfette

alest (14) - Sofia, BULGARIA - SEP 22, 2017
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2018 Excellent smokey beer with mild taste and strong 9.6% alc and mid level of smoke. Loved it.