overall
Brewed by Gänstaller Bräu
Style: Zwickel/Keller/Landbier
Hallerndorf, Germany

RATINGS: 187   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47/5   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Note: physically brewed at Trabelsdorf until Dec 2010.

Ernest (7820) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 16, 2011
Draft in Strassgiech. Head is initially large, frothy/creamy, white, fully lasting. Body is hazy dark yellow. Aroma is moderately malty (toasted grain), moderately hoppy (flowers, herbs), with notes of honey and tangerine nectar. Flavor is moderately to heavily sweet, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly to moderately sweet, moderately bitter. Medium to full body, velvety texture, lively carbonation. Yep, 5.0. First 5.0 in seemingly forever. I had a bunch of dreadful-to-lukewarm beers in Franconia on this recent trip (and certainly some good ones too), but this one blew me out of the water. Utterly and completely. I’d even forgotten what a 5.0 experience is like. People who know me know I don’t get excited very much. Even 4.0 beers scarcely elicit a smile. This thing had me shouting, writhing, bouncing, grinning, beaming, dancing, and generally behaving like a moron. Every time I went back for a sniff and a sip, I was transported to a sort of beer nirvana...a state free of flaws and full of pure delight. 500mL of this and every single drop was ecstasy. I highly doubt anyone else will have a 5.0 experience with this beer, maybe not even a 4.0. A 5.0 is one of those situations that’s as much (or more) visceral than clinical. Yes, the appearance, aroma, flavor levels/balance, and mouthfeel all have to be astounding and flawless, which is rare enough by itself. But beyond that, it also has to ROCK YOUR FUCKING WORLD in a way that defies descriptors. This did all of that. If I had it again, would it still be a 5.0? Maybe, maybe not. Andreas himself wasn’t completely satisfied with this batch and claimed he had a new one going that was more hoppy...so I’ll probably never have this incarnation again anyway. Regardless, this was one of the best beers I’ve had in my life.

Manybells (3) - Waddinxveen, NETHERLANDS - DEC 20, 2011 does not count
The best Zoiglbeer i ever drink. Very smooth, very balanced and easy drinking. Good ingredients meets a good brewmaster. Drink and enjoy no more to say.

flavio_b (281) - ROME, ITALY - JAN 4, 2011
Since I am a very German Pils lover, I can’t say nothing bad about this beer. The taste is not to much bitter, very thirst quenching and if served at the right temperature is something very delicious. I think this beer should be present wherever you go, as regard places selling handcraft beers because of its simplicity and easy to drink. The body, is all in all light, when the carbonation is rather soft. I appreciate it very much.

TAR (2787) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - NOV 25, 2011
Draught in Strassgiech: Golden orange. Stiff, everlasting spackle foam. Charmingly rustic nose of cotton candy, orange marmalade, dusty yeast, peach fuzz and lemon rind. Fine, feathery, tiny-bubbled carbonation; much akin to a pristinely-conditioned cask ale. Initially hop-drenched with a captivating tandem of floral nectar and spicy nobles. Scratchy whispers of sprucelike hops produce a minty glow as ample licorice-tinged bitterness intensifies and accentuates the deeply flavorsome hops. Mild black-pepper tingle exudes as well. The resounding brightness and masterful cleanness on display here is simply unmatched. Hops continue to dazzle and transcend as the palate receives a bathing of fresh flowers and ever so delicate orange-blossom nectar. Simply an otherworldly hop profile. Nary a trace of bitterness to be detected, for this is ALL about the delicacy and coaxing every last nuance from the cone. The center boasts a marmalade fullness, giving the perception of residual sugar, which gracefully coalesces with the honey-drizzled toasty malt. Ghostlike malt has the weight of dust, yet somehow is beyond vivid and flavorful. Closes with breathtaking balance and finesse, as a dry, deep-rooted toastiness continues alongside the explosive nectar-filled hops. This is one of those rare moments where paralysis is induced through a seemingly dreamlike experience. A downright magnificent achievement in the field of brewing, and an absolutely superlative creation that has opened my eyes to the limitless potential beer holds.

3fourths (9358) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - DEC 2, 2011
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2013 draft at the zoiglstube. normally on every friday but the friday i show up, but pulled from a keg in the back by Andreas. hugely hoppy nose: prickly, green, grassy, zesty. yeast must, hop oils, honey biscuit malt, fruity orange, lemon and melon notes, zingy green hop flavor. honey biscuits and just-toasted grains... wow. it’s musty but completely soft; rustic and yeasty with noble hops as bright as they have ever been. floral yogurt is there at times with zingy, bright acid and bitterness, neither of which even approach brash or harsh or excessively out of balance. I want to be a critic and find something about this I don’t like but it’s very difficult. I could maybe give this anywhere between a 4.4 to 4.8, but in that range you can’t pick apart what separates one from another, rather for me it’s about where it ranks in your beer drinking life experiences. that said, this has to be the best zoiglbier in Germany. I went into this with TAR and Ernest’s impressions fresh and I’m always careful to be aware of bais from that sort of exposure, and usually I’m more of a critic if other folks recently have "wow" moments with something, but this really is it. I’ve been through Bavaria twice before this trip and I’ve been trying as much zoigl as I can, and this one is otherworldly.