overall
Brewed by Garage Project
Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 20   MEAN: 3.63/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
It came from the deep. Brewed for GABS 2014, using New Zealand grown Kombu (kelp), Japanese Katsuobushi (dried fermented bonito flakes), smoked malt and seawater in an attempt to capture that most elusive and enigmatic of flavours - umami. Far beyond the boundaries of the accepted and expected, these ingredients combine to create a monster of dark savoury smoke and rich umami complexity. Dear God - what have we created? Definitely not suitable for vegans - sorry.

dflb (75) - California, USA - SEP 15, 2017
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2017 The aroma is so different and extraordinary. The air of smoky malt is discerned. Then there is this scent that makes you go, 'What the hell is that?!' That is the bonito. There is a lot to talk about here. First, what is bonito? Bonito is dried, fermented, and smoked skipjack tuna, which is appropriately named Katsuobushi. It is flakes of this tuna that we taste. Basically, this beer tastes like fish. On top of that, umami is a flavor that is similar to monosodium glutamate. The body of the beer has the feel of the umami laced upon it. The smoked malt is big and has a lot of give to go with the bonito and umami characters. The kelp seems nonexistent, but the flavor reveals itself in the finish. You don't know the kelp is there until you keep listening to the finish. The kelp used is called Kombu from New Zealand. The seawater creates a complexion that we are not familiar with. This isn't water we normally drink. It is seawater and the salty flavor carries in the bonito taste. For more beer reviews, visit my blog: 'Drink For the Love of Beer.'

Scipio (1315) - Palatine, Illinois, USA - JUN 2, 2017
Pours a darker brown with a medium beige head. The aroma is different and intriguing. Its salty and very smoky, slightly floral, with some earthy malts and nuts. After the nose, my anticipation for what followed left me disappointed. Its pretty bitter, kind of salty, and kind of sweet. The umami that this one was trying for comes through. Heavy earthiness, licorice, caramel, mild smoke, seaweed, some soy sauce as well. Bitter earthy, umami aftertaste. Full bodied, smooth in texture, and average in carbonation. This one is really odd, and I’m not sure where to put this. I hated it at first, but the more I drink it, the more I’m appreciating it. I’ll definitely remember it.

thorongil2 (3638) - , Ontario, CANADA - APR 28, 2017
(bottle) clear, bright reddish amber colour with a small brown head; aroma of smoke; salty and sweet flavour with a long, light bitter finish; creamy palate; tasty

explosivedog (1942) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - FEB 11, 2017
650ml bottle. Pours dark ruby. Smoke, oak, fish, seaweed, cabbage, something fermented. Plenty of that stated umami character, but I’m not sure if I really want that. It’s weird, interesting, but potentially not all that nice.

Samtzu (651) - Palmerston North, NEW ZEALAND - FEB 2, 2017
650ml bottle. Pours a murky red/brown mis with white head. Rich nose full of spice and dark fruits and a note of something which may be soy? Full body which has that same soy taste with subtle bitterness which then develops into a lingering sweetness.

bozoNZ (784) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 30, 2017
Yip it’s got the salt and the smoke. 2 of my least favourite things in beer. It’s a bock and seems a pretty good one but 3 strikes and I’m out. Not for me sorry

zebra (2414) - Illinois, USA - AUG 4, 2016
bomber from craftbeertemple. 9.6% according to label. dark reddish brown, brought to mind sushi, floral, creamy. a sea gose? didn’t strike me as smoky at first, that wasn’t on the front of the label, but it definitely was. unique.

ShaneJ (903) - AUSTRALIA - APR 10, 2015
Bottle from Slowbeer (July 2014). Dark brown with red highlights when held up to the light, 1cm creamy tan head, smoky, salty aroma, sort of like smoked oysters, smoked pork hock, sweet vanilla, fish sauce, smooth, slick texture, alcohol evident, sweet, slippery, smoky finish. Ok, definitely something different.

alberti92 (159) - - FEB 7, 2015
Bottle from cellarbrations super store in hami hill. Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head. Aroma is really fishy and smokey with hints of seaweed. It's light to medium bodied with low carbonation. The taste isn't as bad as the smell. Straight up it has lots of smoked bacon with slight chocolate and vanilla. The after taste was way too much for me tho. It was like I swallowed contaminated beach water. Respect to the guys at garage project for making a beer like this but it wasn't for me!

Capa (3724) - DC, Washington DC, USA - JAN 15, 2015
Starts with a smokey and highly malty profile. Opens up to salty ham and miso soup notes. Interesting beer but the taster at the brewery was all I could stand.