Brewed by Garage Project
Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)
Wellington, New Zealand

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
API: A reverse IPA How do you brew a reverse IPA? Usually, high alpha acid hops are added at the beginning of the boil for bitterness, while low alpha varieties hog the spotlight at the end given aroma and flavour. For this API we’ve turned the tables, it’s time for the bittering hops to shine. It’s an all kiwi affair with low alpha Kohatu relegated to the supporting role and the alpha heavy Southern Cross and Super Alpha (AKA Dr Rudi) coming in at the end, giving a unique burst of hop flavour.

Most RecentTicked By

Skarecrow (1042) - North Shore, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - APR 6, 2017
330ml can Gold color with good head. Aroma starts off grapefruit, orange, pine and lemon then strays into brunt rubber territory. Medium bitterness with a citrus burst then more burnt rubber in the taste and an astringent finish. Not that great.

beer-yum (1950) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - FEB 23, 2014
UPDATED: AUG 16, 2015 Yet another interesting brew from the folks at Garage Project. While I’m pretty sure the beer would be better if the ingredients were used in the usual order/way the actual result is pretty darn good anyway and well worth the effort ( not least for the talking points it provides).

Jimthechap (2064) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAR 22, 2013
I’m intrigued by the concept of reversing the order of hops in the boil and I wasn’t entirely sure it was doing those hops a favour. After all, they’re expensive little critters and you want to extract the most out of your alpha acids. However, the moment the lid was popped off there was a nose full of shimmering hoppiness. It boded well. It’s a good looking coppery pint too with a slightly transient off-white head. Aromas of orange peel, blood orange, apricot and dessert apples there courtesy of the hops with a tang of maltiness that while admitting hops are the star, they need an elegant platform to show off from. There’s a creamy and then sherbety mouthfeel along with all those citrus flavours. Not a massive hit of bitterness as I was expecting, but enough to carry the flavour along and along and along. What strikes me most about this beer is the stimulation to have another mouthful and I know I’m going to be sorry when I finish. Faintly sulphurous upon a second mouthful, but not to the extent that it puts me off at all. I’ll still be sorry once it is gone.

omega (899) - NEW ZEALAND - FEB 19, 2013
Not the big hoppy bear I was expecting. Pours a nice dark rich brown with a generous soft pillowy head. Nicely balanced beer, but lacks a certain panache to keep me interested.