overall
Brewed by Garrison Brewing Company
Style: Baltic Porter
Halifax, Canada

RATINGS: 106   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
This traditional beer style was originally brewed in countries bordering the Baltic Sea. Although derived from English porters, it was mostly influenced by Russian imperial stouts. Typically, the Baltic porters are brewed with lager yeasts and are smoother than the imperial stouts. Grand Baltic Porter is good for the soul & luxurious on a cold Baltic night. Skal!

blankboy (7833) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 24, 2009
My bottle [500ml] shared with HogTownHarry & garthicus -- c/o tupalev. Pours a dark, deep brown with an average size tan head. Mild aroma of lightly roasted malt, caramel, some alcohol and a hint of coffee. Flavour is different then expected but I like it: Roasty with slightly burnt caramel, light green hops, some dark fruit and some maple syrup. Medium to full bodied. Pretty good, perhaps not quite on style but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Spab (4124) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 5, 2010
500 ml bottle from Bishop’s Cellar. Pours a very dark brown with small but lasting tan head. Lightly roasted aroma with moderately sweet dark fruit and some cocoa. Taste is also lightly roasty with much stronger fruitiness (raisin, prunes), toffee, cocoa with a light hoppiness. Alcohol is fairly muted for 9%. Delicate carbonation. Quite nice.

Scubaguy (230) - Alberta, CANADA - APR 21, 2011
It pours a black color but it appears more brown when held up to the light. It has a 2 finger fluffy tan head. It has a decent amount of carbonation present and some small spots of lacing.

On the nose I am getting some roasted malt but mostly dominated by chocolate.

The flavor is somewhat similar to the aroma, I am picking up some roasted/burnt malt, but some dark fruit for sure in there, also I am picking up some real dark chocolate bitterness. This offering has some great elements but nothing bringing it all together.

It finishes with some real metallic notes and a sourness. There is some bitterness that shows up near the end but nothing to crazy. I have to say compared to other Porters I have had it falls short but still worth a try.

zeek (194) - British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 14, 2011
Pours a very dark brown, close to black. Quite smooth in the mouth, finishes clean.

rob6239 (677) - Ontario, CANADA - FEB 5, 2012
Pours a dark hue but very slight reddiness and slight brown head. Aroma is strong of molasses and caramel. Taste carries through with the same roastiness and very little bitterness. Very smooth.

PatIrish (184) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 26, 2012
Dark brown to black with head that wisps away very quickly. Aroma, black licorice, oak, vanilla. Palate is very sweet, molasses, toffee & coffee. Not quite what I expected, but enjoyed all the same.

Atheist_Peace (1042) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - MAR 9, 2013
500ml bottle. Dark brown/red pour with a fairly minimal toffee head that leaves a light ring of lace. The nose is remarkably light for the style. Some roasted character and the faintest hint of licorice, light dark fruit. Quite boozy on the palate with a hint of dark chocolate, some stewed fruit and some other dark flavour I can’t put my finger on.

BrewGoblin (632) - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, CANADA - JUL 5, 2014
I wanted to like this more than I did. Love me a Porter and when things get imperial I usually love them even more. Not bad in any way, just not as smooth tasting or judo-chop kick-ass as I would have thought. Reeks of molasses, leather and peat and darrrrrrkkkkkk chocolate and tart cherries. She tastes like a big old boozy and burnt dark fruitcake. The mouthfeel was a wee syrupy for me. I know big dogs like this should only be barked at in moderation but I can’t see having more than one every now and then as a wild treat.

Ferris (16692) - Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 20, 2015
Bottle - Vintage 2011 - Sweet dark chocolate, roast and some molasses. Deep dark brown with a nice light brown head. Cocoa and sweet caramel with a light bitter finish. Age has taken its toll, but still ok.

djd07 (15651) - Houston, Texas, USA - FEB 21, 2015
Bottle during the RBWG lobby share. Pours a clear amber with small white head. The aroma is molasses and brown sugar. Thin mouth with candy sugar and caramel, light booze, nice.