overall

RATINGS: 42   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47/5   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
It was upon my emergence from my craft that I realized I had traveled not to another place, but to another time. About me lumbered a number of stout men, burdened by heavy loads. Finding a sudden need to slake my thirst and steady my mind, I called out to one of these porters. He pointed to a tavern, inside of which I found this roasty, chocolaty, and supremely drinkable brew.

WheatKing (1338) - Phnom Penh, CAMBODIA - JUN 22, 2013
Pours dark brown, beige head. Nose is light roast and chocolate. Flavour is chocolate coffee a lot of ashiness but not too much. Loved the richness of the chocolate here; my kind of beer!

Beerenberger (1605) - Fischer, Texas, USA - JUN 14, 2013
Somewhat of a smoky nose combined with hints of roasted malt, and fruit. Pours an opaque brownish black with a robust, mostly lasting tan head and moderate lacing. The taste is dark roasted malts with hints of coffee. The middle and finish are grainy, while the aftertaste is bitter. Medium body with moderate carbonation. Overall, a nice bitter porter. I would have liked slightly more body, but this was still a very enjoyable porter.

ericdevin (988) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - JUN 14, 2013
Bottle from 16 Tons Taphouse. Surprised this wasn’t rated a bit higher, I really liked it and I’m not generally a fan of porters. Pours very dark, lots of tan head. Aroma is somewhat slight, my only complaint. A little bit of roasted malt, some chocolate, coffee and almonds as well. Body is thin but lively, toasty. This is an awesomely drinkable dark beer.

jercraigs (10556) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 5, 2013
2013-05-30. Black body, nice tan head. 3+ Dusty dry malt aroma, light roast. Flavour is similar. Dry dusty malt. Average bodied palate, modest carbonation. Decent but pretty average overall. Bottle at Mondial de la Biere 2013, Montreal

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Night will fall and drown the sun when a good man goes to war.
Friendship dies and true love lies.
Night will fall and the dark will rise when a good man goes to war.
Demons run but count the cost; the battle’s won but the child is lost.

Sammy (12347) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 3, 2013
Mondiale 2013. A very good porter. Black with almost no head, yet a lace trail. A tasty hoppy porter, with good drinkability. One of my favourites over this fest.

swoopjones (7020) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUN 2, 2013
bottle from Lets Pour. a solid porter. chocolate, roasted maltiness, touch of coffee. Medium bodied. Nothing complex or gimicky, just a solid well made porter

Lubiere (13954) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 31, 2013
UPDATED: JUN 1, 2013 A dark brown ale with a thin brown head. In aroma, dark roasted chocolate malt with roasted coffee, floral hops, nice. In mouth, a smooth black ipa with light coffee notes, nice. Bottle at Mondiale 2013, May 31 2013.

Theydon_Bois (19718) - Hazlemere, the lower Xhitlerns, Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - MAY 30, 2013
Tap at Gigantic, PDX, 22/05/13. Very dark mahogony brown with a thin beige head. Nose is roast malt, biscuit, dark toffee. Taste carries a good roast malt bite, molasses, a touch of chocolate. Medium bodied, fine carbonation, bitter roast in the finish. Solid enough porter.

AirForceHops (7318) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 17, 2013
Paid$ 6.03 for a 22 oz. bottle from Winooski Beverage Warehouse. Problem with this brew is I forgot about it in my cellar and stumbled on it tonight. So I have to rate this on what it could be instead of what I’m tasting. It’s not Gigantic’s fault I forgot this in my cellar. Flavor is milk chocolate, hints of coffee and the palate is creamy with a full body for the style. I drank about 19 oz. from this bottle so even after consuming this old, it still works. It must be a decent brew.

BeefPocoroba (49) - Oregon, USA - MAY 15, 2013
On tap at the Brewery. Solid beer and quite enjoyable. Can drink again and again, but lacking something to make it truly special.