overall
RATINGS: 10   MEAN: 3.31/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Robust dark ale with a smooth roasted flavor of espresso, chocolate and toasted caramel.

Most RecentTicked By

Bulk_Carrier (6065) - Vermont, USA - APR 21, 2017
Reviewed from notes. Growler share with somebody, sorry I forget who, but whoever you are, pm me and I’ll plug your name in here. This was poured into a mug. The appearance was a fairly dark brown close to black color with a steady finger’s worth of eggshell white foamy head that dissipated at a good pace. Lingering messy lace. The aroma had some roasty coffee bean up front, pretty bold and robust with some light milk chocolate maltiness wanting to balance. Light caramel. The flavor blends the roasty coffee bean to the chocolate maltiness. However, it ends up creating a fairly imbalanced aftertaste of the milk chocolate pummeling this part of the beer. What happened to the roast? Well, that blows monkey chunks. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a fair sessionability about it. Good carbonation and the ABV felt as appropriate as projected by the brewer. Overall, for the most part, it’s a pretty good porter even if the aftertaste wasn’t what I expected it to be. I’d still have again.

yobdoog (1888) - Kingston, New York, USA - MAY 25, 2009
Dark in color and right away noticeable light body. Aroma is light and roasty and taste is the same. Very light roast some coffee. Maybe I need the newer version if they amped up the recipe at all because what I had in the past was watery.

j12601 (12602) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - FEB 19, 2009
On tap at the otter. Pours a deep cola black with a thin mocha head. Aromas of smoky roasted malt and coffee. Flavor is more of the roast with a light malt sweetness. Thin to medium bodied, I’d like a little more viscosity here. Smooth bitter coffee finish. Going by the lack of ratings for the last two years, I’m curious if they’ve tweaked the recipe a bit in the last couple, because I found this to be rather good aside from the slightly watery body compared to some of the previous rates.

beastiefan2k (4007) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - DEC 24, 2006
Growler from the brewpub. Poured into pilsner glasses (it was an in-laws Chrsitmas party, I am lucky it wasn’t Dixie cups). This beer has a few things working for it. First its really beautiful, black as night body with a large dark tan head. Looks like a good Imp Stout. I’ll also skip ahead and say its had a good hefty body with a nice full slightly under-carbonated thick mouthfeel. My biggest problem is bean. Now I have said this before sometimes I get bean, dont know what that is but I get it here. Damn bean in the aroma and damn bean in the taste. But there are some nice redeming qualities. Roastiness and some choclate is present all around. A good chocolate milk aftertaste as well. All in all a good beer for the night but that damn bean.

pivo (2685) - GERMANY - MAR 17, 2005
I got a little buttered popcorn in the nose. Dark brown color and a low tan head. Toffee tastes with a hint of burbon. Berry-like middle followed by a dry coffee bitter. Quick profile and a thin body. I wasn’t impressed by this porter, and I’m usually very forgiving of porters as a style.

YogiBeera (2569) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 5, 2005
Dark brown colored, little creamy layer of an offwhite head. Clay and malt noste and also taste, band aid finish / long lasting and roasted.

mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JAN 27, 2005
Growler from a friend. Dark brown with a tan head. Coffee like aroma. Very roasty flavor. Malty and roasty. If you like coffee then you would like this beer. Enjoyable.

MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JAN 27, 2005
Growler from a friend. Dark brown, tan head. Roasty coffee-like aroma. Flavor is extremely roasty to the point of tasting like the dregs of a coffee pot. Not bad if you like coffee, but maybe a bit too much. Not sure if this is the same recipe as the two other raters had but...

spkldhenlvr24 (517) - Newburgh/Buffalo, New York, USA - AUG 17, 2004
I don’t think was a true porter. I think it might be caught between a dark brown and light porter. Good roasted aroma. Dark brown appearance with a small light tan head. Flavor wasn’t too overpowering. Maybe a little artifical? OK.

MartinT (9932) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 30, 2003
Heavy-handed oakiness under roast-branded fruitiness...Decipherable fieldberries floating around inseparable ash truffles...A bit more sweet malt could make this a plumper, healthier porter...