overall
Brewed by Takasago Shuzo Sake Co.
Style: Saké - Daiginjo
Asahikawa-shi, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan
Serve in Guinomi, Masu, Ochoko

RATINGS: 86   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   EST. CALORIES: 468   ABV: 15.6%
Rice: Yamada Nishiki
Nihonshu-do: +3
Seimaibuai: 50%
Notable Facts: Each year, after the temperature drops below 14 fahrenheit, they build an Ice Dome outside near the main kura building. It is basically an igloo inside of which the temperature stays about 28 F, with 90% humidity and no wind The low temperature means "nasty bacteria" cannot survive, and it allows them to make clean, pure, ultra-premium saké. Additionally, they separate the clear saké from the fermenting rice lees not by pressing, but rather by putting it into canvas bags and allowing the saké to drip out slowly overnight, with no pressure at all applied to the mash. The Cadillac of Daiginjo sake is Shizuku-style sake, the equivalent of wine made from free-run juice.

dchmela (3088) - Orlando, Florida, USA - AUG 19, 2011
Thanks to Mike for the bottle. Pours clear with just a hint of a yellow tinge. Fabulously clean aroma, rose petals, pear and cucumber all coming through. absolutely no harshness at all. Flavor continues with clean clear taste, almost like rose water with hints of rice and fruit. There is absolutely no hint of alcohol and the fruits are just hinted at. just an outstanding sake.

MadIndian (2743) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 8, 2011
Gift from Sj. Clear pour with yellow hue. Aromas of fruit and lemon. Taste of peaches maybe some pair, rice and bread. Hard for me to rate these sake’s.

Doodler (473) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 31, 2010
While i often enjoy a good sake with my wife, the is my first attempt at rating one, so why not start with the Cadillac of Sake? Pick up a small bottle for $35,(ouch) so for the price, like others, I probably won’t be developing a premium Sake habit any time soon. Goes well with some sashimi we picked up at Whole Foods, so will limit this to Sushi restaurants and food fare for pairing. Pours clearand clean, with a touch of yellow hues. Nice floral and rice aromas. Really opens up as it warms, with some apple and pear sweetness. Peppery finish that is dry and warming. The alcohol was warming but pretty subdued for me, which is unusual for most sakes i’ve had. Overall, this was very tasty and I was glad to try it. I can see why it is the top rated Sake on the site.

thedm (6320) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 22, 2009
This bottled sake from a bottle shop poured a very small sized head of frothy fine to medium sized clear colored bubbles that were quickly diminishing and left behind a transparent uncarbonated light yellow hued body. The mild aroma was sweet and polished rice. The mouth feel was weakly tingly at the start and strongly tingly at the finish with a biting vinous alcohol aftertaste. The strong flavor contained notes of sweet alcohol and polished rice. An OK brew just nothing special.

douglas88 (9795) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 14, 2009
Another awesome bottle thanks to Eric. Pours a clear watery mixture. The aroma is great; smooth pears and fruit, sweet fruitiness. The flavor is very smooth despite the abv; very clean and smooth flavors of light pear, other fruits, some sweeter aspects, very easygoing and yet very flavorful. Again, I’ll repeat my Sake disclaimer; I know next to nothing about these interesting crafts, but this was a nice drink.

theisti (4237) - Kansas, USA - JUL 20, 2009
300 ml bottle from beastiefan2k. 02,08 stamped on bottle. Pour is perfectly clear pale yellow gold. Shines like jewelry. Decent legs form on the glass during the swirl. Aroma of floral soft rice, with a faint pineapple citrus. Some apple, some pear - very soft and delicate. Taste is initially soft rice fruitiness, followed quickly by a bit of an edgy alcohol heat, followed again by the floral sweetness of the nose. The flavors transitioned really smoothly from one to the next. Palate is soft and clean, syrupy - coats the mouth beautifully, yet almost feels like its gliding down your throat. Really no residual alcohol heat. I have laughably limited knowledge of Sake, but quite liked this one. Not sure I will rush out to explore more, but will happily keep an eye open. As I had more of this, I just kept liking it more. Thanks for giving me a chance to try this one, Eugene.

tjthresh (1872) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - JUL 19, 2009
Pours clear with a light yellow tint. Quite fruity nose with a bit of banana. He flavor is interesting and its really hot. I don’t know what else to say about it.

redlight (2325) - Orlando, Florida, USA - JUN 20, 2009
Melon and pear on the nose with hints of anise. Pours clear. Spicy anise, grains of paradise with a light fruity finish. Pretty good sake!

thebaldwizard (1365) - Ohio, USA - JUN 1, 2009
I’m happy to get around to rating this sake, as it was my first really premium sake--and provided a lasting memory for me...

I had a a 750 ml bottle of this big dog and passed it around during a hotel tasting. Most people there didn’t enjoy it, or had already had too much to drink, so it came back to me around 2/3 full I would say. Now this is an expensive bottle, somewhere around $100--so I felt like it must be finished. So I sat there at around midnight or so, on a day in which the drinking had started at approximately 8am--and didn’t stop for more than an hour during dinner--and began to drink the rest of Divine Droplets straight from the bottle.

A beautiful clear body. The flavor was a very light mix of almond extract, honeysuckle and anise. Really clean taste with a nice body. It’s difficult to describe just how light this is, while at the same time having a heavy dose of flavor.

In the end this Daiginjo had its way with me and caused me to pass out sitting up in the bed in a room full of obnoxious drunks. I’m proud to have finished the bottle after such an amazing amount of consumption, and lived to have told the tale.

daknole (11048) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - FEB 25, 2009
Well I must admit that I am not a big sake drinker. I don’t even know where I got the bottle and I didnt finish it. Very, very light yellow pour. In the nose I detected pear and apples. Flavor has some honeydew notes along with some apple...not bad...but what the hell do I know about sake? Not much.