overall
Brewed by Takasago Shuzo Sake Co.
Style: Saké - Daiginjo
Asahikawa-shi, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan
Serve in Guinomi, Masu, Ochoko

RATINGS: 86   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   EST. CALORIES: 468   ABV: 15.6%
Rice: Yamada Nishiki
Nihonshu-do: +3
Seimaibuai: 50%
Notable Facts: Each year, after the temperature drops below 14 fahrenheit, they build an Ice Dome outside near the main kura building. It is basically an igloo inside of which the temperature stays about 28 F, with 90% humidity and no wind The low temperature means "nasty bacteria" cannot survive, and it allows them to make clean, pure, ultra-premium saké. Additionally, they separate the clear saké from the fermenting rice lees not by pressing, but rather by putting it into canvas bags and allowing the saké to drip out slowly overnight, with no pressure at all applied to the mash. The Cadillac of Daiginjo sake is Shizuku-style sake, the equivalent of wine made from free-run juice.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - OCT 1, 2007
This sake pours w/ a faint tint of greenish yellow. The bouquet is very elegant and refined w/ well integrated aromas of fresh candy fruit, lively perfume, and red licorice. Medium nectar weight and dry w/ a brisk, mildly fruity charcter. Flavors consist of crisp candy fruit, creamy vanilla, buttery kettle korn, and a sort of floral arraingment. Theres a defined alcohol componenet that takes charged in a subtle way and seemingly directs the show gently guiding the ensamble to orchestral proportions. The finish is delightfuly clean w/ a lingering floral fruitiness despite the alcohol present. Overall: this pecimen does not go earthy in any way, shape, or form. It stays fruity and tamed by the director in a beautiful expression of perfection. I have to say that although I do appreciate the process of making this brew I think it is over priced for how it drinks @ $35 per 300ml.

RCL (2032) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 20, 2007
Pretty light straw colored pour. Nose is rather closed, just a few hints of rice and a haunting almost minty-melon aroma. Flavor has a nice hint of acidity and it has a super-smooth palate that almost totally conceals the alcohol except for a tingling at the sides of the tongue and a warming as it goes down the esophagus. Very light yet profound taste. Almost more of a sensation than a flavor.

nick76 (4403) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUN 8, 2007
The aroma is basically just rice and alcohol. The appearance is clear yellow. The flavor is like the aroma and on the dry side. The palate is thin and not too oily. I guess you could say this is pure sake.

Palidor19 (3194) - Brandon, Florida, USA - JUN 8, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2007 my first dai-ginjo. the aroma is very mild with flavor floral and slight grass. palate is very soft, not oily with flavors of vanilla and peppery overtones. alcohol is hidden very well. A real treat to have

arjoseph (642) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 28, 2007
Less information or experience means more subjective rating. By way of disclaimer, I mean to say that I have no idea how to rate sake. The impressions below are purely my subjective impressions. My overall subjective impression is that I haven’t acquired this taste yet (i.e., I didn’t enjoy it all that much). Smelled like a sharp pinot grigio, with alcohol aparent through the fresh acidity. Looked clear as water with no carbonation. Smooth, thick and warming in the mouth, without any alcohol bite (amazing for this strength of beverage). The finish was dry and herbal, and probably my favortie part of the experience. The bulk of the flavor was just kind of...bleh. I don’t know if it was soy, but I didn’t like it. I wrote down that it was "salty" with "low lactic sweetness," but those were accents to the general "sake" flavor. Sampled at a gathering of TN Ratebeerians a couple months ago; thanks to Springslicker for bringing it.

IMtheOptimator (1170) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - APR 2, 2007
300 ml bottle. I want to thank austinpowers for giving me some pointers about this sake and allowing me to taste this without being completely uninformed. Poured mostly clear but with the subtlest yellow tinge. Very subtle but complex aroma of butterscotch, light fruits, a bit of alcohol. Flavor is very subtle, but upon intense reflection contains notes of vanilla, strawberries, perhaps a bit of apple. This is some alcohol warmth to the swallow, but almost no burn in the flavor. The finish starts out with a bit of a salty dryness but warms up to a rather sweet mustiness. Very easy to drink. This is definitely a drink that opens up more to you the more you reflect upon it. This was a true test of my tasting abilities. If the goal here was subtle complexity wtih little alcohol presence, then I’d say the goal has been achieved. I’m not sure yet if I’m completely sold on sake, but I’m happy to have been able to see what the best has to offer.

ABUSEDGOAT (2900) - California, USA - MAR 22, 2007
I know nohting of Sake, I’ve had it 3 times and it was bad each time. My stepfather randomly brings home a bottle of Sake. I look it up, it’s this one! Haha! Not really sure how one is rated but here goes. Pours just like spring water into the glass, there are some legs on the side like wine. Aroma is rice, lighter fruits, alcohol. I wasn’t digging the aroma. The flavor brings these notes together really well, a faint fruity flavor (that I can’t really describe) really shines here with a light body, almost velvety mouthfeel. Surprisingly pleasant, not harsh at all. Alcohol detectable but hard to guess 15%. What a great surprise!

BeerHawk (1811) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - JAN 28, 2007
Thanks to SpringsLicker for sharing this bottle with us at the Nashville Tasting! My first time with sake and I did not know what to expect. Poured clear as city water (some hints of yellow in it). The aroma was sweet of fruits and floral. The flavor followed the same but with apples in particular standing out in the fruits. Warming throughout but not with a strong alcohol aroma or flavor when cold. As it warmed the alcohol aroma and flavor was more present. Also as it warmed, more and more rice aroma came out. Light body and very dry. Different but I enjoyed it and will try more sake in the future. Thanks Jay!

Suttree (6537) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 20, 2007
Big thanks to Springslicker for saving a taste of this for me. Pours clear with a tint of gold. Smells like grain, with some delicate fruity and floral notes. Velvety smooth palate. Sweet at first, with a hint of, what, honey? vanilla? sunflower? Maybe some anise, too. A whole bunch of intriguing flavors here. Nice stuff.

SpringsLicker (3685) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 16, 2007
I found this in Knoxville out at Turkey Creek and took advantage of a 15% off sale that got this down to $67 for a 720ml bottle. Quite worth it for the experience, but at that price, I feel assured that I won’t be developing a Premium Sake habit any time soon. I must admit that I have no guidelines by which to assess this. This pours still, crystal clear with a blush of gold. The aroma and flavor are all about the subtleties here. Faint aroma that teases you into guessing what’s there. For me it was light sugary licorice notes. The alcohol warming comes immediately after the swallow and was only hinted at on the tongue at the very back, just before it went down the throat. The alcohol was unusually pleasant, not burning or uneasy to swallow in any way. But overall, this was very tasty and I was glad to try it. I might pick up a 300 ml bottle once in a great while even though I’m sure the larger bottle was more economical.