overall
RATINGS: 961   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.23/5   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 402   ABV: 13.4%
Everyday Goose Island smells the wonderful coffee roasting next to our brewery at Chicago’s Intelligentsia Coffee and Tea. This world class roaster puts the same passion and skill into their coffee as Goose Island does with its beer. This excellent stout is made with a different coffee from our friends next door each year. With the change in coffee comes a change in the flavor profile, making each release truly unique from the previous years.

- First bottle release seen in Spring 2010 as "Bourbon County Coffee Stout".
- Also available previous years at the brewpub as "Black Cat Bourbon County Stout"

2010 Bottling: Intelligentsia Black Cat
2014 Release - Intelligentsia Zirikana from Rwanda
2015 Release - Intelligentsia Los Delirios from Nicaragua
2017 Release - Intelligentsia Black Cat

Zeswaft (1785) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 30, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2007 Yowsa! My friends and I snagged up the last 6 or so servings of this in wrigleyville. $10 a piece...we did not see that coming. Anyways, this has an over the top chocolate aroma that you can sense a foot away. The flavor is rich coffee, almost expresso like, and thick and rich chocolate. The sweetest most intense beer, let alone Imp stout, i’ve probably ever had. Unfortunately, I could hardly detect any bourbon barrel, but I don’t think I’ve ever been able to notice it on any imperial stout. I can’t wait to have the regular bourbon county when i get home.

nwiseman (204) - Norwich, Connecticut, USA - APR 23, 2010
Bomber from vbs purchased by awiseman and shared with brother Eric. Nose is straight up like a cup of coffee, with some sweetness. Pours sinfully dark with a deep tan head (just the way I like ’em). I get lots of the sweetness of the original bourbon county, but as it starts to go down, I notice the coffee flavor with a combination of bitterness and sweetness. As always, smooth as silk as it rolls across the tongue. This beer is the holy trifecta of coffee, bourbon, and beer. Can’t wait to see what a year can do for it..

brewblackhole (1587) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 10, 2010
Fluctuating aroma of fresh ground coffee ,chocolate malt and alcohol more grain whiskey then bourbon,soon that bourbon becomes the major player and your pretty sure your dealing with bourbon county. First mouthful,you notice the velvety creamy texture,flavor is bourbonmalt dominated, with all kinds of roasted malt and flashes of that ground coffee. Roasted malt and bakers chocolate make their way to the front,with bourbon still a major player,and the coffeetrying hard to stay noticed. Has a little more complexity and diversity then the straight BC,,full bodied ,but not thick ,like Dark Lord. Burps are pretty slid bourbon with a little coffee aftertaste. Being Bourbon County ,it is one of the best malty beers in existence. Would have liked to have had just a smidget more coffee influence,,but still its a real piece of art

mar (5456) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAY 17, 2010
big thanks to thirdeye11 for this one. poured pitch black with no head. vanilla, coffee, chocolate, bourbon, roasted malts, more coffee. palate is creamy, awesome.

mattyb83 (737) - Minnesota, USA - MAY 19, 2010
From a bomber. Pours a thick black with a nice dark tan head. Has an amazing aroma filled with espresso and some anise and vanilla, too. The flavor is just as phenomenal. Dark fruit, vanilla, and espresso along with some dark chocolate which gives a nice bitterness. It just coats your tongue and leaves a long after vanilla and chocolate aftertaste. As the beer warms it become more bourbon like and has a nice alcohol warmth. Just a great beer. If i could i would choose this beer over dessert and after meal coffee every time.

pete4999 (1445) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAY 21, 2010
Bottle. Just absurdly good. Pours a pitch black with brown/tan head. Smell is hardcore vanilla and "bourbon aging" notes. Some coffee in the smell, not as much as I was expecting. Gets much better as it warms. Very creamy and extremely flavorful. Lots of chocolate coffee along with the traditional flavor in the taste.

dosbeerigos (24) - Florida, USA - JUN 5, 2010
Beer Hype!? Not Here! I received this beer from a trade, and didn’t know much about it. I watched it climb on the top 100 for about 3-4 weeks before I even realized I had it sitting in my cellar. Needless to say I was excited to try it. I love the regular Bourbon County so this has to be better right?! Yep, it sure was. This was a true pleasure to drink. The mouth feel was on point, the taste were all distinct in their own. Strong Chocolate, Espresso, Bourbon, and hints of Vanilla. I would drink this beer again and buy this beer again. While I am not sure it is worthy of #3 in the world or higher. It’s Pretty Damn Good!

petematte46 (330) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 6, 2010
Well, what can I say about this one. Like Bourbon County wasn’t already enough, lets add coffee!!!!!!!&#

Maltajo (330) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUN 17, 2010
650ml Bottle. A very nice dark thick pour with a thin head. Bold deep dark flavors complex delightfull. Enjoy

kbutler1 (1382) - Minnesota, USA - JUN 23, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 1, 2013 Bottle. 2010 Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout bottled on 3/26/10. Poured into my Cigar City snifter a deep black with a 1 finger head of dark tan, tiny bubbles. Aroma is notes of sweet dark chocolate, cocoa, and bourbon. The first sip is a plethora of flavors; chocolate sweetness up front followed by a strong coffee flavor, a nip of bitterness, and ending with a long drawn out bourbon taste. The alcohol is pretty apparent in the end. Letting this one warm up a bit as it was in the fridge brings out even more flavors. Slight vanilla notes. For being so "young" I will be interested to see what these do with some age on them. Very full bodied mouthfeel. An excellent example of an American Double/Imperial Stout. **latest version sampled on 11/29. LOTS of coffee notes. Very good. Probably my favorite variant they do.