Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - Rare 2010

overall

RATINGS: 419   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.41/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
From Greg Hall:
"BCS rare, I’m excited. Brewed in 2008, aged for 24 months in 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle Barrels. These are the very best smelling barrels I’ve come across in 18 years of barrel aging beer. Barrels were originally filled with spirit in 1985. We have 50 bourbon barrels aging, it will be a one time bottling, it will not be repeated."

Daniel719 (144) - Safety Harbor, Florida, USA - APR 26, 2014
Bottle share. Smells like pappy. Some chocolate. Taste is smooth and dry. Pretty awesome. Smooth for a 13 and how old it is. Glad I got to try it after so long.

-- rated with beerbasher/winphone

Veldrid (120) - Canton, Ohio, USA - AUG 4, 2011
Had this after a line up of BCS 09, BCVS, and BCCS. Damn what a beer. I didn’t think this beer could live up to the hype or he price tag... I was wrong... dead wrong. This beer is the pinnacle of the BCS line. The perfect meld of chocolate, vanilla, molasses and bourbon. I can’t say enough great things about this beer and I must get another bottle.

aasher (113) - Fishers, Indiana, USA - SEP 12, 2011
Bottle #1287, shared with zep9865 to celebrate my recent engagement. I’ve had this before but this is the proper time to sit down to review and reflect upon this masterpiece.

It pours a lifeless midnight black in color with no head or carbonation. It looks like an ’08 Bourbon County, perfectly oily and overly viscous. The aromas consist of sweet bourbon, vanilla, molasses, oak, chocolates, and syrupy goodness. You can tell it’s had plenty of time to age and let it’s intricate qualities intermingle. I would like a little more PVW but it’s fine. The beer is already over two and a half years old at this point. The flavors are just wow. You get the silkiest, smoothest chocolates, bourbon, oak, vanilla, toffee, caramel, and earthiness that a beer drinker could ask for. It is so soft and perfect for your palate. It just fits. I don’t think I’ve ever had a beer with a body so perfect. This beer is a masterpiece, a real spectacle to be hold. Well done Goose, well done.

birderbeerer (112) - Virginia, USA - APR 13, 2011
Pours black, almost more like a super-rich brown with a small but stubborn head.

Strong bourbon scent but within it are deep, rich malt scents. Dark chocolate, dark fruits, and black licorice.

Taste is so smooth! Immensely rich taste but allowing for big sips too. Mellow caramel with raisins, figs, and dark chocolate, all imbued with bourbon. And the bourbon is smooth too. No bitter, no smacking, only ever so slightly boozy.

Rich, mellow, smooth, and huge. What a unique and special treat to enjoy this beer.

phillybeer7779 (101) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 12, 2011
This one absolutely lives up to the hype! Amazingly smooth and refined aroma and flavor. High price point makes it impossible to drink on a daily basis, but wish I could. One of the best beers I ever had in my life.

PaulUnwin (92) - Pinellas Park, Florida, USA - OCT 30, 2011
Waited too long to try the rare, thanks Matt for this one opened at a tasting yesterday. Poured a dark colour, not too much of a head, the aroma was of roasted coffee and chocolate, as was the taste, not sure when I’ll get another taste!

StoutFest (77) - Stoutville, Illinois, USA - NOV 27, 2010
Better out the bottle than on tap. Richer and thicker out the bottle. Thinner on tap. Pours pitch black with a medium tan head. Full bodied with better carbonation than expected. Intensified flavors and aroma of regular BCS plus more but smoother. Aroma of caramel, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, oak, and coconut with a hint of smoke. Tastes how it smells but better. A great, rich, and sticky mouthfeel. Caramel toffee like woody flavors that linger long after the last sip that only PVW barrels can give of. So smooth, so rich, ABV very well hidden. Great balance and complexity. The nose, the body, the taste, and after taste are all there. Best barrel aged stout I’ve ever had. I was in search of the next beer that was going to blow me away and I have found it!