Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - Rare 2010

overall

RATINGS: 418   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.41/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
From Greg Hall:
"BCS rare, I’m excited. Brewed in 2008, aged for 24 months in 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle Barrels. These are the very best smelling barrels I’ve come across in 18 years of barrel aging beer. Barrels were originally filled with spirit in 1985. We have 50 bourbon barrels aging, it will be a one time bottling, it will not be repeated."

Titusd84 (6) - Woodridge, Illinois, USA - MAR 16, 2012 does not count
Hands down the best beer I have ever had. Period end of review. Oh well just for fun, the aroma is incredible two years of sitting in a bourbon barrel will do that. The appearence is pitch black darkness. The taste is money huge bourbon lots of sweetness. For how boozy it smells it is incredibly smooth. Overall as I said the best beer I have ever had.

RedWingsRool (4) - USA - JAN 3, 2011 does not count
Good, i didn’t expect such a bourbon kick but I guess the label says it all. Very good if you like a super strong, almost hard liquor style beer. It was too much for me although I did appreciate the quality and flavor. It was very black and oily with a strong caramel taste that is followed by the bourbon kick.

TooManyBeers (2) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUL 15, 2013 does not count
Aroma of vanilla, bourbon (a tad boozy), roasted malt, very dark chocolate. Pours an ink jet black like used motor oil with a small dissipating dark mocha head. Taste is the base BCBS but much more rounded with a wonderful bourbon flavor and hardly any booze. Got some liquorice on the finish and it was a little warming as it went down. Overall a great beer (no surprise) but I was hoping for a little more barrel characteristics. Anyhow I waited a long time before rating my first beer so it doesn’t count for shit. "it will be my one and only rating, it will not be repeated." LOL

Mthhurley (2) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - DEC 11, 2011 does not count
I have no encountered a imperial stout yet that stacks up to this. After doing a huge vertical tasting of multiple years of DL, KBS, CBS and many others, this was the hands down winner. The complexity in this beer is unmatched.

anataxi (1) - Massachusetts, USA - APR 27, 2011 does not count
A true rarity The bourbon smell and taste is strong but strangely dose not over power the other things going on in this beer vanilla, oak, molasses, chocolate and dark berry unreal!