Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - Rare 2010

overall

RATINGS: 421   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.41/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
From Greg Hall:
"BCS rare, I’m excited. Brewed in 2008, aged for 24 months in 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle Barrels. These are the very best smelling barrels I’ve come across in 18 years of barrel aging beer. Barrels were originally filled with spirit in 1985. We have 50 bourbon barrels aging, it will be a one time bottling, it will not be repeated."

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

CanIHave4Beers (4291) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - AUG 24, 2011
Big ups to Goose Island for actually selling this business in Iowa, big ups to my homies Sam, Jeff, & Eric for coming over finally allowing me to share this, big ups to my Wife for allowing me to buy nay 1 but 2 bottles of this beautiful stuff. Cheers All! The beer pours black with a small head that goes away quickly, The aroma is particularly pungent with some spice cake, loads of bourbon, vanilla and cherry. There is a nice dark dried fruit character to the aroma that I don’t really get as strongly in the original version of this beer particularly raisin. The aroma really has a very limited alcohol character and is particularly appetizing. The flavor is nicely sweet with loads of bourbon. I wrote "refined bourbon" in my lil’ notebook... I guess by that I mean that the bourbon character is well rounded and the beer honestly tastes like it was aged with a higher grade of bourbon than we usually get in bourbon barrel aged beers. There is not a ton of harsh alcohol or woodiness but instead the vanilla and mild spiciness are much more prevalent in this one. Flavors of cherry and maple syrup provide a nice compliment to the vanilla and sweetness of the beer while a subdued but ever-present roastiness brings some coffee like flavors to the table. This just has an enormous depth of flavor, it took all of us forever to finish our glass (in a good way). The palate is that thick mouth coating sensation that anyone who has had any of the Bourbon County lineup of beers knows so well. Maybe if I’m lucky I’ll get to try this again some day.

boFNjackson (4202) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 21, 2011
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2012 Bottle #1650 brought from New York by my bride’s father to Portland to celebrate our wedding... Poured pitch black with a tan head. As soon as the cap was popped got a breeze of bourbon. Sniffing my snifter I got a lot more dark fruits, roasted grains, and dense espresso coffee. Slightly fizzy palate, heading on the dryer side towards the finish. Extremely hot, strong whiskey tones, vanilla, sweet cream, roast, fortified fruits, oak, dark chocolates, and very sweet. Caramel, toffee, toasted sweetness like crem-brulee on alcohol steroids.

Hair6a11 (1481) - Illinois, USA - AUG 21, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2011 Bottle; pour is murky dark brown with amber highlights; modest beige head in this glass. Syrupy pour ; the nose is booze, chocolates, dark fruits, and caramel. The flavor profile is bitter out of the gate, sweet and syrupy, bourbon, chocolate, caramel - with some vanilla present. Is this a better beer than dark lord de muerte? Not quite. Having them side by side. But an excellent brew from goose island, obviously. I enjoyed it immensely, but I think some age would be beneficial

djd07 (16675) - Houston, Texas, USA - AUG 19, 2011
Bottle shared by maltomeal at the Houston 2011 tasting, Pours a very dark brown almost black with a small tan head leaving spotty lacing. The aroma is oak whiskey and dark chocolate. Thich mouthfeel with a vanilla oak and chocolate flavor. Hides the alcohol extremely well making it very easy to drink. Really enjoyed this one, a very impressive Imperial stout from Goose Island.

Brigadier (3830) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - AUG 18, 2011
On tap at GTMW (2011)

Despite the higher score I think this was a draw with the Neapolitan version. What sets it apart with a slightly higher score is its focus. This is pure coffee and bourbon in a way that I’ve never experienced since vanilla bean Dark Lord. Oozing around the glass like used motor oil this beer is thick, heavy, and just as chewy as it looks. I doubt I would pay $50.00 for a bottle but as a unique experience I am glad I got some (without waiting in line to boot).

orangesol (986) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 17, 2011
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2011 Big thanks to Ben aka Hojaminbag for busting this one out at 3:30am the other night to compare to the ’07 DL. Bottle poured into a taster glass. A - Pours opaque black with a nice half finger tall deep tan head leaving light wisps of lacing down the glass. The pour was just ok. S - Smells of rich bourbon heat, sweet chocolate, vanilla, espresso, and wood offer some contrast to all the dark roast hidden within this beers core. The bourbon heat was a little overpowering toward the end. Based on the smell this one could use a bit more time to mellow out. It actually kinda smells like the DL at this point. T - This one tastes just like you think it would. Tons of dark roast blends in well with the chocolate sweetness, vanilla, wood, and warming bourbon heat. This one is a bit more earthy than the DL. The finish is mostly roasted heat lingering for some time. I like how this one isn’t overly sweet like the DL is, more of a well rounded barrel aged stout. The pappy barrels really did their magic on this one. Glad I finally go to try this one. M - Very heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. This is one heavy beer on the pallet with a mix of deep roast and bourbon heat in the finish. O - I thought this one was pretty good. I think it is still kinda rough around the edges but it should mature beautifully over the next few years. I look forward to having it again in the future.

jckp64 (356) - St Louis, Missouri, USA - AUG 14, 2011
On draft at the GTMW. Pours Black with a tan head. Aroma is chocolate, vanilla, bourbon and molasses. Flavor is a perfect balance of the above. I’ve waited for awhile to try this one and I was not disappointed. One of the smoothest Imperial stouts I’ve ever had.

beerchugger (717) - North Canton, Ohio, USA - AUG 6, 2011
Thanks Paul! This one pours black with little to no head formation. Lovely aroma on the nose with vanilla, coffee, caramel, toffee, cinnamon, chocolate, bourbon, oak, earth, a bit of booze as well. Extremely complex aroma that is typical of well done bourbon beers but with a bit more of an earthy edge to it than what’s usual. On the palate, the beer is immediately sweet and rich with flavors of copious amounts of vanilla, chocolate, coffee, anise, bourbon, and oak. Dark fruits of raisins and dates on the tongue give this a rich decadent quality but this quickly disappears as there is an interesting raw edge in the finish. Not quite as smooth as what’s usual in these types of beers but adds a nice quality to this and reinforces that this is indeed a beer. Very nice beer.

JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - AUG 6, 2011
Very big thanks to Ethan for sharing this BIG beer. Terrific looking pour, heavy, oily, but not merely muddy - instead, a rich deep brown with a real depth of color in a dark field. Mild milk choc colored head that dissipates pretty quickly. The nose was not what I expected, with a lot of sweet vanilla and amaretto along with the lovely Pappy and deep character of the base beer. Once you get into the flavors, after luxuriating with the silky body for a while, there are also some raisins and port qualities in there, all gathered together in Pappy’s tender embrace. Outstanding.

Veldrid (120) - Canton, Ohio, USA - AUG 4, 2011
Had this after a line up of BCS 09, BCVS, and BCCS. Damn what a beer. I didn’t think this beer could live up to the hype or he price tag... I was wrong... dead wrong. This beer is the pinnacle of the BCS line. The perfect meld of chocolate, vanilla, molasses and bourbon. I can’t say enough great things about this beer and I must get another bottle.