overall
RATINGS: 2858   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.26/5   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 426   ABV: 14.2%
"I really wanted to do something special for our 1000th batch at the original brewpub. Goose Island could have thrown a party. But we did something better. We brewed a beer. A really big batch of stout-so big the malt was coming out of the top of the mash tun. After fermentation we brought in some bourbon barrels to age the stout. One hundred and fifty days later, Bourbon County Stout was born-A liquid as dark and dense as a black hole with a thick foam the color of bourbon barrels. The nose is a mix of charred oak, vanilla,carmel and smoke. One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer. It overpowers anything in the room. People have even said that its a great cigar beer, but I havent yet tried a cigar that would stand up to it." Brewmaster Greg Hall;
IBUs 60-High Color - Midnight
Was 11% abv,
2007 and 2008 - 13% abv
2011 - 14.5% abv
2012 - 15% abv
2013 - 14.9% abv
2014 - 14.4% abv
2015 - 14.2% abv

Editors Note: Baudoinia Fulton & Wood Series offering (And the Low Storage entry from FoBAB 2012) is simply Bourbon County Stout aged in the same barrels. It has been alted as it offers no different recipe or barrel type simply the presence of a distillers fungus on the barrels that adds no distinct characteristic to the beer from the fungus itself except for possible oxygen exposure changes. While Brewers Intent indicates that they consider it a new beer, no true distinction aside from this oxidation amount and possible aging time differences separates the beers. Its essentially a single barrel Bourbon County version something we have always treated as regular Bourbon County Stout in the past.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
gsteph (324) - knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 12, 2009
UPDATED: APR 18, 2009 Two week wait while in transit from South Bay in San Diego. Well worth it. Pours black as night...like it was squeezed from a coal nugget. No head initially. I watched as a thin, shallow, mocha colored head rose from the depths of this dense elixir. Nose is enticing....heavy on the bourbon, I could smell from a foot away as I let it breath. Very sweet, roasted malt, semi-sweet morsels, vanilla, burnt espresso roast and fleeting moments of alcohol. Flavor is syrupy sweet, damn near cloying, but Ill overlook it. Strong, sweet bourbon mash flavor is heavy on the frontal assault, followed by brownie mix swirled with Hersheys syrup, roasted dark malts, vanilla and burnt wood. I would like to see more IBUs. There is some hop astringency on the finish but I would like to see it a little bit higher to combat the sweetness and/ or lower the malt content. Body is thick and enveloping. The brewers description is pretty much dead on. This is a serious mix of bourbon and Devils Food cake. There is no doubt this a damn fine brew. At this point though the sweetness has me a little concerned. I have one bottle left with a date of 10/16/08. I will continue to age this one to check its progression later. Re-rate in October.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dirt55 (198) - Washington, USA - APR 10, 2009
bottled, pours thick syrupy black with complete absence of any head, amazing dark fruit aroma with chocolate and sweet alcohol notes, EXTREMELY thick mouth feel, with roasted body and lingering sweetness (burnt/caramel like), wow.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beernbourbon (1587) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - APR 10, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2009 2007 version. I had to back up off of it and set my cup down. This is huge. This beer is great. I have had it many times but this is my first rating of it. Pours black with thin brown head. Can smell it across the room: sweet malt, bourbon, vanilla, earth, alcohol and wood. The flavor is wonderful. Lots of bourbon up front with the malt, but the bourbon melds into a wonderful sweet vanilla flavor that lingers. Finish is sweet with notes of wood, vanilla, and cigar smoke. Mild alcohol flavor too. Awesome.

slitcher (267) - Freeport, Illinois, USA - APR 10, 2009
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2009 Pours like dark fudge with a thin brown head. Bourbon, coffee, and vanilla on the nose. The taste is bourbon, coffee, chocolate, and smoke. Lingering alcohol finish. An absolutely outstanding beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
IauditUUhateme (22) - Coram, New York, USA - APR 10, 2009
Unbelievable beer! Thin, dense brown head that lingers. Very well balanced for anything that says Bourbon on it. Well blended flavors. Nothing overpowers anything else. Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, coffee, woody & malty. Delicious! Ages well, was gifted a 2006 bottle from Bellport at Christmas time, and it was even better than my rating here. they also convinced me to try it with chocolate truffles. Also outstanding! Obviously, this is one of my favorites.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HighWine (959) - Whalezbro, Illinois, USA - APR 10, 2009
Such a great beer. I opened my first bottle on Thanksgiving 2008 but didnt rate it. At the time I thought this was a great beer and could definitely get more interesting with age. Opened my second bottle tonight. Gorgeous black color that looks like dark molases in the glass with a head that looks like a chocolate milkshake. Nose is a delicious bourbon aroma with coffee and semisweet chocolate. Taste is powerful...alcohol, coffee, bourbon, and charred oak. One of the most viscous feels youll get on the palate (other than Sam Adams Triple Bock or something like that). I cant wait to try more of this over the next five years because I think the flavors will realy develop.

robforbes (2228) - Bremerton, Washington, USA - APR 8, 2009
pours a jet black with a thin brown head, and some lacing. smell of alcohol, dark chocolate, a hint of vanilla, woody, and a touch of smoke. taste is smooth and strong, dark chocolate, slight alcohol comes through, lots of sour malt, some nuts, and wood, end is slightly dry. taste is more pronounced as it warms.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
AndyReynolds (1085) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 7, 2009
UPDATED: APR 28, 2014 Bottle. Poured a very dark brown with a thin tan head. The aroma was strong with bourbon, malts, vanilla, and chocolate with notes of coffee and oak. The flavor was really strong. The bourbon really jumps out in the initial taste, but the finish is sweet and smooth. I couldnt drink it all night, but one is great. Re-rate: 2009 bomber. Very similar to the 2008, a little less bourbon character, but my palate may be a bit more refined. The biggest difference I pick up on though is that is is sweetier. It is also a bit more chewy as well. I think it is better so, I am changing my rating from a 4.1 to a 4.3. Just going on some sort of record to state that I will not be drinking this or any Goose Island beer anymore due to the InBev buyout

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
yespr (43286) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - APR 7, 2009
35.5 cL bottle, says bourbon county brand stout 2008. Pours thick and oily, deep dark brown to pitch black with a small and yet dense and deep chocolate brown head. Solid roasted malt, mild smoked, dense dark chocolate and solid bourbon dense aroma. Thick oily and creamy mouthfeel. Flavour is sweet, heavy bitterness showing through and mixing nicely with the solid acidic and hard roasted malt flavours yet also with a smooth vanilla/oak note to briefly attempt a counter balance. Distinct alcohol/bourbon presence going into a distinct alcohol burn in the finish. Sweet, bitter and lasting roasted/chocolate and bourbon finish. Nice yet also overempowering: beer soaked in too much bourbon.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tekhna (118) - California, USA - APR 6, 2009
2007 Bottle Aroma- Bourbon and vanilla. What more is there to say on that. Actually a much better flavor than scent. Apperance- As per my housemate: "It looks like gravy!" Flavor- Sweet vanilla bourbon fading into a coffee chocolate melange. Delicious. Overwhelming. I cant imagine a fresh bottle. Palate- Thick, rich. Overall impression- Its hard to argue with this beer. Its also hard to finish one. An amazing creation, but in extreme moderation. .