overall
RATINGS: 2019   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 129   ABV: 4.3%
Inspired by visits to English country pubs, Honker’s Ale combines a fruity hop aroma with a rich malt middle to create a perfectly balanced beer. Immensely drinkable, Honker’s Ale is not only the beer you can trust but one you’ll look forward to time and again.

OD40oz (774) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - AUG 28, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 14, 2003 I thought this was a good all around ale. First time I drank this i was at work. Smooth with a good taste. Would rather have a PBR.

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 22, 2002
Re-Rate 08/22/02: Clear copper in color, the head and lace are adequate. Nose is malt sweet, as is the front, top is light, the finish has a mild hop presence, the carbonation is light to moderate, somewhat dry, and a decent 'Session Beer'. Ranks #766 on my current 1000 beer master list.

popilius (61) - Chicagoland, Illinois, USA - AUG 20, 2002
A somewhat hearty Midwestern ale. It's honey-colored with a fine sweet finish. Good with Chicago pizza and hot dogs. High on carbonation, though.

dins (266) - Texas, USA - AUG 14, 2002
Nice hoppy light ale. Dry finish...........................................

Andrew196 (1945) - Katy, Texas, USA - AUG 12, 2002
I liked this stuff a lot actually. I had it on tap. Very pretty looking brew. It had a pleasantly sweet/fruity malt nose. Tastey, slightly bitter hops rounded this beer out well. Rerate: one of my favorite college hangouts just put this on tap and I am pumped! Great pitcher beer!

Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUL 30, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2008 My old rating was 3.0, but I’ve been drinking this a lot on tap lately and I just really like it as a summer beer, so I’m upping the rating a bit as I drink it at Ray’s. nice. deep golden color. Medium thick malts, not too sweet. Nice citrusy hops for balance and finish. substantial enough to stand above macros and some micros too.

007lund (92) - Ann Arbor, USA - JUL 28, 2002
The malt overpowers the hops, making for a sweeter ale. Aroma is too fruity. I wouldn't want more than one.

nstal (237) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 22, 2002
The first Goose Island beer I tried, and its a very good one. Noticably more hops and malt than the blonde ale, as well as an attractive appearance.

ClarkVV (6825) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 18, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 6, 2014 Unimpressive clear reddish amber color. Fizzy. This had a spicy, very carbonated nose, which then led into a bit of a stale, heavy hop taste. Beer is very unbalanced and ends with a touch on the lighter side, with some fruity notes. Did they forget the malt? 5/2/4/2/8

No they did not forget the malt. Wow, old ratings are pretty funny. While I wont go out of my way to drink this, if it’s a macro-oriented bar, I will happily drink this and enjoy it. Light in hop flavor, fairly dry. Not going to knock your socks off, but certainly drinkable and clean.

davidoc (113) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 2, 2002
This isn't one of my favorite Goose Island brews. Honestly, the Honker's Ale tastes a bit like it has geese in it.