overall
RATINGS: 1925   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   IBU: 32   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Bottle conditioned.
Ingredients: Water, Styrian and Saaz Hops, 2-Row Barley and Caramel Malt, Yeast and Granulated Beet Sugar.
Matilda is made with a rare yeast that suggests a fruity and spicy flavor. There is complex maltiness balanced with a profuse amount of hops.

oakbluff (448) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - MAR 15, 2007
Bottle courtesy of Viggo- surprise extra in a trade- thanks man! Poured into an Affligem chalice. Cloudy tangerine colour with a good off white head. The smell was belgian candi. Looks like this will be a tasty brew. Taste- wow! Not what I was expecting- has a real sourness that caught me by surprise. Really dry finish to boot. Label says profound hops but I’m not picking up a ton- maybe on the finish. The sourness was a treat- defintely funky- Jolly Pumpkin like. Mouthfeel is good- fairly high carbonation. This is a unique brew and it was great to try a bottle. Very drinkable - the sourness becomes very addicting! I see most other reviews don’t note the sour notes- perhaps I’m just going crazy?

biggcb (464) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 15, 2007
Bottle. After the initial gusher in which I lost about 1/3 of the bottle, it poured a somewhat hazy golden/amber color with a voluminous frothy white head. Aroma was sweet, yeasty with a dash of spice. Flavor was somewhat sweet (fruity), a touch yeasty and fairly hoppy. Quite tasty. Perhaps a bit too carbonated.

golubj (1377) - San Mateo, California, USA - MAR 14, 2007
Draft. I remember enjoying this belgian. Very fruity and sweet flavor, but I don’t remember much else to say about it. So I guess it wasn’t that impressive.

alexanderj (3605) - Branson, Missouri, USA - MAR 14, 2007
Pretty standard Belgian strong ale for me; but still well done. Yeast, citrus and fruit aroma. Flavor was much of the same.

Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 13, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 20, 2008 Note: This is a rating for a tap glass of “Matilda Reserve” I was served at the brewpub (Clybourn location). I’m re-writing my Matilda rating and not adding a new entry although there is a different entry for “Goose Island Tripel” and “Goose Island Reserve Tripel”. However this tap glass was significantly different from the bottles I’ve had in the past. Even better that the already excellent bottle version. It may just be because it was on tap or maybe this should be a different entry. I’ll move the rating if I see one day a local creates a new entry for a Matilda Reserve

In short: A Saison-like crisp Belgian ale.
How: Tap at brewpub
The look: Clear golden blonde body with a small white head.
In long: Lots of crisp malts. Although not funky per say the beer as a strong farmhouse character. Fruity notes are on the lighter juicy citric side of things with grapefruits, granny smith apples and so on. Wonderful complex hops finish blending Saaz-ish dry grassiness and citrusy American hops. Citric tartness just make you wanna go for more and more. This tap glass was much crisper and less candy than all the bottles I’ve had before. Best thing with a woman name I’ve had since... well... a woman.

Willin8 (55) - Massapequa, New York, USA - MAR 11, 2007
Pours orange/brown. Aroma is fruity. Flavor is orange, lemon, citrus. A little banana becomes more evident. Mouthfeel is slightly fizzy and crisp.

legion242 (2348) - Richardson, Texas, USA - MAR 9, 2007
For what it claims to be, it sure does not stand up, but was very pleasent nonetheless. Very, very mild on the tongue.

hopdog (12510) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 9, 2007
12oz bottle. Bottled on 072705. Poured a medium and cloudy amber color with a larged sized off white head. The first thing that came to my mind when I smelled it was apple pie. Along with those aromas came light spices, lemons and light yeast. I was into the apple pie aroma. Tastes of all around fruitiness, trace of spices and yeast. Body was fizzy and too carbonated for my tastes.

holdenn (2116) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 4, 2007
Sampled on cask at NotLA. This special version was dry hopped with Simcoe hops. Very yeasty nose, citrus, spice, red apples, and pepper. Lots of red apple in the flavor, sour spice, yeast and more fruit. The simcoe hops and yeast did it well, smooth, subtle, and tasty.

jstraw (1967) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 28, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2008 Cloudy orange with good, creamy head / Light, sour, fruity nose / Medium body with creamy, hop underpining, good finish, with some alcohol bite / Flavors of sour malt, banana, apple, and black pepper, with lovely hop finish / A fine Belgian highlighted by a superb body.