overall
RATINGS: 797   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47/5   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Bottle: Filtered.
Ingredients: Hops: UK Fuggle, Willamette; Malts: 2 Row, Caramel, Wheat, Dark Chocolate, Victory
Our Nut Brown Ale combines the finest domestic and imported malts to produce a chestnut-hued ale of unusual complexity. Subtle notes of chocolate, honey and fine tobacco give this ale an enjoyable and satisfying “nutty” finish.

gerdy555 (163) - Ohio, USA - MAY 17, 2002
this is the first nut brown ale that i have ever had so i don’t have much of a basis for comparison. however the only differice that i found between this and any other brown ale that i’ve had is the appearance, which is much darker and virtual opague

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - MAY 17, 2002
Sorry, this one just couldn’t cut it with me as a ’great’ brown ale. Not really a lot to say. It comes off as way too thin and watery, almost like a macro, and whatever dominant ’taste’ to it was metallic in character. Next to no aroma to speak of, though the appearance is a really pleasing opaque brown. Who knows, the six-pack I bought (based on the reputation it was getting on this site) may have been sitting out in too much light for too long. But it’s quite the disappointment. This is just way too far off from Rogue’s Hazelnut Brown to be worth only 3/10 of a point’s difference. If you want a top-notch Brown, go for Rogue. (Wish I can say I’ve tried the Boyne River....) If you don’t believe me, put them in a back-to-back test and I don’t see how they can compare. The Rogue is one of my top-10 favorites and truly first rate; this is just . . . average.

SJP (483) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 15, 2002
I really don’t like nut brown ales, and this was no exception. A decent balance of hop and malt flavors, and goes down smoothly, just not a very appealing taste to me.

heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - MAY 11, 2002
Rerate here. Solid brown nice malt flavors as well as balancing hops. Just lacks the extra oomph that makes a distinct and memorable impression

Jake Barnes (456) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 25, 2002
In desperate need of a rerate here. This was originally one of my favorite brews when I began drinking ’good’ beer. Now im not so impressed. There’s a house character to GI brews that doesn’t quite sit right with me these days (except in their X-mas Ale). Im not sure what it is but this beer seems almost like a flat stout to me now.

Dogbrick (13019) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 23, 2002
More enjoyable than Newcastle’s version, but a little more pricey as well. I tasted a hint of nutmeg and/or brown sugar (I don’t know my spices that well), and this Ale managed to be both smooth and robust at the same time. Good stuff.

bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - APR 23, 2002
This sounded really good, and amazingly - it was! Nice rich flavor. I’m looking forward to trying the rest of the Goose Island offerings.

krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - APR 22, 2002
pretty close to a porter: brown as a downtown manhole cover, with a little red reflecting along the dark edges- like a stop light blinking on the wet deserted streets. it’s paris or lyon, the autumn chestnut street vendors have gone home, but the roasting smell lingers. that’s what you’ve got here in this beer. you can almost hear a lonely dog barking in the distance, aye? the first pour saw a plump creamy head. aroma of alcohol, honey orange and peat... very roasty, almost mesquite. light palate, dry, and still some hop.

HoppyKev (50) - Redford, Michigan, USA - APR 14, 2002
this is a good nut brown, it could have a bit more maltiness

k2 (146) - USA - APR 13, 2002
Good brown ale. It has a bit of a different aftertaste.