overall
RATINGS: 129   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Chicago, home to more Czechs than any city outside the Czech Republic, is a fitting home for America’s finest Pilsner. Goose Island Pils is craft brewed and cold lagered for a crisp refreshing taste.

Golden color, noble hop aroma, crisp pilsner malt flavor, light body

Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - APR 27, 2003
A clean and light pils. Color and body were lighter than I would have liked. On the upside, there was an adequate amount of hops to keep this crisp - I found a surprising amount of black pepper flavor in this. It's above the swill, but I would more likely reach for a Prima or Burnham Pils.

DEbeer (192) - West Virginia, USA - APR 11, 2003
I was surprised at how much this smelled and tasted like a pale. I would have never guessed that it's pilsener. It is very hoppy, but molty enough to balance it.

Silphium (3199) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - APR 11, 2003
I agree with the previous rater. The underwhelming reviews this beer has received did not cloud my palate. This one is very similar to Victory Pils, and is actually a bit more drinkable. No cloying peppery flavor here; this one hits with lemony crispness and perfect carbonation. When I'm in the mood for a light Beverage of Mass Consumption (BMC), I will trek to the land of Goose Island Pilsener to confiscate my bounty.

humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - APR 8, 2003
UPDATED: APR 9, 2003 In the realm of pilseners this is a very good brew. I am quite baffled by its percentile given its similarity to Victory Prima Pils which I feel is a bit of a stretch for a pilsener. This beer is smooth, crisp, subtly sweet with a light hoppy citrus finish. The aroma is fruity and mellow. The head maintains and has more lace than Liberace. I'm not buying the hype: this is a very fine beer.

Hysteria (38) - USA - APR 5, 2003
What a mega brewery in the U.S. should be marketing. Very nice clean taste with a modest character. Tastes like a micro brewed light beer on draft.

WabashMan (1024) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - MAR 9, 2003
Before tasting this, I feel it necessary to say that it follows an earlier tasting of the Victory Prima Pils...unfair, perhaps, but those are the breaks. To begin, this one starts out with a lightly hazy, medium gold color and decent white head. The aroma is actually quite nice...surprisingly good, in my opinion, and a very nice beginning for any pils. The flavor is also fairly nice, though not enough so to make this a superior pils. Crisp and clean, and more akin to the Bohemian pilseners than standard pilseners, this one is nice but doesn't measure up to the standards of, for example, a Czechvar. However, better than expected based on others' ratings.

GreatSatanUSA (107) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 1, 2003
Had a little bit of a sweet, almost melon like flavor in it. An ok beer but not as good as other Goose Island brews.

Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 31, 2003
I didn't care for this at all. Pours very light straw with almost no head. The aroma is boring and uneventful. The flavors are bland to dull. The most disappointing Goose Island beer I can remember, save maybe the Kilgubbin red.

redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - JAN 22, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 8, 2006 re-rate. Golden color beer. Good balance of mild hops and crisp malts. Dry finish. A good example.

joet (2606) - Wilsonville, Oregon, USA - JAN 13, 2003
Not terrible. A bit sweet and the hops are at least distinguishable as having deep grassy notes. Muddy but substantial lagery flavors. Foamy.