overall
RATINGS: 129   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Chicago, home to more Czechs than any city outside the Czech Republic, is a fitting home for America’s finest Pilsner. Goose Island Pils is craft brewed and cold lagered for a crisp refreshing taste.

Golden color, noble hop aroma, crisp pilsner malt flavor, light body

tex (52) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 11, 2003
I like other Goose Island beers far better. I think this seems like it’s trying too hard to be different.

booyaatribe (450) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 6, 2003
Decent, although there’s a slight off note.

Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - DEC 27, 2002
Czechy, but also not. Not as soapy/oily in the mouthfeel as some...but still a real quality nose here. Then some snappy hops do indeed keep it crisp. The malt is like a saltine cracker. Let’s see if this guy loses some quality points in the warm-up, shall we?

austinpowers (2828) - New York, New York, USA - DEC 25, 2002
A pleasant surprise. After tasting a bunch of cheap foreign lagers today, I now turn to this quality pils from Chicago and the aroma and flavor are a nice change from El Salvadoran brews. Adequate Saazy crispness with a bit of spice to liven things up. Nice, but a far cry from Czechvar, the gold standard in pils brews.

AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 21, 2002
Diminishing head. Gold color, light carbonation. Soft, kind of "cotton-y" mouthfeel. Sweeter malty taste. As jskendzel, who I visited the brew pub with, said I think they served it too cold, because the flavors were slowly released so the bottom end of this was far better than the top.

jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - DEC 20, 2002
First off, I’m not a huge pilsner fan. I liked this beer but I didnt think it fit the style well; either that or it was served too cold at the Clybourn brew pub and I was too impatient to let it warm up. Seemed quite sweet to me, more than this style allows, with a mild hop character. My mind is thinking Czech Budweiser or Pilsner Urquell--none of that here. I enjoyed the beer as it warmed up but am just kind of blah on Pilsners anyway so I will shutup now.

JoeM500 (1908) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Not much can be said about this pils. By far my least favorite from Goose Island. Crisp it is, refreshing it is not. Pils isn’t my thing, but it is miles behind Victory, Saxer,FFF,etc.

gws57 (1276) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - DEC 6, 2002
Had this on draght at Goose Island in Wrigleyville. Didn’t like it. I don’t even think I finished it. Like all pilsners, it has low body and a weak finish. Light color.

krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - NOV 17, 2002
soft, pastel lemon merangue color with just the slightest haze. a powdered sugar dusting of head is all that lingers after an initial frothy burst. nose is rich and attractive with diffuse elements of golden delicious apple, white grape, yeasty italian bread sticks. i tasted it beside a victory prima pils, and conclude that the goose has a bigger malt profile. wonderfully quaffable light, floral nectar sweetness, with perfectly balanced hop, like a dry-hopped pear wine, and silky smooth carbonation. the victory of course unapologetically favors those snappy hops which it can evidently buy by the ton at sam’s club or mad king ludwig’s house of hops clearance warehouse-- so, if it’s showy hops yer a cravin’, then go with the victory. but, the goose has the better balance.

stephen (308) - California, USA - NOV 15, 2002
Hazy, dark yellow. Small particles, small head and minimal visible carbonation. Noble hops dominate with a decent maltiness. Fairly bitter.