overall
RATINGS: 1348   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Fermented with wild yeasts and aged in wine barrels with orange peel, Sofie is a tart, dry, sparkling ale. A subtle, spicy white pepper note, a hint of citrus from the orange peel and a creamy vanilla finish make Sofie an intriguing choice for Champagne drinkers and beer drinkers who are fond of Belgian Saisons.

SPDickerman (1315) - Texas, USA - SEP 19, 2012
2012 Vintage. Pours hazy yellow with a large sudsy white head. Smells a little vinous, and a little funky and sour. Taste is a little spicy, hints of orange, and yeasty bread. Medium-bodied with a smooth, wet texture and lots of mouth-carbonation, Goose Island Sofie finishes with a yeasty, wine-like dryness.

r464 (2370) - Earth, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 16, 2012
Very smooth, light for the alcohol content. Some spiciness, citrus, and just a bit of bitterness. Very nice finish.

GarrettB (1657) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 15, 2012
May 1st, 2010 - Goose Island was a name murmured in the back halls of beer bars and graduate student lounges around Seattle. I had heard of it before too; it was one of those breweries out East that folks would go into a frenzy for, grabbing their spears and performing weird rituals in the dead of night to secure a bottle of this or that. Goose Island was one of the names uttered in their shamanistic trances, but I didn’t think much of it. Out in Seattle we were too far away, and no amount of trading or haggling would be worth the effort to acquire a bottle. But then, one day, there it was. It occupied a spot on the shelf of my local QFC, as if it had always been there. I stared at it for awhile, until an old lady severed my achilles in half with a rusty cart. This compelled me to pick up the beer and hobble to the cashier to take my new prize home and see what the fuss was about. And I still don’t get it. A golden body pours from the bottle, and features a thick white head. The aroma is bright, but transparent, and seems rarefied, left with only slight scents of corn and wheat and a bland, generic sweetness. The flavor is bitter, far too carbonated, and sometime after the mid-taste it tapers down to a clean but simple lager and honey aftertaste. I’m comparing my notes with others on RB and simply can’t understand the stark difference. I think this one may be up for a re-rate.

DRBiser (29) - - SEP 13, 2012
9/13/12. Picked up 4-pack at pinehurst wine shoppe. First beer of session. Nose is incredible. Delicate sweetness, with lemon, honey, pepper, and a touch of coriander. Fresh. The sort of nose that I think is outstanding year round. This is first time I've had it so will report back this winter This beer rocks. The spice, citrus, vanilla, and honey hits ya all at once, and the combination makes for one refreshing sensation. When I swallow I get a hint of peppermint and outright pepper as well. The mouthfeel is smooth and fuller than I'd expect. And in the aftertaste the citrus comes back, but it's way more dry. A solid and unique beer through and through ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

rlgk (18844) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - SEP 10, 2012
Bottle. Yellow beer with a nice lasting white head. Grapefruit aroma, perfume, pepper, grapes, floral, dandelions, woody, sour, some caramel. Sourish grapefruit flavor, perfume, floral, citrus, lime, dry, sour, pepper, coriander, grapes, some dandelions. Sourish herbal finish with perfume, hay, floral notes and some pepper. Exceptional!

adeishaqra (45) - - SEP 9, 2012
Crispy, clean, and the orange peels definitely add to the fruity taste to the beer. Clear, champagne like appearance. And a smooth finish with a slight alcohol burn.

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - SEP 9, 2012
Draft at Blowtoad. Clear gold with slight head that fades away. Aroma is lightly citric. Flavor is gentle pils malts, with interesting flavors in the background, all subtle and balanced. Notes of pepper, coriander, orange, citrus, and gooseberry. It was a touch on the cold side - I think that muted things more than I would have liked. Would love to spend some time with a full bottle of this. Nicely done.

Tinco (621) - Linköping, SWEDEN - SEP 6, 2012
Pours a yellow hay slightly dizzy color. Huge white fluffy head. Aroma is tart, citrus, a little funk, spice, belgian yeast, barnyard, white grape, malty. Nice complex aroma. Taste is slightly tart, spicy, maltiness, citrus, funkyness, barnyard. Very nice and complex brew! Refreshing.

Reynolds314 (3477) - Connecticut, USA - SEP 5, 2012
I see these beers everywhere and never bought them but theyre all fantastic. The GI belgian line have impressed me and this is no exception. Really great saison here with lots of spicy yeast and citrus fruit with a nice rustic earthy taste.

Caytinator (1005) - Waco, Texas, USA - SEP 3, 2012
UPDATED: APR 8, 2013 22oz bomber. Gentle yellow color, hazy, little bubbly head, slight lacing. Kind of an ugly beer, actually. I agree with the description - this is a "chamgagne-y" and I really like it but I think it’s a little bit over-rated, but not much.