overall
RATINGS: 901   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Kolsch, the clean and refreshing beer style of Cologne, Germany, quenches summertime thirst. This pale golden ale with a lightly fruity aroma is cold-conditioned or lagered after its primary fermentation. More simply, our Summertime uses only the finest malts and German hops to create the perfect beer for hot Summer days and warm Summer nights.

MrRomero (1976) - Nolanville, USA - JUL 1, 2003
On Tap at GI: Semi cloudy, thin white head. Aroma of hops and slight fruitiness. Nice lacing. Excellent.

jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - JUN 25, 2003
Quite fruity with a slight (and I emphasize that) tart, dry component. Has a signature taste that I find in many other GI brews.

booyaatribe (453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 22, 2003
I've never been wild about this style, although I suppose this is a decent example of it.

DrnkMcDermott (3136) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JUN 16, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 8, 2003 Draft, at the brewery. Tried this at the breakroom of Goose's brewing plant, so if they still microbrew it at the brewpub, it may be different. Nice light color and appealing aroma. Sweet malt flavor, hops are noticeable but not in the way, and some yeasty taste, too. Kölsch is not a common style in the midwestern US, and it's nice that the Goose (and other brewers) are using it as their summer beer. Hope it turns on a few new people to the world of beer.

Silphium (3198) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - JUN 11, 2003
A tasty, refreshing Kolsch from Chicago's "micro" macro, Goose Island! Lightly hoppy, lemony aroma gives way to a similary accentuated flavor. Very refreshing, definitely one to bring to the beach or to enjoy at a barbeque.

mwsf (361) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 9, 2003
Light straw color with a moderate head. Subtle malt aroma with a light fruitiness and a touch of hops underneath. Slightly sweet flavor. A touch of bitterness. Dry finish. Wonderfully balanced. This is an excellent Kolsch. Very nice refreshing beer. I could sit down and drink a six pack of this with no problems. Wonderful subtlety.

humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - JUN 5, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2003 Summertime never tasted so good as this smooth Kolsch by a burgeoning micro/macro. Slightly cloudy, light hops and citrus undertones. A fine, golden hue of a beverage. True to the style, this baby is like Goose Pilsner (which I thuroughly enjoy) only lighter. I cannot but rave over this brew. One of the better Kolsch I have tried (not that I have tried many). Notice it rates number 1 in is it's style (yet only 59th percentile). Give me a hot summer day, but give me a Goose Island Kolsch.

JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - MAY 29, 2003
I've heard this beer can be inconsistent, so maybe my bottle was one of the bad ones. Light in colour. Looks good in the glass like most Goose Island brews. Refresthing taste though the flavour seems confused. The spices, lemon and hops seem to be disagreeing with one another as they pass over my tongue. I dont like many Summer Ales, so I'll just call this one average.

BBB63 (6567) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - MAY 25, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 29, 2003 Bottle - First to note that for some reason, this beer is very inconsistant, some bottles good, others lack the same taste, rare for Goose Island. Nice clean appearance with small head and some lace. Fruity and a little woody on the nose. Spicy and a slight hoppiness on the palate, finished clean. Nice for a hot summertime day. Rerate on tap - my first impressions of this beer are still correct, even on tap it's an okay session beer, quaffable, nothing more.

loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - MAY 21, 2003
Light golden color with a rocky white head that left plenty of lace on the glass. The aroma and flavor just didn't do it for me...some fruitiness, some sweetness. I guess it kept reminding me of a cheap macro lager. Maybe I just don't like this style.