overall
RATINGS: 901   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Kolsch, the clean and refreshing beer style of Cologne, Germany, quenches summertime thirst. This pale golden ale with a lightly fruity aroma is cold-conditioned or lagered after its primary fermentation. More simply, our Summertime uses only the finest malts and German hops to create the perfect beer for hot Summer days and warm Summer nights.

WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 9, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 30, 2006 Well, maybe it works on a hot day but it was surprisingly uninteresting in Chicago on a cold snowy April afternoon, either by itself or with a great cheese. Hard to think of much to say about it, either good or bad. Great golden color with a good white head. No real nose. No real taste, malt or bitter hop ... in fact, tasted like drinking slightly off mineral water. Almost no taste at all, other than a slight floral taste. Nasty metalic aftertaste and long lingering bitterness, which would have been refreshing after a malty hoppy beer but seemed silly ... why have a bitter finish on mineral water. Really disappointing. One is enough. Save some money and have some Budweiser. // Slightly more interesting at the brew pub, fresher, more intense, better mouth feel. But I’m going to leave my numbers unchanged, since the bottle reflects the experience most of us will have when drinking this beer.

JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - MAY 29, 2003
I've heard this beer can be inconsistent, so maybe my bottle was one of the bad ones. Light in colour. Looks good in the glass like most Goose Island brews. Refresthing taste though the flavour seems confused. The spices, lemon and hops seem to be disagreeing with one another as they pass over my tongue. I dont like many Summer Ales, so I'll just call this one average.

lemonlovr (191) - Orland Park, Illinois, USA - AUG 19, 2003
Nothing special here. The aroma, while interesting, was somewhat weak for me. The flavor didn't improve much. It's not repulsive by far, but nothing to write home about. Yet another Goose Island to check off my list...

thedm (6320) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 1, 2003
Thie brew poured a medium head of fine to large sized white mostly diminishing bubbles that left behind a minimal lacing and a slightly hazy yellow orange colored body. Its aroma is a mixture of fruity floral malt smells and its mouth feel is bubbly and left my mouth feeling slightly tingly. THe flavor is mild with notes of malt hops and someting a little more spicey.

Pailhead (6543) - Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA - OCT 27, 2004
Bottle: Aroma is a rather weak light malt, apple, and hops. Pours a slightly hazy pale yellow with very small white head. Kind of a weak flavor. Light malt. Light apple. Finishes like a lot of euro pilsners with a little sourness. light bitterness. Second Kolsh I’ve had, and I just don’t think this is my style of beer. Easy drinking, but not a lot of character.

RAYBOY01 (2010) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 17, 2005
I would not have said "kolsch"...I think this is very drinkable and refreshing but seems too mildly hopped. I like a little more bite in my summer ales. But I definitely would have another one.

BCAR (223) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - APR 20, 2005
Light straw color with a citrus and hop nose. Just not enough there for me. Flavor is not pronounced and had an acrid aftertaste. I’ll try again when it’s 90 degrees.

MrBunn (2849) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 16, 2006
Pours a very light and dirty straw color with a white frothy head. Aromas are of grass and lemon, but a bit of a scuzzy smell that I can’t quite figure out. Flavor is similar... there’s something that disagrees with me in this one, but it’s hard to pin down. In spite of all that, it is very crisp and has a light texture that is nice, just the aroma and the finish are not going to make me a fan.

ganache (6069) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 11, 2006
Bottle. Clear golden pour with a short white head. Powerful aroma, fruity and malty with just the slightest hint of hops. Very crips - too crisp. Firm bitterness initially strikes me as good and organic but settles as something more befitting a BMC. Medium body. Fruitiness arrives only after warming. And not really a Kölsch to my taste.

xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - MAY 13, 2007
On tap at clyborn. Uff, needed this beer for the MBA card and I’m not sure if I would have done it on any other circumstance. Yellow golden color with little aroma. Tastes like an easily drinkable light lager with heavy carbonation. Gooses beers are normally really solid and they did this one right on, I guess kolschs are just not my cup of tea.