overall
Brewed by Gösser (Brau Union)
Style: Dunkel/Tmavý
Leoben, Austria

RATINGS: 399   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12/5   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
The bottom fermented, dark Gösser Stiftsbräu is brewed according to old, inherited traditions. With a smoky, roasted nose and a thick and creamy taste on the palate, Stiftsbräu is a sophisticated delight for lovers of a slightly sweet, dark beer. The overall impression that Stiftsbräu creates is one of great harmony and well roundedness. 11.8°

doctor (4) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAY 1, 2002 does not count
This is the epitome of dark beer. Smooth malty easy drinking dunkel. With Pork Knuckle it just doesn't get any better. My all time favourite.

vwsteggie (684) - Paxton, Massachusetts, USA - APR 10, 2002
Another favorite from the homeland and one of the few I could get in the States. It was best on tap, it got a little more bitter in the bottle.

austinpowers (2832) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 16, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2005 Delicious. A lightly sweet, rather malty and substantial dunkel that doesn’t skimp. Dark brown in color and much like a brown ale. Utterly delicious and representative of my type of beer. Polished off my pint in no time flat.
Earlier Rating: 5/29/2002 Total Score: 3.2
Dark; I was expecting a pilsner from Austria and am pleasantly surprised. Reminiscent of Xingu. Very nice and a bit sweet in the body.

littlecarp (135) - Redding, California, USA - MAR 27, 2007
very refreshing beer, strong hint of honey that lingers through the finish. one of my new favorites

k2 (146) - USA - AUG 28, 2001
Good clean dark beer. Not very overpowering. Nice everyday beer...........

twierz99 (15) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 26, 2002
A very good dark beer. Not a very strong palate, but very good flavor. I will buy more.

Raaha (67) - Michigan, USA - FEB 22, 2002
It was a good beer. I don't think it is Austria's finest like they say. I had a couple better when I was in Ischgal. Still is a very good beer though. I will probably buy more. Hard to find good beer here. I think warsteiner Dunkel is better though.

thomasacross (129) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - DEC 27, 2006
Draft at Black Forest Inn. Dark brown in appearance (like a brown ale) with a creamy head. Smooth, creamy and fulfilling in the mouth. More sweet than bitter with a biscuity, molasses flavor. Couldn’t imagine a better session beer. I imagine this is much better on draft, can’t imagine the creaminess out of a bottle without a widget. Highly recommended.

dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 15, 2001
Nice brown head, very dark color. Roasted, nutty, hint of chocolate flavors. Very nice beer.

Ole (14) - Bröndby, DENMARK - OCT 15, 2001
A very good dark beer..............................................