Schipper’s Beer Company
Brewed at Tuatara Brewing Company (DB Breweries)

Style: Pilsener
Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.34/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
This is the brew you don’t take home to meet your mum and dad. It’s a feisty, peppery Pilsner that will remind you why you fell in love with beer in the first place. Just don’t marry it. Malts: Lager, Gladiator. Hops: Wakatu, Pacifica. Yeast: Lager Yeast. OG:1047 IBU:50 EBC5.2

Most RecentTicked By

Pdubyah (791) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 8, 2015
I’m at a loss as to why this is such a disappointment. The aroma seemed ok, The mouthfeel seemed ok, the lingering almost to dry and pepper lingers, and it’s plenty sweet and comfortable. But that’s all there is. I wanted more of that harsh bite, didn’t get it. As I drank more the lingering mouthfeel became a little unpleasing too. I’m not sure I’ve got this right, and I’m sure the beer is better than this.

waiake (606) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 23, 2014
500ml bottle from local quality food shop typical craft beer price peppery bitterish taste with lingering hoppyness 1 is enough for now

3fourths (9358) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - DEC 27, 2013
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2014 A stunning and flavorful zwickelpils with Saphir-like lemon, cheese and musty hop character, very Old World in nature but certainly New World in execution. Exceptionally soft malt combined with a touch of yeast in the bottle gives it a creamy and velvety body with matching softness from low natural carbonation. Take the lemon and peppercorn spice of Spalt and the nectar / juiciness of Hallertau, amp them up a few decibels, combine with that cheesy / musty Saphir character and here we go... lemon pith, dried citrus, faint tropical gum touches with a strong pepperiness like Tettnanger on steroids. First impression was surprise, Wakatu and Pacifica hops, I’ve never had a clear taste of them until now, but by the end of the bottle I’ve fallen in love. No resin, no Christmas tree, no onion, diesel, cat pee or vegetable root, these are the Kiwi hops that need more attention, and this brewer, only two years in business, has certainly got my attention. First 4.0-level beer of the New Zealand trip and I would be happy to drink nothing but this for the rest of my time here. Re-rate: first bottle at home has noticeable diacetyl, very yeasty, cooked / over-kilned grains and corn kernels... I’m stumped.

meerbier (1474) - Pijnacker, NETHERLANDS - NOV 11, 2013
[email protected] Yes! This is how a Pilsner should taste like. Not too clean, well hopped yet not grassy or too bitter. Love it!

DylansDad (659) - North Shore, Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 6, 2013
Aroma leaves no doubt that this is a Pilsner. Pours a beautiful slightly hazy straw yellow. Not a lot of carbonation. Taste is peppery. The noble hop flavours are all there, along with the grainy, yet clean and crisp, malt, but the middle and finish are a little overpowered by the spiciness. As the beer warms and breathes (cos I’m slowly drinking the whole bottle by myself) the flavours come together nicely and I rate this a couple of points higher than if I’d stopped after a single glass. Nice.