overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Het Anker
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Mechelen, Belgium

RATINGS: 1498   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 11   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
For more than 35 years we had to miss the Christmas beer but in 2002 the tradition was restored with Gouden Carolus Christmas. Its a strong, dark ruby red ale with character and contains an alcohol percentage of 10.5 % alc.vol. Brewed in August, the beer rests a few months to reach an optimal balance. Six different kinds of herbs and spices and three different kinds of hops define the rich taste followed by a long, well-seasoned aftertaste. Perfect combination with wild, stews or ripened, strong cheeses. Top-class!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
martythesmarty (308) - SWEDEN - MAY 10, 2017
Bottle. Pours brown with almost no head. Salmiak aroma. Taste of licorice. Not good.

Arcanor (408) - Quebec, CANADA - MAY 4, 2017
330ml bottle, best before 2017-08-26. Pour hazy dark reddish brown with a fast disappearing foam. Aroma of strong spice, clove and candied fruit. Taste is sweet and strong on the same spice, malty. High body and carbonation for the style. Dry, licorice. Long sweet clove and malty finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Cristobal37 (1091) - Budapest, HUNGARY - MAY 3, 2017
UPDATED: MAY 3, 2017 Bottle bb 2018/9. Super dark black with thin head. Sugar, medicinal herbs aroma. Black liqourice, jagermeister, doughy absinthe taste. I hope something went wrong here because I usually love Het Anker beers. Hot alcohol streak in the finish. Deplorable really. What could have caused this? Oxidation? I think I?ll try again, cause I respect this brewery and something seems off, if not wow that was atrocious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
teddybearontap (14) - - APR 21, 2017
Appearance - beautiful mahogany brown color with a creamy foam top. Aroma - raisins, honey, a hint of toasty maltiness, nice and spicy with clove and anise-seed. Taste - echoes the aroma. I normally dislike Belgian strong ales due to their banana-y cloyingly sweet esthers, but this was a very welcome exception. The sweetness had more of a honey, even raisin characteristics without being annoyingly sweet, and the star anise notes I got from it were simply gorgeous. Palate - not watery, not too syrup-y, and not so fizzy it drowns out the flavors. Well done. Overall - a very, very well-made beer. My favorite holiday beer to date, indeed: my favorite spiced beer in general to date. I really, really enjoyed this and definitely got me in the christmas/wintery mood. Honestly, the only thing this beer needed more was a fireplace to enjoy it by and snow falling in the background. And I say that despite the fact that I normally, full disclosure, absolutely despise Gouden Carolus (I find it too cloyingly sweet for me). In fact, this is the beer that inspired my first homebrew. Id say that speaks for itself.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hector44 (8) - SPAIN - APR 20, 2017 does not count
Una gran cerveza, muy aromtica, destacando los toques de regaliz y frutos rojos, dejando en el paladar el gusto de caf junto con las pasas y regaliz

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
thetmaxx (912) - West Sacramento, California, USA - APR 9, 2017
I really liked this beer, kinda sweet and Candi buy its good. Poured nice frothy head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rehkopff (73) - Odense, DENMARK - MAR 16, 2017
Meget tydelig lakrids duft. Flot brun og behagelig første indtryk. Juleøl som nydes alene uden mad - men en fantastisk øl. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
davidf93 (95) - Stellenbosch, SOUTH AFRICA - MAR 12, 2017
Cumin liquorice sticky toffee notes. Dark red colour with medium to light tan head, good amount of lacing. Sweet slight bitter lifeless body. Not too bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
balloonbuffoon (209) - - MAR 10, 2017
11.2floz bottle with an unclear date of ??/08/2014 (smudged ink) on the back label. Paid a discounted price about $2 two months ago. Fills my tulip glass with a fizzy, murky, amber hued brown body and a quick receding head. Beet sugar is alive and well in the nose. I consider it to be the the highlight as lacks a certain pizazz otherwise. Feels lighter than it should given its alcohol content Yet alcohol is present as a sugary and subdued fennel are noted on the palate. Decent, although I remember liking this more a few years ago (5-10) when I had it once or twice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
martjoobolut (4089) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - MAR 10, 2017
Bottle, BB 19.09.19 (from beergium). Pours copper with beige head. The head stays. Aroma is massive spices, wormwood, anise, sweetness, malt, fruits. Flavor is sweet, malt, fruits, spices, anise. Finish slight bitterness and booze. Overall: not a huge fan of anise, ant this basically sweet-malty anise syrup... Well at least it was cheap, so it is a way to get drunk and I could force myself to drink this... but then again I would prefer some good ESL to this, so nah..