%>
overall
RATINGS: 279   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.63/5   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Local legends aren’t just born, they’re brewed. And no beer in the Midwest has a grander brewing tradition than Grain Belt. For over 100 years, Grain Belt has been the beer that fathers have passed on to sons and friends have passed amongst each other at local bars and watering holes. It is a beer with tradition that spans generations. Which is why it has become legendary–both here and across the country.

In the 1940s, around the same time Grain Belt built its famous bottle cap sign overlooking the Mississippi River in Northeast Minneapolis, they introduced a “Beer of Exceptional Quality”–Premium. With its crisp, unique flavor, Premium quickly became the flagship of the Grain Belt brand. And still is to this day.

Although the Grain Belt Premium recipe has changed hands over the years, one thing has remained the same–its legendary unique taste. And now that Premium is in the capable hands of a brewery with an even longer tradition than Grain Belt–the August Schell Brewery–may you rest assured that the flavor and heritage of Premium will live on forever.

So as a local legendary beer, we raise a glass to all the people, places and things that make the Midwest such a rich and unique place to live. Here’s to you!

kappaguy99 (5) - St Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 3, 2004 does not count
Mmm, the taste of Minnesota. The taste is a little too grainy, and there's a little too much carbonation for my liking. Still good for watching a Twins game though

1.1
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 21, 2004
Clear light gold color small head, terrible aroma, very light corn taste, just a touch of malt sweetness. You can tell its not a light but its not as good as any Miller product.The 4th lowest rating I've given a beer.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - FEB 4, 2004
A friend from Minnesota just sent me a 12 pack of Grain Belt (Schell's version). I can't say that it seems any different from the original. Very foamy white head, corn flavor, golden color. The one to have in Minnesota.

9750sts (1) - Kelley, Iowa, USA - JAN 28, 2004 does not count
A definete midwest beer. the color is a little disturbing but once you get past that and sctualy taste the beer you relize why this has been a staple in the region for so long.

0.6
M1 (12) - hibbing, Minnesota, USA - JAN 24, 2004
A bottle of refined urine would do the trick. This stuff is ok to say the least. FGood thing it was free (thanks to bro-in-law on leave!) Was bland, then had a strong after taste. Made me think of eating the urinal mint.

antisnobJP (275) - St. Michael, Minnesota, USA - DEC 11, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2004 Piss yellow color. Smells corny with Schells aroma.(Their cheaper beers don't smell good.) Virtually no head with tiny ring of persistent bubbles. Tastes light and sweet, finishes sweet. IS different under Schells, mainly yeast flavor and slightly thinner. Cheaper and better than the big macros, which makes it a no-brainer for mass gatherings. Subliminally made better by local legendary status.(And the fact that I drank enough to swim in during the 90's) Had to re-rate after finding it so easy drinkin' last weekend.(and maybe some homer bias)

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - DEC 2, 2003
Appearance is as good as it is going to get for this style, light yellow, decent, quite long lasting head, good lacing. Aroma is light, with just a hint of corn flakes. Mmmm, breakfast. Taste had a bit of corn, and a definite sweetness, but just enough hops to keep it from being cloying. Good palate. Really a quite decent example of the style. Thanks wawood!

SavMan (10) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - DEC 1, 2003
Bottle. I wish I could like this more, as it's a local legend and I want to support in-state industry. However, I've never been able to get a hang for this beer. It's heavier than most ASs, with a corny taste to it. Definitely sweeter than you'd expect. Maybe as I grow a better palate I will like this more, but until then, my roommates can support Schells Brewery for me.

JPDIPSO (6262) - Wauwatosa, USA - NOV 17, 2003
Dark straw color with a foamy white head. Light malt, grain, and floral hops aroma. thinner feel with a bit of effervescence. Light malt and grain flavors.

chuckt (6) - aurora, Colorado, USA - NOV 16, 2003 does not count
I tried this beer last summer in MN. I was very surprised. The flavor was very malty and sweet and it was heavy beer, you can not drink this all day long. But I did load up my car to take home, I have only found one place in DENVER that carrys this, but they recently quit. If anybody knows of a place in CO, please email me. You will not go wrong trying this beer one of the best American regional beers.