overall
RATINGS: 318   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.62/5   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Local legends aren’t just born, they’re brewed. And no beer in the Midwest has a grander brewing tradition than Grain Belt. For over 100 years, Grain Belt has been the beer that fathers have passed on to sons and friends have passed amongst each other at local bars and watering holes. It is a beer with tradition that spans generations. Which is why it has become legendary–both here and across the country.

In the 1940s, around the same time Grain Belt built its famous bottle cap sign overlooking the Mississippi River in Northeast Minneapolis, they introduced a “Beer of Exceptional Quality”–Premium. With its crisp, unique flavor, Premium quickly became the flagship of the Grain Belt brand. And still is to this day.

Although the Grain Belt Premium recipe has changed hands over the years, one thing has remained the same–its legendary unique taste. And now that Premium is in the capable hands of a brewery with an even longer tradition than Grain Belt–the August Schell Brewery–may you rest assured that the flavor and heritage of Premium will live on forever.

So as a local legendary beer, we raise a glass to all the people, places and things that make the Midwest such a rich and unique place to live. Here’s to you!

tr0ysbuckett99 (6) - Orland Park, Illinois, USA - DEC 10, 2001 does not count
My favorite beer. I drink High Life (a close second) when I’m not in Minnesota. Great beer, staple of a great state, and not too strong but not a light beer either. You make take ours Twins, but you will never take our grainbelt.

GrainBeltGuzzler (249) - Goodhue, Minnesota, USA - SEP 14, 2002
Let’s hear it for Schell’s. By far my favorite. Great aroma, and malty taste. Nothing beats a good cold Premium after a long day baling hay, and that includes all your over-priced micro-crap.

HollywoodND99 (1) - Fargo, North Dakota, USA - JUL 6, 2002 does not count
My favorite beer by far, I hope someone picks up this brand after MBC closed up. My friend jokes that I’m the only person he knows under 50 who drinks this stuff but I’m buying up all I can now.

beerlovinman99 (124) - USA - JUL 7, 2002
Rumor has it that SUmmit is interested in picking up Grain Belt. I hope Mark does -- he would be one of the few brewers smart enough not to mess with perfection!

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - NOV 22, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 28, 2003 A nice light aroma with a slight maltyness to it.clean finish ,but prefer the golden to this.I might be crazy but this brew seems to be all i can get from the Grainbelt people now but after being mostly in love with there golden i have to change and this brew is getting better and better as i drink more.I'm not ashamed to say it but i really like this swill,which is no swill at all IMO.

chuckt (6) - aurora, Colorado, USA - NOV 16, 2003 does not count
I tried this beer last summer in MN. I was very surprised. The flavor was very malty and sweet and it was heavy beer, you can not drink this all day long. But I did load up my car to take home, I have only found one place in DENVER that carrys this, but they recently quit. If anybody knows of a place in CO, please email me. You will not go wrong trying this beer one of the best American regional beers.

JSTICHA (2) - USA - JUL 13, 2004 does not count
GRAIN BELT PREMIUM IS BY FAR THE BEST BEER BREWED IN MINNESOTA AND ALWAYS WILL BE. IT WAS THAT WAY WHEN MINNESOTA BREWING WAS DOING IT, AND IT IS STILL THAT WAY NOW THAT SCHELLS IS SOING IT. GREAT BEER WILL NEVER GET OLD.

GrainBeltMan (30) - California, USA - DEC 16, 2006
World’s best brew! I have it shipped here (in multi-caseload increments) to San Diego from John’s Grocery in Iowa City. (Note that John’s carries approximately 1900 beers, including many Belgian brews.) Yes, it’s light in color and body - but it sure goes down easy. Of course it’s not "all malt" - I happen to like the flavor of corn adjuncts. If you dislike the entire pale lager category, than none of this will matter to you. However, GBP is far superior to Bud and Miller and even superior to Coors ("Original") which is my second favorite of its type. I enjoy many types of beer, but think that Grain Belt Premium is a helluva lot better than hundreds of dark, chewy, filling brews which are revered by many beer "experts" but taste shitty and ruin any food they accompany.

DicksMcGee (56) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 6, 2008
THANKS PEPSICAN for this awesome brew. This beer should be rated within it’s style. Sure it’s no Dark Lord, but it’s not an RIS! It’s a beautiful Lager. So, here I stand yelling from the tops of mountains with my GBP in hand saying "Reign Long and hard Grain Belt, you are true in my eyes."