Grand River Chikara Imperial Pilsner

Formerly brewed at Grand River Brewing
Style: Imperial Pils/Strong Pale Lager
Cambridge, Canada

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 2.18/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.49/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
One off.

Most RecentTicked By

barncatmatt (2286) - Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 22, 2011
cask at 2011 anniversary party. solventy alcohol. hardly recognizable as a beer. not a fan fav at the fest.

Sammy (12212) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 16, 2011
Experiment that didn’t work. Very dry cask smple handbottle and unfiltered. Not much aroma. Somewhat boozy,not drinkable.

MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - APR 15, 2011
Fresh cask sample, handbottled by the brewery. Thanks to Milos and Adil for sharing.Very cloudy straw lets almost no light in, pours just a thin ring of head. I wasn’t going to add my score initially, as I thought the beer might have been off a bit, but reading other reviews now, I see that folks share my thoughts, and it is not just me. Strange nose on this one. Like wet straw on a farm, lots of pale malts,with a bit of floral spice and loads of alcohol. Strong very, very sweet, of pale malts again. That’s about it. Sweet malts and alcohol. A bit of lemon on the finish. A massive beer that does not hide the alcohol well. Neat experiment in any event.

JB84 (649) - Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA - APR 13, 2011
Cask at GRB cask tasting 2011. Pour hazy/oily straw yellow little head. Aroma super sweet, paint thinner, grassy hops and a ton of booze. Taste to boozy for me I couldn’t get past the paint thinner mild grassy hops and pils played in the background. MF oily slick big body. Not my cup of tea but admire the stretch to make a bat shit crazy brew cheers!!

JesseM (1158) - Margaritaville, Ontario, CANADA - APR 12, 2011
Cask at GRB cask tasting. Thanks to GRB for hosting this awesome event. Nice hazy straw gold, more of a head than the other casked stuff I had at this event. Aroma is a mixed bag, wet hay, jube-jube candies, alcohol, minor hops, wet dog. Interesting. Flavour is not as hoppy as I was expecting, as the spicyness and booze take over. Mild pale and pils malt drowned out by indistinct sweetness. Like the old ale, feels like you dropped a shot of vodka in the glass, and I wouldn’t say it blends well. I know it’s supposed to be a boozy monster but even bearing that in mind I still couldn’t really enjoy it. Very interesting experiment though so I’m glad it was created in the spirit of creativity. I just don’t usually like beers that I know will produce that run-over-by-a-freight-train sensation.