overall
Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 147   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Grand Teton Brewing Company has been brewing bold, flavorful beers and serving them from large, beautiful bottles as part of its Cellar Reserve Series since March 2004.

We’ve always intended these beers to be wonderful fresh but also to be “cellarable”--to improve with months or even years of proper storage. Over the years we’ve been happiest cellaring our strong malty beers. That’s made selecting styles for our summer Cellar Reserve releases a challenge, since the best beers for cellaring are not always the best beers to enjoy on a hot summer’s day.

In Berliner Weisse we think we’ve found the perfect style for our summer Cellar Reserve. This north German wheat beer is traditionally brewed and released very fresh. It has a light body from the wheat and refreshingly tart acidity that make it a perfect summer thirst-quencher. Its lemony tartness is provided by a secondary fermentation with lactobacillus, the same microorganism that’s responsible for yogurt’s tang. That tartness increases and improves with age, so the people of Berlin are known to buy extra bottles to bury in their gardens for two years or more.

As usual with our Cellar Reserves, we’ve taken a traditional style and added our own twist. In this case we’ve tripled the strength over the traditional beer, which should only increase its aging potential. For the primary fermentation we used a traditional Bavarian hefeweizen yeast that produces soft notes of banana and clove. We followed that with lactobacillus and six months in conditioning to create a complex fruity acidity that compliments the soft sweet malt tones and a unique ale that is both fulfilling and refreshing.

SPDickerman (1239) - Texas, USA - SEP 30, 2012
Pours hazy orange with a fast fizzling white head. Smells tart, lemony, and a little sweet. Taste is tart, lemons, and a hint of banana. Light-bodied with a wet, refreshing texture and fizzy mouth-carbonation, Grand Teton Snarling Badger finishes a little tart.

kbutler1 (1381) - North Carolina, USA - SEP 29, 2012
Bottle. Pours a very heady slightly cloudy wheat yellow color witha pillowy white heas. Citrus and wheat in the nose. Hmmm, doesn’t taste like an Berliner I’ve had before. Slight green apple notes, wheat, and bubblegum. Berliner? I think not. Nevertheless, the flavors aren’t bad. Drinkable.

savnac (2391) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - SEP 27, 2012
750ml bottle (2012) from Yellowstone. Bright cloudy golden orange with a big thick foamy off white head. Aroma of lemon, fruity wheat, peaches and some light lacto. Flavor is mostly sweet fruity wheat with alcohol, dough, zesty lemon and light tartness. Medium to light body with active carbonation. More of a big wheat beer than a Berliner, the tartness is very subdued by the fruity wheat and alcohol. Interesting, not bad.

cbfobes (2883) - Quad Cities, Illinois, USA - SEP 14, 2012
Bottle shared by drowland, pours an unclear golden with a think white head, aroma has some fruit but seems more like spices than anything, the flavor is pretty light and there isn’t a whole lot there, overly sweet and not a lot of tartness to speak of, meh.

bytemesis (8348) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - SEP 12, 2012
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2012 Bottle. Pours Hazy golden amber, large creamy white head, some lacing. Aroma of wheat, grain, lemon. Flavor of Tart lemon, wheat, lemon rind bitter finish.

beerdad (397) - Kansas, USA - SEP 11, 2012
bottled. pours pale gold amber color with a white soapy head. aromas of malt banana and clove with a subtle lemon scent. taste is lemon sour/tartness and then bitter malt and sweet banana and clove. medium bodied with a light sour note on the finish

DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 29, 2012
Bottle. Personal Rating #2600. I chose this for #2600 because, well...actually, I didn’t really choose this beer for #2600; it just happened to be #2600, because that’s just what happened. It’s probably the 4800th beer I’ve had, but I am so sick of rating beer and saying the same shit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, that I probably rate every 16th new beer that I try these days. I chose to rate this because I couldn’t figure out anything else to do. I was playing the guitar, but I don’t think today was a good guitar playing day, I wasn’t really into what I was playing today. I think another reason I chose to rate this beer is because it’s...woah now, I almost said it’s a berliner weisse, but what I meant to say that it says it’s a berliner weisse..and I like berliner weisse’s so I figured that because the label says it’s a berliner weisse that it would in fact be..a berliner weisse, and being a berliner weisse, I figured that there was probably a decent chance that I might even like it, and then, because I liked it, I might be able to say some words in a rating that I hadn’t said over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again in other ratings.

In any event. This is a 7.5% "Berliner Weisse" that tastes like an imperial hefeweizen. I’ve probably never said that sentence in a rating before. Pours a cloudy bronze-yellow, spotty white head. Hefeweizen-like nose of wheat, banana, and clove. Flavors follow suit; if there is lactobacillus in this beer, I think it may have been dead when it got thrown in. It basically tastes like a high alcohol hefeweizen. It’s not putrid or anything; it’s not like the dead lactobacillus caused any horrific off flavors; i dont really think it did much of anything, actually. It’s just your average hefeweizen with a few more percentage points of ABV...this is what you call a date rape beer. I guess. I don’t really know; I dont have much experience calling beers date rape beers; in fact, this was my first. I lost my date rape beer name calling virginity to Grant Teton Snarling Badger. Know mother fucking that, and know it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (typing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again is actually quite fun) and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - AUG 22, 2012
750ml bottle. Rating #61. Hazy golden pour with a thin white head. Fruity aroma, banana and apple come to mind and with a little spiciness to add to the overall strangeness of it all. Flavor is similar, more fruitiness, light banana and not much tartness. Nice beer, but it’s not terribly berliner weiss like, tasty stuff though. (2467)

topherh (1928) - Kearney, Missouri, USA - AUG 22, 2012
Pours hazy golden with a a fluffy white head. Aroma is sweet and citrusy. Flavor is lightly tart lemons, wheaty malt, and typical hefe flavors.

damzz (497) - Massachusetts, USA - AUG 19, 2012
Head is thick dissipating to dancing lacing in a sanitized glass - yeah, it looks like dancers and no, I’m not drunk. Color is hazy wheat burnished gold. Nose is fresh citrus. Palate is cirtus with the lacto bite with upfront wheat mildness and a refreshing wheat light/medium body. Recalling that Napolean’s troops called this Berlin champagne or something similar, I can understand that in this version which has an ABV of 7.5 % closer to champagne than the standard 3%. As so few beers do, it has a strong nose, which I appreciate. 2012 vintage brew in a 25.4 oz bottle. Enjoy!