overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 85   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36/5   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Named for the stone upon which Scottish kings were crowned, our Scoth Ale represents a tradition of brewing excellence. You will enjoy a hint of caramel sweetness, a well-rounded flavor, and superior drinkability.

TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 12, 2004
I can tell I was drunk when I got to this one. My quote stated "Scotch beer. Smells like scotch, taste like people".

JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 22, 2004
Clear dark ruby/whiskey color, off-white creamy lasting ring around the glass. Coffee/caramel aroma. Sweet coffee liquor taste with some toffee and a fruity sourness. Not bad, but I don’t like the seemingly awkward sourness.

jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 1, 2004
Hard to choose between the Scone or the Black Earth as the Dane’s best beer on the many cold winter nights. The malt and alcohol hits you in the nose right off the bat. Nice deep mahogany/garnet brown. Big malty sweetness balanaced by alcohol bite. A Heath Bar in a glass. Highly quaffable.

MIBRomeo (2570) - Wisconsin, USA - APR 24, 2004
Good beer not as good as the black earth porter though... light chocolate flavor w/ a touch of bitter hoppy flavor.. mild flavor for a dark beer.. solid carbonation.

muzzlehatch (4969) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Sweet smoked fruitwood nose, malty and tangy, rather light for a scotch ale, but exceptionally drinkable.

tomxcs (321) - California, USA - DEC 2, 2003
I thought this beer was pretty weak, although drinking it in at the Great Dane made it better. Light flavor for a scotch ale. Went down well. Overall, it was OK.

Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 28, 2003
This beer had a purple color and very little head. Both smelled and tasted like grape soda, only smokier. Aftertaste was acidic and bitter. Some of the people I was with remarked on how much they enjoy this beer, but I thought it was awful.

steview (1037) - Petaluma, California, USA - OCT 25, 2003
really good. roasted, caramel, nutty, sweet. light flavor, but in the good sense that it's not over-the-top.

howie (549) - DeForest, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 7, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 12, 2004 A big session beer? Brown color, grainy aromas. Roasty, nutty, caramel sweetness. Lots of flavors masks what seems to be a fairly high abv.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JUL 20, 2003
Ordered the IPA but they had unfortunately run out. 2nd straight visit that this happened. Not being from Madison, this was of course a disappointment. I then ordered the ESB, but what I got was warm, flat and sour. I was told that it was a cask beer and that most people don't like it. I have a hard time believing it was supposed to be that way. Anyway, I do have positive things to say about Great Dane. Great place and definitely above average beer. Stone of Scone started off poorly with a stale, not pleasant aroma. Red body with head almost fully diminished. Flavor is rich with a relatively high alcohol presence. Despite the aesthetic shortcomings, a very solid and tasty brew.