overall

RATINGS: 2563   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.96/5   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Hoppier, maltier and with more alcohol than a standard IPA, Hercules Double IPA definitely is not for the faint of heart. Hercules Double IPA is, however, an elixir fit for the gods. A brash but creamy wonder, Hercules pours a deep orange-coppery color, forming substantial lace in the glass. Hercules Double IPA delivers a huge amount of piney, floral, and citrusy hop aroma and flavor from start to finish. A hefty backbone of nutty, toffee-like malt character balances Herculesí aggressive, punchy hop profile. 85 International Bittering Units (IBUs).

Dillen (3) - Chicgo, Illinois, USA - MAR 22, 2005 does not count
intense spruce and grapefruity notes in the aroma, Taste of pine resins well blended malts to offset the heat of 9.9

skaughty (652) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAR 15, 2005
Welcome to Georgia big boy! I love when I can open something Iíve been saving because I fear it would be hard to get another bottle
This is not your typical crisp refreshing IIPA. That isnít a putdown. This is a complex, nutty, malty treat that has an amazing thickness to it. The aroma is muted by the alcohol sizzle, but the finish is so dense the alcohol is long gone by then. The caramel and resin really lean this towards the fringes of a barleywine. (in the same way Sierra Nevada Celebration might).
I admire this creation more than I like it.

WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 12, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2006 I really did not like this beer. I am a fan of overly hopped high alcohol brews, especially from DogFish, but the alcohol was the most prominent flavor, followed by some cherry bubblegum off notes. I would not driink this, perhaps the only IPA I have ever said that about. // I retried this today and served it to a team of beer executives from South America. We all poured ours out. Again, still the only IPA I consider undrinkable. In fact, I have to drop the the overall rating ... this is just not a well made or interesting beer.

rickgordon (3874) - GŲteborg, SWEDEN - MAR 12, 2005
Bottled. Deep orange colour. Big flowery, pine nose. Aggressive hop bite from start to end. Still good balance of hops and malt. Mandarin notes. Burning alcohol touch. Salty all along, that lasts minutes after, in its hop bitterness. This is more-ish.

Tejas (1006) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 11, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2005 Pretty & really aromatic at the same time. This is gonna be a big beer. Alcohol is hidden well. Tons of grapefruit flavors. Iíd drink it again but it wouldnít be the first IIPA I reach for. You can easily tell itís Titanís big brother.

BCAR (223) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - MAR 9, 2005
Hazy orange frothy pour. Beautiful aromatic deep pine nose. Start to almost finish a great beer. Light caramel malt flavor with excellent fruity, floral body. Right amount of alcohol profile. Finish is a little on the bitter side for me, but not overwhelming.

entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 5, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2006 This beer has an aroma of pineapple upside down cake and straightforward bitter citrus twang all the way down. Caramel color with not much head. This is a great beer whcih upon first tasting didnít impress as much as some of the other big name I2PAís but in months past I reach for this early and often making it one of my very favorite brews.

bb (9241) - Alamo, California, USA - MAR 3, 2005
Bottle. Amber color with a big off-white head. Big hoppy aroma of mostly grapefruit. Grapefruit and resin flavors with a good malt backing and some spiciness. Thick and full bodied. I love the style, but I donít think this is better than many of the others out there.

TheBeerGod (6208) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - MAR 2, 2005
Bottle. Pours a rusted amber with a thick frothy head. Nice lacing on this one! Aroma is hop bliss! Big pine cones, floral and earthy hops and light citrus. Taste is also big hops but has a rich malt sweetness balancing this nicely. The bitterness is contained on this. Pine needles, maple syrup, light caramel, and citrus fruits. Body is smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation and bitterness. Bit oily in spots as well. Finishes with more hoppiness, light caramel, pine needles, and bigger citrus fruits.

cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 27, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 25, 2005 I have to say I think this is the only perfect score I have ever given. This beer is amazing. Itís right there with dreadnaught as the best beer you can buy. The beer has a nice caramel/amber hue. The smell is of grapefruit (dry hopped!) the malt is nice and strong, then the bittering hops take over and finially the finishing hops add a wonderful citrus finish. Overall amazing beer.