overall
Brewed by Great Lakes Brewery (Ontario)
Style: American Pale Ale
Etobicoke, Canada

RATINGS: 241   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%
The Devil Made Me Brew It! Brewed for 66.6 minutes with 666kg of malt and 6.6kg of hops, Devil’s Pale Ale is a robust ale weighing in at 6.6% alcohol (notice a theme yet?). Darker than traditional pale ales, Devil’s Pale Ale has an unmistakable hoppiness both in aroma and taste, balanced by a selection of 6 choice malts.

VT's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
VT (2527) - Quebec City, Quebec, - NOV 18, 2012
473 ml can. Pours a clear reddish brown with a very long-lasting pale beige head. Smell is hops, citrus. Taste is caramel, malt, roasted hazelnut. Finish is earthy, citrusy. Light body, watery mouthfeel. Average carbonation. Somewhat disappointing, maybe was it canned 6.66 years ago?

jason_bassford (2) - Burlington, CANADA - DEC 2, 2017 does not count
Apparently, I've been living under a rock and only just emerged. This has been around for quite a while now, but I guess I haven't had it offered on tap before—let alone cask. (Nor have I picked it up at the LCBO, if I've seen it there.)

I just had it for the first time, and it kind of blew my mind. It's a combination of things I didn't expect. At the start of every sip, I thought, "No, I don't think I like ...," and by the time I was done, I was thinking, "Oh, this is great!"

It's a unique, addictive mix of different styles. If I closed my eyes, I would describe it as an aggressively hopped English ESB (which is a contradiction) that leans more to its ale side in hindsight. (By the way, this beer is not at all pale. I've been told that this darker colour is typical of so-called pale ales in England—even if not here.)

It starts off as if it's going to be one of those "hop bomb" beers (too common among the widely diverse IPAs and pale ales in North America) that sacrifices flavour purely for dramatic effect. But as it's on your tongue, it quickly morphs and mellows out into an example of an English ale. As such, there is no single point in time during which you can taste this beer as a whole. You simply have to put up with its chameleon character.

I'm not too fond of how it starts off, but I very much like how it ends. It was unique in my experience in that I always started off thinking I disliked it, but ended up thinking it was great. Perhaps it's similar to a massage—the pain during treatment is something you have to put up with in order to feel good afterwards.

Itzjerm (3136) - Taft, Tennessee, USA - JAN 24, 2017
One of the best brews from this location. Lots and lots of malt flavor and hop bite. Result is a nice westcoast style IPA like beer with more malt. Nice head.

ciocanelu (3013) - Timisoara, ROMANIA - JAN 3, 2017
Murky dark amber color with tan head. Aroma starts with biscuits and some spicy bread. Taste starts quite hoppy with earthy notes, some toasted malt on the finish with light bitterness. Medium body, soft carbonation. Overall it’s a quite interesting pale ale but I don’t really get any whiskey.

ogivlado (8167) - Zagreb, CROATIA - JAN 25, 2016
Canned 473ml. -courtesy of and shared with Domagoj from Pivoteka. Out of BBE date for who knows how long because of unreadable print. Dark amber coloured, medium sized tan head, malt and caramel in the nose. Malt and caramel dominates in taste as well with notes of apples and touch of wood. Rather sweet finish. Not the freshest taste here but it could be even worse.

FROTHINGSLOSH (8176) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 3, 2015
Sampled from a 473 ml can this beer poured a dark brown color with tan highlights and a huge creamy beige head that lingered forever and left excellent lacing. The aroma was gritty floral and fruity hops. The flavor was bitter, toasty, malty and had a moderate floral hop presence. Medium length hoppy finish. Medium body. Ok.

Franckg (1880) - Trois-Rivières, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 6, 2015
Well hopped. Hint of caramelized malt. Taste of nuts. Looks like a brown ipa.

ceason (30) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - APR 27, 2015
Pours a very deep amber with a medium off-white head. Aromas of caramel malt and light hops. Tastes quite malty with a light bitter finish. Some alcohol in the finish as well. Medium bodied.

yourilevesque (1865) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 17, 2015
Magnifique bière à la teinte mi-ambrée, mi-rubis surmontée d’un fier collet de mousse blanc cassé dessinant de jolies dentelles sur les parois du verre. Le nez est un habile mélange de houblons et de noisettes torréfiées. Nez affirmé et chaleureux. En bouche, c’est plutôt mince par contre. Le liquide manque de corps. C’est aqueux et houblonné. On aurait souhaité une plus grande densité. Le nez par ailleurs nous annonçait un malt dominant qui est en fait très timide, à l’instar du houblon qui n’ajoute rien de plus qu’une légère amertume bien quelconque. Je n’aime pas employer cette expression, mais cette bière est un gros pétard mouillé: magnifique, olfactive, mais ça s’arrête à peu près là.

ametras (1751) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 14, 2015
473ml can. Dark mahogany with a frothy off-white head. Flavors are toasted / roasted cereals, citrus, resinous hops, grass and toffee with earthy and nutty notes. Medium body, moderate carbonation, smooth texture.

pictoman (1232) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 16, 2015
Poured from 473mL can. Mahogany brown with off white beige head. Citrus and grassy hops with subtle apple. Quite a dry finish.