overall
RATINGS: 1259   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
An assertively hopped American Pale Ale with citrusy and piney Cascade hops. Subtle malt flavors balance the hop profile and provide a satisfying dry finish.

cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 14, 2003
I have to admit that I am somewhat biased on this beer. I drove from Rochester to Cleveland to get a 1/6 bbl for my kegerator. It is an excellent beer that most people love. It is one of those beers that really turns heads. It has nice full head with perfectly balanced taste. Very good hoppy taste and strong for an APA. Overall excellent. I had this on tap at my house.

aaronh (201) - McMurray, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 27, 2003
This is a wonderful ale. It has a deep copper color with a nice full head that dissipates slowly. A very well balanced hop flavor with a touch of maltiness to round it out and a nosefull of flower aroma.

thehoff (598) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - SEP 22, 2003
This is the only of the Great Lakes beers I have had and I didn't really care for it that much. For a pale ale it is what it is but OK. A little hoppy.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - SEP 17, 2003
This fantastic APA was acquired in trade with jgb9348, a cool ass gent! A large rocky off white head, rests atop a copper colored APA. Serenity within the glass; and then out of know where a carbonated bubble drifts toward the top. Where was it hiding, between the molecules of the H20? The aroma is slightly metallic, but citric. This is a general impression that I deduce whenever large amounts of cascade hops are used, I don’t know why. The flavor is tremendous! Citrusy orange zest, oily but also dry and snappish…. Some pine or spruce presence, a morsel of nutty malt…. Very satisfying and enjoyable, This beer would rule supreme on draft but something seems a bit off balance here in the bottle. Burning River is a must try!

DrnkMcDermott (3137) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - SEP 16, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2005 Re-rated from draft at GLBC, Cleveland. Similar in color to their IPA, but less hoppy (duh). Instead a distinct hop, I get more a solid "bitterness." Nicely balanced to the malts.
Original rating, 9/16/03. Score: 3.9. Draft. Has a big grapefruity smell and taste, almost like a wheat beer. The hoppy taste subtly changes as my glass warms up, to a more bitter aspect like an IPA. Excellent appearance and head for this style. I sampled this at a homebrew party among a sea of Oktoberfest beers, so this is a refreshing and welcome change of pace.

Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - SEP 1, 2003
This is available everywhere here in cleveland, and I am glad of it. Copper color, with a fresh hop aroma. The taste is hoppy and thick with a nice malt backbone to balance it out. An excellent pale ale in my book.

smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - AUG 27, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2006 Bottle: a nice crisp hop aroma greets you from this brew. Slightly cloudy and golden in color with an off-white head. Nicely hopped, but not over-the-top like some (although I love them, too). I enjoy the malt. A very nice Pale Ale.

Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - AUG 26, 2003
Caramel color with nice fruity hoppy aroma.Caramel malty flavor is strong with a nice hoppy feel in the mouth.The finish has a nice bitterness. A very good Pale Ale.

BCAR (223) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - AUG 19, 2003
Beautiful golden/caramel color. Nice, hoppy signature smell. Dry on the tongue and a slightly bitter finish. Very nice Pale Ale. I would definitely get this again.

Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - AUG 19, 2003
Very hoppy. Right up there with the best of beers. The commercial description says it all.