overall
RATINGS: 1291   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
An assertively hopped American Pale Ale with citrusy and piney Cascade hops. Subtle malt flavors balance the hop profile and provide a satisfying dry finish.

hopscotch (11077) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - DEC 22, 2002
The aroma consists of grapefruit and sweet clover honey with smaller notes of caramel and perfume. The flavor is sweet and malty up front with bursts of caramel and red wine... also, a fruit I can’t identify. It’s in there, but after ten minutes, I gave up trying to figure out which fruit it is. Maybe something I’ve never tried, such as a Paw Paw. Lightly bitter and acetic on the backside with a whisper of red (not purple) grapes. Sparkling clear copper hue. Small, frothy, khaki-colored head. Mostly, but not fully diminishing... much like my several thousand shares of WorldCom stock. Medium-bodied with light carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. Lengthy, tangy, mostly dry finish with a slight straw-like flavor at the far end. This beer was very difficult for me to describe, aroma and flavor-wise. Interestingly and creatively hopped.

hayden1215 (319) - Ohio, USA - DEC 21, 2002
Good beer, Dosen’t quite have the finish the other Great Lakes brews have

MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2002
This is a rerate. I had a bad experience with the bottle... I tried it on tap and it is Amazing! Nice and hoppy. Has a nice head and a super aroma, Floural and Fruity.

zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - DEC 13, 2002
Good on tap. Foamy, thick head. Excellent taste of citrus (grapefruit?) and hops. This is especially pleasing to me, as most pale ales have too much hop bite for me.

urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - DEC 12, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2003 This is my new favorite pale ale. Bursting complex hop aroma. Citric hop flavor frames awesome toasty malt, which has a lot to it. A ton of orange, pear and apricot flavor. This is superb.

Brodie (540) - Boone, North Carolina, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Maybe my tastes are altered from living on the west coast, but I would not describe this beer as being ’assertively hopped’. Pleasant hop aroma and flavor, with just enough malt to give balance. Just didn’t have the pungent cascade hop aroma and flavor I expect from an APA. Don’t get me wrong, though, it’s definitely a good beer.

DEbeer (192) - West Virginia, USA - DEC 2, 2002
I like this beer. The finish is a lot like one of my favorites, WV Appalachian Ale.

HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 30, 2002
This beer exhibits a nice, but restrained PNW hop aroma. The carbonation is very lively, perhaps, a tad bit too much. The palate is fairly balanced, but the finish is definitely hop accented. Overall, BRPA is very enjoyable and well built.

elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - NOV 29, 2002
Medium cloudy amber color. Citrus/hops not over done, fairly well balanced. Result is somewhat unique and enjoyable.

Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2002
On tap: Beautiful amber color and a good head. Aroma was faint, but a bar isn’t exactly the best place to judge aroma. Hop bitterness balanced out with a lemon/grapefruit taste. Smooth and dry. Very enjoyable. Its a damn shame I can’t get these beers here.