overall

RATINGS: 1758   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Complex, roasty aroma with a bittersweet, chocolate-coffee taste and a bold hop presence.

TheShepherds' rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheShepherds (57) - chapel hill, North Carolina, USA - MAY 31, 2013
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2013 Not too much aroma. Great first couple of sips. But gets more an more "hoppy" the more you drink. Not big hoppy fans, so that doesn’t work for us.

Bullit (4719) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 9, 2017
Bottle from Consumer Beverages. Dark brown, beige head. Roasty and fruity, no coffee nor chocolate. Slight bitterness. A bit light bodied.

Subliminal64 (230) - London, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 25, 2017
Where Purchased: 347ml bottle part of a Great Lakes mixer pack at Meijer
Consumed: from a pilsner glass
Aroma: Smells malty with a fairly heavy sour note. Not much else there.
Appearance : filtered dark brown with lots of head that last to the last drop. Excellent lacing.
Taste: very smooth, malty, slightly sweet and a hint of bitterness.
Palate : medium to heavy body. Slight bitter aftertaste. Good carbonation.
Overall: very well balanced and easy drinking. Other then the smell this is a near perfect example of the style. I was glad to try and will buy again. MB. The Beer "Bear"on.

prongs100 (1) - - NOV 24, 2017 does not count
Good cccccccccccccccccccc cccccccccccccccccc cccccccc via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AjHtoma (13) - - NOV 21, 2017
Bottle. Rich, bitter, with hints of coffee. Good qualf. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

piraat83 (24) - Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA - NOV 19, 2017
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2017 Pours an amber brown with a thick white head. A little more hoppy tasting than a typical porter. Crisp but with a coffee taste. A really nice example of a classic porter.

Bill Becker (1905) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 31, 2017
From Nov 2007

I got this in a trade with autumnaldave. Thanks Dave!

This pours from 12oz bottle(best by 2/11/08) a clear dark brown with reddish hues and a small 1 finger head of foam that recedes to a fine broken layer after some time but the good lacing lasts even longer. Very appealing to look at in my glass.

The smell is of chocolate, roasted malt, and a touch of hops.

The taste is big roasted and caramel malt and chocolate notes with a nice thick mouthfeel and light carbonation. More sips in and there's a mild infusion of hop bitterness that takes the edge off the sweetness a bit and it does a nice job of it. Wonderful bitterish aftertaste going on here. Wow. Tasty as heck but so damn smooth drinking and for me, something I'd consider quite sessionable. I can't get over how nice the chocolate is in this Porter and how well all the flavours work together. I just found my new favourite example of the style, me thinks. This is one that certainly deserves to be sought out! Thanks again, Dave!!

Itzjerm (3134) - Taft, Tennessee, USA - OCT 30, 2017
A nice toasty porter. Sweet and smokey all at the same time. Has a balm e. Light watery finish. Lasting head. By far best offering. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

47574xeCD (1277) - Coventry, Warwickshire, ENGLAND - OCT 26, 2017
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2017 12oz bottle at Welsh man Inn Chagrin Falls Ohio. Poured jet black with beige head. Coffee dark chocolate roasted malts and barley. Excellent rich porter.

higgsbison (270) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2017
A wonderful Porter. Smooth, medium bodied, Nice complexity. Perfectly balanced bitter sweetness. Soft carbonation. Notes of strong black coffee and unsweetened cocoa. I love this beer. This time it was more difficult to drink too intense and bitter. I did have it rated 4.6 But I am going to knock it down to 4.0 until trying again Right now I am drinking a Fullers London Porter and I notice the Edmund Fitzgerald is very similar it just amps up all the characters of fullers I've had this a number of times now. I love this beer. I notice I never mentioned it is better as it warms up a bit, It really Mellows and smooths out. Bumped it back up to a 4.5 July 2017. Yum August 2017 this has been my go to beer lately ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

beern (220) - Alabama, USA - JUL 28, 2017
Pours jet black and opaque with a tan head with good retention. Tastes of oak, malt and coffee. It’s medium bodied bodied with moderate to lively carbonation.