Great Lakes Locktender Lager

overall
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 86   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.07/5   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Golden Munich helles lager with a mild hop profile and slightly malty flavor.

Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JUN 15, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2004 A delicious Helles - superbly malted, with incredible crisp hopping, hay juice + "skunk" - I love this! Big big tettnager and huge pale malt deliciousness. Exactly as a great Helles should be.

humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - SEP 12, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2004 Big frothy head atop a golden-orange hue. The aroma is spicy pine hops and sharp notes. Sweet initial flavor and low carbonation with floral hops bringing up the rear, but not really kicking it in the ass. I’ve never tended a lock, but I can imagine that after a long day of swatting mosquitoes along the Erie Canal, a smooth, malty, thirst-quenching brew like this would sit well in the lock that is my stomach.

cazort (565) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 12, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2007 I find this beer to be extremely smooth and still have a rich flavour of both malt and hops. It is not as bitter as the other Great Lakes beers, and makes an excellent choice when you want to buy a good beer for guests whose tastes you are unsure of. I actually like this one a lot better than the Dortmunder gold, which is supposedly a similar style. This beer is more mellow, but I also think it is richer and more complex.

brummbar (3) - Virginia, USA - OCT 21, 2005 does not count
It’s a great example of a Munich Helles. I’m not sure if I like it better than Hacker Pschorr’s fine Edel-Hell, but they are close. one of my favorite styles of beer. not a "light beer" at all but a specialty lager with lawnmower malt flavors and nice fresh tettanger hop flavors. Superb summer lager.

TheBeerGenius (154) - Pittsburgh, PA, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 9, 2004
Very good beer here. A nice light lager but still has a lot of taste. Goes down smooth as well and doesn't have that strong of an aftertaste.

erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUN 8, 2002
I think too many of us are rating on our taste alone and not on how the beer represents a style. As far as I'm concerned this beer does a great job as a helles lager. Although its not my favorite style I still have to rate it well on its merits as a light bodied slightly hoppy lager.

dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 21, 2002
Clear refreshing brew. very crisp too. a liitle light for me but i'm more into porters and stouts. Slighty hopped. I could pound these down on a hot summer day but i wouldn't go out of my way to.

Aggie80 (827) - Michigan, USA - MAY 6, 2003
Nice white head that didn't last long, good lace. Golden color with a few bubbles. Smooth with a hoppy after taste.

mikeyj80 (22) - USA - JAN 8, 2003
I found this a very interesting beer to drink, a very unique flavor. Maybe not the best out there, but certainly worth trying.

redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - JAN 6, 2004
Clear gold, nicely carbonated, medium light white head. Slight pepper bread aroma and taste. Crisp, clean, and refreshing.