overall
RATINGS: 942   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Often referred to as Burning River Pale Ale’s big brother, this stock ale is remarkably balanced for such a highly hopped beer. A rich deep blood red color makes this beer scary enough to be served every Halloween and a few other times of the year.

gws57 (1276) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - OCT 16, 2006
Got this one bottled at the Binny’s Oktoberfest in St. Charles, Illinois. Reddish amber pour with a tan head, citrusy nose with hops and roses, citrus throughout, some carmel and malt. Really good.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 15, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 3, 2007 The label describes this beer as "highly hopped and rich with flavor, yet remarkably balanced from start to finish," and I agree. This red ale reminds me of Founder’s Red Rye (of which, I am a big fan). It is an extremely nice balance of significant hop presence, light citrus notes, and moderate maltiness. It is a substantial (and substantially pleasant!) beer. I’m guessing I would probably not want to drink more than three at a sitting...and it’s sold in a four pack, so I’m guessing I’m not alone in that opinion. The Great Lakes Brewing website says Nosferatu is only available September-October. It seems like I really only review beers I enjoy on this site, and consequently end-up recommending everything. Nosferatu deserves a stronger endorsement than that; I’ll definitely be purchasing this beer again before Halloween.

Arnie (274) - Chicagoland, IL, Illinois, USA - OCT 15, 2006
Sample from a bottle at Binny’s "Fall Festival of BEERS." Hoppy nose; burnt reddish-brown color; light, thin head. Surprisingly strong, hoppy flavor. This is a unique beer, not over-complex, but flavorful and drinkable.

hershiser2 (3236) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - OCT 13, 2006
Paid $8.99 for a 4-pack. I left Cleveland right before this stuff started to be bottled. So beer goal #1 on my first trip home was to seek this one out. Turned out to be quite an easy task. Anyway, popping the cap now. Pours a deep reddish brown, clear, with a small tan head. Heavily hopped, notes of thick pine, grapefruit, and passionfruit. Flavors of passionfruit, grapefruit, hearty pine, and other hops... hops all over the place, nearing the end especially before finishing with a light malt. Very floral, very bitter. Worth seeking this one out, for sure.

wxman (1819) - O’Fallon, Illinois, USA - OCT 9, 2006
Pours a clear brownish red color with a light brown head that stays to coat the glass. Believe it or not, it starts off with a pleasant tomato juice aroma. The taste comes through as coffee and cocoa with a crisp citrus hoppiness. This is quite good, but not as foreboding as the name implies. However, if Avery marketed a beer with this name I’d be afraid.

porterhouse (1580) - Boothbay, Maine, USA - OCT 9, 2006
(Bottle (best by 11/23/06) via trade with OhioDad, thanks Scott!) A tasty, hoppy treat...Pours clear reddish burnt orange with about 1/2 finger of biege head that recedes to a thin cap. Aroma of sweet and piney hops. Mouthfeel smooth, actually a little light and thin (but it’s a "quality" thin). A touch syrupy. Flavor is a mellow sweet piney-ness. Nothing sharp. Finishes a little bitter. Reminds me of a big IPA but yet unique. Something about these hops is different. Very easy to drink. Alcohol well-hidden.

hellomynameis (876) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - OCT 8, 2006
When drinking this, I just couldn’t figure out what the heck style it was. The colour was mostly red, maybe a bit of amber. There was a medium off white head that formed and dissappeared. the aroma was primarily citrus. the taste wasn’t the great, in my opinion. Heavy handed citrus and resin flavour with an odd malt flavour that seemed to contain a urnt caramel like flavour. This followed up by a dry and slightly alcohol like finish. I think the flavours could have been great, I just don’t think it was put together well.

zebracakes (1339) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 3, 2006
Bottle. Pours red amber with off white head. Aroma is citrus, hops and floral. Flavor is citrus, floral, hops, caramel, malt.

biermensch (64) - USA - OCT 1, 2006
Bottle, from a Maudite glass. Great ruby appearance. Could use a litle more carbonation. Tastes of malt and fruit, nicely balanced with hops, warming alcohol. Different but delicious, by far my favorite Great Lakes brew.

beernightscout (37) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 1, 2006
One of my favorite beers of all time. It’s not quite blood red, but light passing through it is red on my hands. Looks filtered. Smells great if one-note, mostly citrusy hops. It tastes sharp up front, then I get strawberries (a first for a non-fruit beer), citrus, sweet malt, finishes long and sugary sweet. Medium low carbonation. You don’t reaaly taste the alcohol, but you certainly feel it. Got a case of it at the brewery, but you can find it in Chicago now, where it is around $11 a four pack. It’s best at the brewery, where they give you a full pint of it, but that also means this beer has kicked my ass across Cleveland a couple of times, so know you are warned.