overall
RATINGS: 936   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Often referred to as Burning River Pale Ale’s big brother, this stock ale is remarkably balanced for such a highly hopped beer. A rich deep blood red color makes this beer scary enough to be served every Halloween and a few other times of the year.

sitzds (318) - - SEP 29, 2013
Bottle pour. Interesting clear orange/brown color with a head that leaves nice lacing. Aroma has strong caramel and biscuit notes with citrus hop as well. Sweet nutty flavors up front with earthy, resinous, and caramel elements. Palate includes creamy textures, with a little fizz and a medium body.

Doghair (312) - Illinois, USA - AUG 21, 2012
Pours a very nice red color with a short head. Dissipates to a film and lacing. The smell is fruity hop with a sweet malty background. The taste is also fruity hop with a nice balance of malt. Mildly bitter finish. This is a great beer. Well balanced and very easy to drink.

jeffwilliams11 (310) - hooterville, Michigan, USA - JUN 13, 2008
pours fizzy red with little head. very hoppy, not at all what i expected. very drinkable, hides the 8% very well.

1010 (309) - Dublin, Ohio, USA - OCT 10, 2008
Pours amber with no head. Taste of fruity hops. Ready a great beer and is drinkable dispite the high ABV Pint at Old Bag of Nails Pub in Worthington, OH

Homebrewerguy (306) - Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 13, 2007
Very citrusy aroma and flavor, somewhat overwhelms the malt flavor from start to finish, a hophead’s delight as a session beer but just too bitter for a lot of them for me.

keoki182 (305) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 20, 2008
Strong, robust, and very hoppy. A nice bitterness runs through this ale and really paired well with an inferno chicken sandwich at Midtown Pub in Madison. Easy to quaff, this one was quite a masterpiece.

invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 18, 2004
Pours a nice and deep amber color, small white head. Filtered and very clear. Smells of hops citrus. Tastes hoppy but very balance, especially for 8%. The only flaw I could find is that it comes in four packs instead of six.

pauliefrog99 (302) - FLINT, Michigan, USA - JAN 14, 2005
Poured a reddish amber with small tan head. Sweet malty aroma with some hop smell. Nice hoopy caramel malt flavor with an alcohol taste.

fuzzcro (295) - Illinois, USA - OCT 20, 2016
UPDATED: OCT 21, 2016 This brew has a luscious aroma and it pours thick. Rich amber red in color. Carbonation level is enough to present a nice head and low enough to not take away from the drink enjoyment with interference. Overall this brew didn’t offer me what I had expected. All the way up to the moment I got it into my mouth I was ready for incredible. I’m afraid my taste was off so I hope to be re-rating this one and improving at the least, my overall score. 10/21/16 had another bottle and it did taste better to me. Still not the best especially for an Imperial Red Ale but better than I initially found it to be.

bender (293) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - NOV 12, 2002
STRONG stuff. Went well with the food that night. ........................