overall
RATINGS: 71   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 11   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
In honor of the huckleberries that grow wild throughout the Flathead Valley, we unveiled this summer brew in the spring of 1996. A combination of 75% Western pale malted barley, 25% malted wheat, Cascade hops and wild huckleberry juice from the Flathead Valley, were used to create this highly drinkable, thirst-quenching lager. A delightfully unique fruit beer, this pale summer brew combines the crisp, dry refreshment of a light lager with a subtle, tart hint of huckleberries that is neither sweet nor overpowering.

natejgood (524) - Bozeman, Montana, USA - AUG 25, 2014
Pours a hazy very light golden color with a minimal white head. Aroma of berries, wheat and yeast. Decent wheat base with sweet berries on the nose, but the berry flavor disappears quickly leaving mostly a fairly fuzzy wheat beer behind. Not super smooth to drink either. It may sound like I’m bashing this beer, but it’s not entirely unpleasant to drink. Not as refined as some of the blueberry beers they brew on the east coast (particularly in Maine) but its not a bad summer berry beer if that’s what your looking for. If I could change one thing about this beer I’d like it to be a bit smoother in the mouth.

lightbias (453) - USA - AUG 25, 2014
Bottle purchased at Glacier Park Trading Company, poured light lemon with a fizzly, thin white head. No lacing at all, very wet, soft foam. The aroma is a subtle berry under a heavy malt curtain. This could have more of the fruit coming through; I enjoyed the flavor at first, but yeast comes in like a bulldozer and wipes out the berry accents. I really enjoyed them up front and am missing them entirely the further I get into the glass. Although I don’t believe that this is a bad wheat lager, I don’t believe it’s a very good fruit beer. For a hot summer day with a group of friends hanging at the river, this would be a good choice. For a taster or a nice meal, I would pass.

Prufrockstar (2132) - Moscow, Idaho, USA - AUG 17, 2014
Bottle from the Rising Sun general store in Glacier Nat’l Park, but I didn’t get to drinking it until just now in our hotel room in Great Falls. Feel like I gotta drink it before I leave the state. Pours pale gold with offwhite head. Aroma of wheat and huckleberry juice. Taste is very much the same. Wheat beer mixed with huckleberries. Not overly sweet, though, and finish is of lightly toasted wheat and gentle bitterness. Light body, lively carbonation. Thirst-quenching. Overall: Can’t say I’d order this often, but under the hot Montana sun it makes a compelling case.

cmacklin (1273) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - MAY 21, 2014
12 oz bottle. Light hazy golden colour with thin white head. Mild berry aroma. Sweet, fruity flavour, mild wheat with a slight bitterness. Light body, watery texture and soft carbonation.

scottw86 (1178) - Maryland, USA - SEP 1, 2013
I was lucky enough to get this on draft in Montana! Poured a pale yellow color with a thin off-white head. Lots of berry in the aroma. Taste is mostly of berries, but it is not overwhelming. It is also not too sweet or syrupy, the balance is good. Some hops help give the finish some crispness. Overall very refreshing.

Iphonephan (7192) - Jackson Hole/McLean, Virginia, USA - JUL 3, 2013
From a 12 ix bottle dhared at the beartooth cafe in cooke city mt. Pours a hazy pale lemon with a white head. Huckleberry dominates the nose. Flavors if blueberry pancakes. Lively mouthfeel with a clean finish.

beernovice39 (3270) - Idaho, USA - JAN 15, 2013
On tap. Hazy golden, white top. Scent is sweet berries. Taste is berries, malt and berries.

BelgianBeerGal (4137) - Panama City, Florida, USA - OCT 1, 2012
Draft at Hops for dinner and also in Whitefish. I guess huckleberries are pretty volatile because I got very faint fruit notes here. Either that or the wheat just completely dominated the berries. Nice but wanted more fruit.

bytemesis (8970) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - AUG 24, 2012
Bottle. Pours hazy pale yellow with a medium white head and some lacing. Aroma is huckleberry and wheat. Flavor is medium sweet huckleberry, wheat and grainy notes.

jake65 (3983) - Meridian, Idaho, USA - APR 26, 2012
Bottle: Dusty gold pour with a thin creamy white head. Bubbly. Aroma is wheat, floral, and light huckleberry. Flavor is mild lager malt, huckleberry, and finished with wheat. Crisp. Really a pretty clean taste. More wheat than fruit.