overall
RATINGS: 71   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 11   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
In honor of the huckleberries that grow wild throughout the Flathead Valley, we unveiled this summer brew in the spring of 1996. A combination of 75% Western pale malted barley, 25% malted wheat, Cascade hops and wild huckleberry juice from the Flathead Valley, were used to create this highly drinkable, thirst-quenching lager. A delightfully unique fruit beer, this pale summer brew combines the crisp, dry refreshment of a light lager with a subtle, tart hint of huckleberries that is neither sweet nor overpowering.

natejgood (527) - Bozeman, Montana, USA - AUG 25, 2014
Pours a hazy very light golden color with a minimal white head. Aroma of berries, wheat and yeast. Decent wheat base with sweet berries on the nose, but the berry flavor disappears quickly leaving mostly a fairly fuzzy wheat beer behind. Not super smooth to drink either. It may sound like I’m bashing this beer, but it’s not entirely unpleasant to drink. Not as refined as some of the blueberry beers they brew on the east coast (particularly in Maine) but its not a bad summer berry beer if that’s what your looking for. If I could change one thing about this beer I’d like it to be a bit smoother in the mouth.

biggmike (482) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - JUN 8, 2008
This poured a yellow/orange color that was murky with a nice white head that dissipated rather quickly. The aroma and flavor are both dominated by the fruitiness of the huckleberry juice. Very smooth and thirst quenching. Nothing spectacular, nor offensive.

lightbias (455) - USA - AUG 25, 2014
Bottle purchased at Glacier Park Trading Company, poured light lemon with a fizzly, thin white head. No lacing at all, very wet, soft foam. The aroma is a subtle berry under a heavy malt curtain. This could have more of the fruit coming through; I enjoyed the flavor at first, but yeast comes in like a bulldozer and wipes out the berry accents. I really enjoyed them up front and am missing them entirely the further I get into the glass. Although I don’t believe that this is a bad wheat lager, I don’t believe it’s a very good fruit beer. For a hot summer day with a group of friends hanging at the river, this would be a good choice. For a taster or a nice meal, I would pass.

mybrainhurts (400) - North Dakota, USA - SEP 29, 2006
This nameless mystery bottle (there is NO label) came to me at my local liqour store’s "bottle bin" section. I assume this is the Huckleberry from the obvious berry and hefe aroma. Nice looking cloudy pour and fruity flavors. A bit to sweet and not as tart as I would have liked to see. Not bad for a buck ten a bottle.

AdamGott (387) - Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA - AUG 18, 2009
I love the fresh huckleberry aroma that pours off of this beer! Pours a cloudy strawish yellow. Nice fruit/beer ratio, nearly perfect and I have always thought that huckleberries are just about the best fruit that can be paired with a wheat beer.

dekester1 (370) - Town of Maple Creek, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 5, 2010
Poured a hazy gold with a nice tight head that remained throughout. Aroma showed malt with a hint of berry fruit. The taste began with a fruity berry opening, moved to malt, and finished off with mild hops. Mouthfeel was nice and smooth. Overall, a nice, smooth fruity wheat beer. Too bad I can not get any more in WI.

Gregory (357) - Pullman, Washington, USA - AUG 7, 2002
I love huckleberries. I love beer. I normally think any kind of fruit and beer should be kept seperate. This is perhaps the best fruit beer I've ever had. It's still not that great but it's something that I could have on occasion. The huckleberries are very light and do not overpower as most fruit beers do. I would even drink it again.

Merc (313) - Pullman, Washington, USA - AUG 7, 2002
A fruit beer for people who do not like fruit beers. Not a girlie beer at all. Do not try this beer if you do not like huckleberries. Very true to the commercial description. No syrup, doesn't tase like syrup. A very good beer, that just happens to contain fruit.

GrainBeltGuzzler (249) - Goodhue, Minnesota, USA - JUN 15, 2004
Kind of a disconcerting berry smell to start out with and I was kind of disappointed to find that the scent carried through into the flavor. Kind of like their wheatfish with a hint of berriness.

jdskinns (220) - South Roxana, Illinois, USA - OCT 10, 2010
Bottle. Pours a pale, clear yellow color with a lively, fizzy white head that goes away completely pretty quickly. Aroma is fruit, corn, and skunky. Taste is huckleberry and a below average lager. I do like how the huckleberry comes through, but that’s not really saying I like this beer. Decent carbonation and a thin, oily mouthfeel.