overall
RATINGS: 26   MEAN: 3.52/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 171   ABV: 5.7%
Hop-less is a Gruit ale brewed without hops. The base beer is much like a traditional Scottish Export Ale but it’s brewed with Marsh Rosemary, Sweet Gale, Yarrow Flowers, Rose Hips, Heather Tips, and Elder Flowers.

yespr (45443) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - FEB 22, 2010
From tap at Carlsbad. Pours hazy dark amber with a small white head. Aroma is butterish and mild roasted malty. Ginger, citrusy and caramelish malt flavoured. Ginger and citric finish.

Leighton (21239) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - APR 1, 2010
Tap at Rattle n Hum. A very interesting beer. Pours an amber-red with a soft, white head. Nose is quite fruity with floral notes. Flavor brings to mind cranberry juice. It’s sweet and quite fruity, with some of the bitter bite of cranberry. There is a raspberry herbal tea thing going on as well. Some unique spiciness adds to the fun. Finish is smooth, body and carbonation are standard. Not like anything else I can remember having.

brokensail (16449) - Dublin, California, USA - FEB 21, 2010
A: The pour is a reddish-brown, chestnut color with a thin layer of off-white foam on top. S: The first whiff of this beer really caught me off guard. I was expecting it to be overly sweet, but in fact, it has a very herbaceous nose. Among all things, there is the aroma of mint, rosemary, and a touch of tartness. T: Again, I was not entirely sure what to expect here. The slight tartness definitely comes through, and so do the herbs. There is also a bit of sweetness that might be honey. The slightly savory flavors of rosemary and sage make this a very interesting flavor indeed. M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation. D: I’ve never had one of these beers before, so I was not quite sure what I was getting myself into. That said, it was fairly interesting (and good) and a type of beer I’d look to try again.

KyotoLefty (10263) - Kyoto, JAPAN - APR 24, 2010
Draught at the Thrash Zone. Big spicy aroma, I sense ginger. Crazy. Dark brown-orange color. Sour! Caramel, tons of spice, cherry, yes, strawberry rhubarb pie seems to fit. Also sour candy drops. Wild. Unlike any beer I’ve tried. Great.

JoeMcPhee (9426) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 16, 2010
Tap at Rattle N Hum. Deep ruddy/amber pour with a thin white head. The nose is quite fruity with a distinct kiss of red grape, currant and raspberry. There is a nice nose of light mint as well as a kind of pine needle fruitiness. The flavour though is quite unusual. While there is a fairly herbal nose the flavour is dominated by a harsh sort of astringency. As it warms the nose also starts to take on a kind of sour note that is kind of distracting. Odd. It’s got some of the typical gruit character that I like, but in some other ways it doesn’t work at all.

bb (9268) - Alamo, California, USA - DEC 1, 2009
Draft. Mahogony beer with a dark cream colored head. Malt, fruit, and light spice aroma. Dark fruit and caramel flavor with spice. Medium bodied. Dark fruit and caramel lingers with a little earthiness.

blipp (9268) - La Mesa, California, USA - APR 3, 2010
Draft. Pours orange brown with a thin head. Sweet fruity aroma with some light herbal notes. The flavor is sweet and fruity, almost citric, with some herbal flowery notes. Nice.

ben4321 (6504) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - MAY 10, 2010
Location: Tap at Hop Devil, 4/10/10

Aroma: Some spice/ginger notes, some malts, and maybe some fruit
Appearance: This one pours a reddish-brown color
Flavor: The taste is pretty strange, with some spice/malty flavors
Palate: Light-medium body, quite smooth as well
Overall Impression: This stuff is real weird, sort of a strange Flemish sort of beer. I’m not sure what to make of it, but I do know it’s not really for me. It isn’t bad, and it isn’t poorly made, I just can’t see myself rushing out to drink it again.

riversideAK (6261) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - JAN 24, 2010
Smells like blueberries and rye bread to me. My retard olactory system can’t pick up much else except some motherfucking flowers. Fuck. Dark amber pour, foam ring around the edge. Flowers, blueberries and some motherfucking herbs man. Flower petals, starch, hmmm...

TimE (5817) - Tokyo, JAPAN - APR 15, 2010
Cloudy amber red. Off white head. Freshly baked rubarb and strawberry pie with the sourness to go with it. Very malty. Unsweetened strawberry slurpy, slight sour- very strange. Top marks. I love this. Nothing like i’ve tried before