Green Flash West Coast IPA (-2013)

overall
RATINGS: 2087   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   IBU: 95   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
Editor’s Note: If you had the 8.1% abv version marketed since 2014 as a Double India Pale Ale, this is the wrong beer page. Please rate under Green Flash West Coast IPA (2014 -).

This West Coast-Style India Pale Ale is extravagantly hopped, full flavored, medium bodied and copper colored. A menagerie of hops is combined throughout the brewing process to impart specific characteristics. Hops used include Simcoe for a unique fruitiness and grapefruit zest, Columbus for strong hop pungency, Centennial for pine and citrus notes, and Cascade for floral aroma.

psbrewlvr (15) - Palm Springs, California, USA - JUL 19, 2007
Another great west coast IPA, can’t wait to try ale smiths,,,,this one is lighter than stones but close to Wipe out IPA great if they could blend em all. Another GREAT BREW

chronictonic (490) - Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 30, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2009 I’m re-rating this on 3/10/09 - original review is below. Why the perfect rating? For me, it’s the perfect IPA. It’s the perfect balance of hop bitterness, hop flavors, malt body, aromas, carbonation etc. If I’m not trying new beers, there’s not a single beer that I can think of that I’d rather have than this one. It’s the only perfect RB score I’ve ever given and probably will ever give.

bottle / tap - wherever I can get it
I can’t believe I haven’t rated this one. Since Spring ’08 when we could get this in Philly, this has been my "must keep around the house" IPA. Big hop aromas, good malt body w/o the biscuity toastiness so many IPAs have these days. Good crisp hop bite and more importantly, the flavor of the hops is really nicely done - citrusy grapefruit and resiny pine in a nice mix.

All summer we’ve been able to get this with blue labels. The other night, someone brought over a green labeled version. Not sure if that’s s different beer or not (it sure tasted different, but that was after quite a few other beers).

mrhoppy (1196) - Santa Clara, California, USA - APR 13, 2009
So many beers owe a debt to Vinnie the the father of super hopped beers this is an excellent example and Vinnie would be proud. Over the top aroma, great taste and super hopped. Damn good.

aaronh2012 (92) - Maryland, USA - NOV 13, 2009
One of my favorite beers. Clipper City’s Loose Cannon is my standby but only because it’s about 20% cheaper. I try to keep both on hand. The only beer I’ve had with a stronger hop aroma is Russian River Pliny the Elder. The Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, Cascade, and Amarillo hops give a very complex aroma but over time it’s possible to pick each out. The hops are complemented by an excellent maltiness. The first few times I had the beer I was overwhelmed by the hops but lately it seems the maltiness is really shining through.

weem25 (4) - USA - MAY 12, 2010 does not count
My favorite beer. Wonderful hop flavor. Bitter ang grassy. Cant ask for more.

jrnyc500 (1) - USA - AUG 14, 2010 does not count
I love this stuff!! Great smell, looks great in a glass and very unique taste. This is my favorite beer!

MisterSparkle (29) - California, USA - MAY 30, 2011
Bottle to tumbler @ home. OK....here’s the deal. If you don’t like bitterness, don’t order an IPA. The only existing negative reviews for this beer seem to come from people who either don’t like IPAs, or from people who are too ignorant to know what an IPA is going to be. This is a perfect IPA! Pours deep amber gold, with a one finger creamy head. Very cloudy. Aroma is pine and citrus. Flavor is very heavy citrus, which finishes very long. This beer deserves a session, because nothing will taste sufficient after having this one. Extremely crisp, beautifully bitter in a concoction designed around the signature of the Simcoe hop. Green Flash has created an IPA masterpiece which stands out among several other San Diego IPAs which are known for their high quality and distinct flavor. A huge treat, anytime I can grab a few of these!

acrissinger (1) - - MAY 6, 2012 does not count
Smooth but bitter. Great aroma and all around great beer. Great for casual drinking. Earthy

Gmku (302) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - SEP 1, 2013
Grassy smelling, like I like my West Coast style IPAs, and a little herby, backed up with a nice caramel and bread aroma. Darker gold with a rocky head. Light-sweet and medium-bitter, making it for me perfectly balanced. This is by far my favorite IPA.

Ctplt777 (533) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - NOV 11, 2013
This is in my opinion a perfect IPA. This is what beer is all about. The huge tropical notes, the big piny blast as you open the top, and the huge epic aroma when you pour it. This is just a world-class example of the style and in my opinion one of the best period. The taste is just out of this world, it’s bitter in the best way, it punches your mouth in the best way. This is just a wonderful perfect beer.